Problems with OBDLink MX WiFi

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
FORScan
Site Admin

Problems with OBDLink MX WiFi

Post by FORScan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:48 am

Some time ago we recommended the OBDLink MX WiFi adapter to our users, especially if they use version for iPhone. But recently we found a problem with this adapter: it works very unstable on new Ford EcoSport 2014. It looks like the WiFi module in this adapter has some kind of interference protection problems. China clones work fine in the same environment.

We tested on beta version of the OBDLink MX WiFi adapter, so there is a chance the problem is solved in release version. Anyway, we have send request about this problem to Scantool.net and look forward for their reply. We cannot recommend the OBDLink MX WiFi adapter to our users anymore, at least until the moment the issue is clarified.

JigaNet
Vehicle: Ford Fiesta 2014 HB PS

Re: Problems with OBDLink MX WiFi

Post by JigaNet » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17 pm

Yep! I'm facing the same problem!

Got my OBDLink WiFi three days ago!

I get intermitent connections, when you have an stable connection, and accelerate, the connection gets lost!

I'ts strange because the ObdLink software works great! so I doubt it's a HW problem.

My OBDLink revision is: 2.3/R2 Manufactured date: 2014/09/03

Thanks,

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:53 am

We guess you tested it on Windows version of FORScan? And OBDLink software was tried on the same PC?

Are you sure the OBDLink software works stable for, let's say 5 minutes? Is it possible to get any logs from OBDLink to make sure?

If so, it means our intial assumption about interference protection problems was wrong, and we have to research the problem further.

JigaNet
Vehicle: Ford Fiesta 2014 HB PS

Post by JigaNet » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi, Sure!

Here are some logs, this logs are not debuging logs of the App because I don't know how to get them. (on both apps), but maybe it will give you a lead.

I have used the iOS App (OBDLink) extensively gathering data for periods of 40 minutes, and very stable, no drops on connections.

I'm Using FORScan on an PC, a VMware VM(windows 8), for the logs I used the same Mac using VMware Fusion with a Windows 8 VM.

The curios thing is that today It worked flawlessly, the last time I tested, It couldn't keep up with the live data, If I pushed the accelerator it would lost the connection immediately, but today it worked perfectly.

Thanks,

PD: Does the App in the AppStore, have an option of logging for debugging purposes ? I haven't made the purchase because of the possibility of the application becoming useless due to the current problem (not manifested today).
Attachments
OBDwizLogs.zip
OBDwiz Logs
(26.91 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
FORScanLogs.zip
FORScan Logs
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:30 pm

We had no chance yet to test this issue, but still try to do it in nearest time. Actually, we already got an idea of what may be wrong with FORScan over OBDLink MX, just need to check it.

Answering your question:
JigaNet wrote: PD: Does the App in the AppStore, have an option of logging for debugging purposes ? I haven't made the purchase because of the possibility of the application becoming useless due to the current problem (not manifested today).
FORScan Lite version has the same logging abiilities, including internal FORScan logs (if your question is about it). You can also save user logs to txt, live data to fsl and csv.

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Information from one of OBDLink MX WiFi users sent to support:
I had problems to establish a stable connection with a OBDLink MX WiFi and a Ford Focus Mk1.

I found out, when I disable WiFi on my iPhone, then the connection is fine. When I activate it, the phone is also connecting to the OBDLink (as the notebook with FORScan) and this seems to mess up the connection.

For me the issue is solved, maybe this could help the others
So, the idea is that when OBDLink MX is in open WiFi mode (anyone can connect), other WiFi devices (phones, tablets, laptops etc) may try to connect to it. This, it seems, affects the OBDLink MX RF performance. We have not tested this solution yet but going to do it.