Historic DTC codes

Any issues related to FORScan application
rich935
Vehicle: Ford Focus SE 2.0

Re: Historic DTC codes

Post by rich935 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Thanks. I hope this helps also. I think I might try adding an additional wire from the negative battery terminal to the main contact on the body. 8 gauge or bigger right. Thanks again.

tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expe5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 am

rich935 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:59 pm
Thanks. I hope this helps also. I think I might try adding an additional wire from the negative battery terminal to the main contact on the body. 8 gauge or bigger right. Thanks again.
The ground connection I was thinking of is on the inside of the left spring tower back toward the firewall and probably under the battery tray( at least that is where it is on our Fusion and is called ground point #102) and has at least 6 black wires connected under a 12mm or 13mm bolt head. These include the PCM, MAF sensor and Transmission control module grounds and this bolt should be checked for corrosion and for tightness and possibility of adding the the 8 gauge wire connection, I referred to in my last post, from this bolt directly to the negative battery clamp.

Likely will require removal of the battery and battery box to get to. Up to you if you wish to tackle it. There is a service manual online here http://www.nicksmustangranch.com/Servic ... Manual.htm that shows how to remove the battery and tray!

Replacing that damaged negative battery cable and cleaning up the negative connection at the spring tower will not hurt anything and will likely help!

rich935

Post by rich935 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:00 am

Ok. According to this manual thing if this cable and 'TCM Adaptive Relearn Service' don't work right and the codes keep coming back then it's probably in need of a new TCM ☹️😭 I hope the cable and relearn fixes this but I won't know for sure for a while. Hopefully those fixes work. Thanks again for the help.

Links to Pictures of the old Battery cable connector if you want to see them. I'm not sure if this is normal or if someone put a few drops of some sort of other acid without permission. When I replaced the battery the battery was quite clean but this was ruined and had like a growth of white scum sort of like a mushroom. I cleaned the cable and I ended up replacing the battery cable just recently. If you know of anyway to view the keys or devices that have opened my car please let me know. Thanks again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9qg9L ... p=drivesdk

The circled part is supposed to be covered with plastic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LAQGLY ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ko7SvX ... p=drivesdk

tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expe5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:56 pm

rich935 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:00 am
Ok. According to this manual thing if this cable and 'TCM Adaptive Relearn Service' don't work right and the codes keep coming back then it's probably in need of a new TCM ☹️😭 I hope the cable and relearn fixes this but I won't know for sure for a while. Hopefully those fixes work. Thanks again for the help.

Links to Pictures of the old Battery cable connector if you want to see them. I'm not sure if this is normal or if someone put a few drops of some sort of other acid without permission. When I replaced the battery the battery was quite clean but this was ruined and had like a growth of white scum sort of like a mushroom. I cleaned the cable and I ended up replacing the battery cable just recently. If you know of anyway to view the keys or devices that have opened my car please let me know. Thanks again.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9qg9L ... p=drivesdk

The circled part is supposed to be covered with plastic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LAQGLY ... p=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ko7SvX ... p=drivesdk
I cant view those images without you granting permission but I won't need to as in the 45+yrs. I have been at this mechanic game I have seen this type of corrosion all too many times and I doubt any one opened your car and dripped acid anywhere to cause it!

This is quite normal when a battery charges and discharges as it gases Hydrogen(no open flames, sparks or smoking around batteries while in operation) gas laden with dissolved and evaporated sulphuric battery acid that condenses on the cables and surfaces close to the battery top and sides and that will react with copper wire and cracks or just through tiny pores in the insulation cover, causing it to degrade with that white corrosion and often green corrosion around copper cabling and connectors.

This was more common in the days before "maintenance free" batteries as they gassed everything externally and required frequent top ups with water and removing and cleaning and shining all the corrosion from all the clamps and connections.

It is less common today with maintenance free batteries, but maintenance free batteries are not completely gas tight and as they come to the end of there usefulness( typically around five years) they may gas more during charge and discharge than the internal venting system is able to control. Some battery brands are better at this than others and there can be variations even between batteries in the same brand and rating. No way around it! It is just the "nature of the Beast"!

As you have just replaced the battery and cable I am sure that this is what you have just experienced!

There is no way I know of to tell how many keys have ever opened a Ford car!

As to your transmission shift problem. I have not yet seen a reply where you have said that you were seeing voltage related DTC codes, High or Low in any other modules and if you remember in my first reply to you, I pointed you to a Ford Pin Point Test related to one of the codes you reported, that first you were to scan for a voltage related set of codes in any other modules and eliminate those before doing any thing else with TCM diagnosis.

If this battery and negative cable problem were causing this transmission problem then you should have been seeing voltage related codes in other modules and perhaps other abnormal module related trouble as all modules negative side current must return to the battery and charging system through the cable you just replaced.

If the TCM shift fork related codes continue with no other voltage related module codes after this then the next place to look is the bolt under the battery tray on the side of the left frame spring tower with all the black/green(ground 104 Black/Green wires after a second check at nicks mustang ranch) wires connected under the bolt head as this is where the negative current flow from the TCM and the PCM(voltage related codes in both maybe?)(There are several ground bolts in that area, check them all)back to the battery is connected and should be investigated before condemning the TCM.

Some disassembly of the battery and tray may be necessary to gain access but that is the nature of doing a proper diagnoses! Many times I have had to do some R+R work to do a diagnoses. Until that ground connection has been eliminated as being loose or otherwise dirty or corroded, the TCM cannot and should not be condemned!
I have been confused and fooled on weird electrical and electronic problems by poor ground connections too many times to count!

I have seen too many parts replaced only to have the same problem with the new part and the simpler thing was not done first and turned out to be the actual problem

If you are not comfortable with the battery tray removal job then you will have to find someone who is.

This is not to say you don't have a failing TCM, as this 6DCT250 transmission has been problematic for Ford and for Focus owners and there is even a class action lawsuit against Ford because of it. My daughter and son in law are part of the suit as they received a letter from the law firm handling the suit as first time owners of their 2013 Focus asking for permission to include their VIN number in the suit to which they agreed.

They just had the car up and die and get towed to the local Ford Dealer a couple of weeks ago and the local Ford dealer repaired it free of charge and it should be off warranty by now! Don't know for sure if it was related to the Transmission but My Son in law thought it was.

They have had several go rounds with their transmission including one TCM update that I know of and several TCM relearns and one clutch assembly replaced early on due to the early transmissions having poor and leaking input shaft seals throwing transmission fluid into the clutch assembly.

Check the lawsuit out with a Google search. You may have some help if it turns out you need some major work. Certainly can't hurt!

rich935

Post by rich935 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:51 am

The pictures should be viewable now if you want to see them (hopefully but I can't be sure.) and I think those other grounds are fine. Hopefully this issue is solved but I will find out sooner or later.

Ok on that Nick's site the 'DTC Chart - TCM' 'pinpoint test F2 or F1 to F2' for P2831
http://www.nicksmustangranch.com/Servic ... Manual.htm
It says:

Yes PERFORM the Shift Drum Adaptive Learning.
REFER to: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Adaptive Learning (307-01 Automatic Transmission - Vehicles With: 6-Speed PowerShift Transmission - DPS6/6DCT250, General Procedures).
If the Shift Fork DTCs return, INSTALL a new TCM .

Do you know if this 'if the Shift Fork DTCs return' statement means just right after the relearn or also sometime after the relearn? Just trying to clarify that a little.

Also "There is no way I know of to tell how many keys have ever opened a Ford car!" Quoted from you. If you have ever heard for the software called Elmconfig it supposedly can show the last four device IDs or keys for a Ford Focus 2 but the supposed newer software for the Ford Focus 3 which this 2013 is called "Focccus" doesn't show the keys that have opened your car. I don't really know too much about those software and I don't try to mess with any programming or settings with those or Forscan software either because I don't have Ford IDS software right now to really fix it if anything goes wrong. So if you ever hear of any kind of software that can please let me know. There is some damage to the car. The top part of the dashboard where the windshield blows air out has been broken on the driver's side and my steering wheel has been cut on the top part and a rear bulb has been switched out and touched then it burned out and I fixed it after but the problem is these people don't have permission to be in my car and break things and switch out things. I'm not sure what can be done. ☹️

Thanks again for the help. Have a nice day.

rich935

Post by rich935 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:50 pm

The DTC's are back on. I just went to warm up my car and they came back on. Last week I went to warm up the car and they didn't. I'm not sure what to do now. Does this mean it's a bad TCM or what? But now they went away idk. We'll see next week. I guess.