Support of J2534 (Pass-Thru) adapters in FORScan v2.2.*

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Re: Support of J2534 (Pass-Thru) adapters in FORScan v2.2.*

Post by Andyfocus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:12 pm

£60 for vx-diag vcx-nano with ids v106.9 works with forscan all version supporting pass-threw
all sold out now cheapest is £70 for the exact same can only find one at that price then goes up to £76 - $99
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .

stimpy88
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Mk4.5 - Diesel 2.0, 163, 2013

Post by stimpy88 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Andyfocus wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:12 pm
£60 for vx-diag vcx-nano with ids v106.9 works with forscan all version supporting pass-threw
all sold out now cheapest is £70 for the exact same can only find one at that price then goes up to £76 - $99
Thanks for that Andy.

Do I read you correctly in stating that you also get a working copy of IDS with this adaptor? Is this the kind of adaptor your talking about?

If so, what is your opinion of it? Is it a good quality adaptor for ForScan, and is it better, more stable/faster than generic ELM or ST17xx adaptors, and does it see all the modules in your car?

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:27 pm

stimpy88 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 pm
Andyfocus wrote:
Thanks for that Andy.

Do I read you correctly in stating that you also get a working copy of IDS with this adaptor? Is this the kind of adaptor your talking about?

If so, what is your opinion of it? Is it a good quality adaptor for ForScan, and is it better, more stable/faster than generic ELM or ST17xx adaptors, and does it see all the modules in your car?
yes & yes got mine of bay though not amaz ,works great with forscan and very fast , and yes all modules .
people who use search are gonna hate this reply cause it means they will have to read everything :)
was gonna give some links for a a way of getting the new ids free but due to free loaders and people who didnt seem to think i helped i stopped half way threw after reading a thread this morning .

ReverendJasen
Vehicle: Ford Escape

Post by ReverendJasen » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:08 am

I've been looking at that Nano adapter for a minute myself. To get a J2534 for that price would be amazing, so I'm happy to hear someone has already taken the gamble to test one. :) I definitely need to try one of these out now.

Fair warning about the one on Amazon that comes with IDS... what it comes with is a virtual HD image of a Windows install that has a licensed copy of IDS installed on it. If this has set off any red flags yet, you're right. Legally, this isn't a legit copy of IDS (trying to avoid using the "p" word) and as such it can't be updated, supported, etc. Some features may not work at all if they require communications with Rotunda's servers. Luckily, you don't really need IDS, these sellers are just including it as a way to entice people to buy the adapter.

This same manufacturer (AllScanner) makes a larger J2534 device they call the VCX Plus (red version) that has more features than the Nano, and can be found for around $220. It looks just like a Bosch VCMII clone.

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:14 am

it was same with the one i bought it comes as an image this way if you break it is easy to fix.
just install a vm that comes with it put image in load it up connect device connect to car done.

i also have a tcs-cdp ( 2 board excellent clone one ) but cant get it to work with forscan , works with wow and delphi on every car including mine shows everything including live data from all module inc airbag system values etc , but wont with forscan :( .

stimpy88

Post by stimpy88 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:02 am

Andyfocus wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:27 pm
stimpy88 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 pm
Andyfocus wrote:
Thanks for that Andy.

yes & yes got mine of bay though not amaz ,works great with forscan and very fast , and yes all modules .
people who use search are gonna hate this reply cause it means they will have to read everything :)
was gonna give some links for a a way of getting the new ids free but due to free loaders and people who didnt seem to think i helped i stopped half way threw after reading a thread this morning .
Well, I went ahead and ordered one a couple of days ago, and am trying to wait patiently for it to arrive. I will do a full review of it here when I'm up to speed on it. It does (on paper) seem to be a great price for a J2534 pass through adaptor, and it's a huge jump to the Pro + model, at well over £200.

To be honest, I'm a little fed up with the lack of new features in ForScan for my Mondeo. I'm fed up with giving the garage my money, when I could be doing this stuff myself. However, in saying this, I still love ForScan, and will thoroughly test it with this new adaptor, and it will be part of my review.

I'm sorry you have had a problem here with trying to share your knowledge, and do something nice for the community, which is pretty bad here to be honest, due to the lack of interest from the devs. I would love to know what you have found out, but I respect your decision.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I would be interested in hearing what you think of IDS, if your up for it?!?

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 am

ids is good but can be a bit slow , forscan is faster for run of the mill stuff , but ids can do things that forscan currently cant .
the adaptor runs as fast as the 500k elms probably faster but not sure what forscan can take bandwidth wise , just install the drivers and away you go with forscan and the supplyied software . i did write what i found , just not gonna write what its called this way the ones who come and just look still cant get it with out hard work searching , i also got a code calc for the pats system as well :) .
it will teach the people who come and just post crud as their first post and not help others , i may sent a link to a few who i know help others or if the devs require it for moving forward with forscan .if they dont know it already that is .
This is NOT a hint for people to randomly start messaging me or they will find that the ignore button works great.
Last edited by Andyfocus on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stimpy88

Post by stimpy88 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Andyfocus wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 am
ids is good but can be a bit slow , forscan is faster for run of the mill stuff , but ids can do things that forscan currently cant .
the adaptor runs as fast as the 500k elms probably faster but not sure what forscan can take bandwidth wise , just install the drivers and away you go with forscan and the supplyied software . i did write what i found , just not gonna write what its called this way the ones who come and just look still cant get it with out hard work searching , i also got a code calc for the pats system as well :) .
it will teach the people who come and just post crud as their first post and not help others , i may sent a link to a few who i know help others or if the devs require it for moving forward with forscan .if they dont know it already that is .
This is NOT a hint for people to randomly start messaging me or they will that the ignore button works great.
Wow, sounds like you have had real problems here... My experience is pretty much the same. I used to be here quite a bit when I was a beta tester, but the devs left, and I now only drop by a handful of times per year, just to see if the devs are here and interacting, and to help a few people out.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your finding on this adaptor. The company I bought mine from seems to have gone quiet, so I have no idea when to expect the thing to turn up.

What has been your experience regarding online functionality in IDS, such as firmware updates? Is it possible, or is there a paywall with a blue oval drawn on it stopping this? In general, how much can you do without an account?

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 pm

everything has changed in the last month as you may know , if you had a free account before , i could program modules etc , but not pats as mine is the new type requiring you log in ,now im not sure but i would use a vpn if you try now as you have to be a garage or a registered bussiness owner or employee ,requiring a business email etc just to log in , all free account have to be converted in to one of the Categories .

as far i know if you email the team here they do reply fairly fast , and help out , dont know whos left of the original team as i havent been a member for long .

as for all the crud from the one posters they all seem to be coming from the f150 forum ,their first response seems to be ask here , hence all the new accounts popping up .but they dont like it when you tell them to use the search function as the same question is asked over and over with the same reply ,and when they do search they dont read the thread they just post the same question even when the last post gives the direct link to what they wanted , and when you point it out they get up set , go figure lol .

stimpy88

Post by stimpy88 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:51 pm

Andyfocus wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 pm
everything has changed in the last month as you may know , if you had a free account before , i could program modules etc , but not pats as mine is the new type requiring you log in ,now im not sure but i would use a vpn if you try now as you have to be a garage or a registered bussiness owner or employee ,requiring a business email etc just to log in , all free account have to be converted in to one of the Categories .

as far i know if you email the team here they do reply fairly fast , and help out , dont know whos left of the original team as i havent been a member for long .

as for all the crud from the one posters they all seem to be coming from the f150 forum ,their first response seems to be ask here , hence all the new accounts popping up .but they dont like it when you tell them to use the search function as the same question is asked over and over with the same reply ,and when they do search they dont read the thread they just post the same question even when the last post gives the direct link to what they wanted , and when you point it out they get up set , go figure lol .
Thanks for the reply, but this is my first step into IDS, and I know nothing about it, other than some basics...

So are you saying that before a month ago, you could, as a free user, upgrade firmware in the car, but now that functionally is gone? Does this lockdown affect anything else? You can still diagnose and run service procedures with IDS?

My Nano shipped today, so hopefully I should get it before the end of next week.