iPhone Lite and WiFi adapter (DPF readings)

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
alchemyx
Vehicle: Mazda 5 2.0 RF-7J '2008 (80 kW)

iPhone Lite and WiFi adapter (DPF readings)

Post by alchemyx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:57 am

Hello,

First of all I would like to say I am very thankful for Forscan. It is great piece of software
and I appreciate your hard work. I was asking support time some time ago how to
make small financial contribution and there was no way to do that. Now there is -
I can buy iPhone Lite software and I will do it :).

Now I have few questions. I need iPhone version for quickly checking DPF status
(PIDs: PM_GEN, PM_ACC, PM_ACC_DSD and exhaust pressure). I was wondering
if it is possible to check them with iPhone version and WiFi adapter? That adapter
doesn't have HS/MS switch, so will it still work fine?

Will the same adapter work with Forscan for Windows? What functions will be missing
because of lacking switch (I guess access to FFH, EATC, GEM?)

If I would open adapter and try to add switch will it be supported or Forscan will just assume
that there is no switch with WiFi adapter?

And last - if I change Encryption type for that adapter will it affect Forscan in any way? I just don't
want to have it open wifi network connecting directly to my car :)

Thank you!

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: iPhone Lite and WiFi adapter (DPF readings)

Post by FORScan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:39 am

alchemyx wrote: First of all I would like to say I am very thankful for Forscan. It is great piece of software
and I appreciate your hard work. I was asking support time some time ago how to
make small financial contribution and there was no way to do that. Now there is -
I can buy iPhone Lite software and I will do it :)
alchemyx wrote:Now I have few questions. I need iPhone version for quickly checking DPF status
(PIDs: PM_GEN, PM_ACC, PM_ACC_DSD and exhaust pressure). I was wondering
if it is possible to check them with iPhone version and WiFi adapter? That adapter
doesn't have HS/MS switch, so will it still work fine?
If FORScan reads these PIDs for your vehicle in Windows version, it will do it in iPhone version/WiFi adapter too. But service functions and tests are not available in FORScan Lite. MS-CAN bus is not necessary for reading PCM PIDs as PCM is always on HS-CAN.
alchemyx wrote:Will the same adapter work with Forscan for Windows? What functions will be missing
because of lacking switch (I guess access to FFH, EATC, GEM?)
For 2008 Mazda 5 2.0 RF-T - yes, FFH, EATC and GEM.
alchemyx wrote:If I would open adapter and try to add switch will it be supported or Forscan will just assume
that there is no switch with WiFi adapter?
FORScan has no real way to find out if the adapter is equipped with the HS/MS switch, except ask user about it. When you connect to the vehicle first time, FORScan reads the vehicle configuration and, if MS-CAN modules are expected, it asks user about HS/MS CAN switch. If adapter has no switch, FORScan will not be able to find any MS-CAN modules. It will save the detected configuration to the vehicle profile and on the next connect to this vehicle it will not look for MS-CAN modules already, and not ask about the HS/MS CAN switch presence accordingly. So if you mount the HS/MS CAN switch later, you will need to remove the vehicle profile. In Windows it can be done using Vehicle->Profiles tab, in iPhone version you need to use the Clear Cache function of the Service menu on the Vehicle screen. When the profile is removed, FORScan will re-read the vehicle configuration and asks about HS/MS-CAN switch again.
alchemyx wrote: And last - if I change Encryption type for that adapter will it affect Forscan in any way? I just don't
want to have it open wifi network connecting directly to my car :)
FORScan works with WiFi adapter on an upper layer, it doesn't care about the channel implementatio, encryption etc. So it should not. But the WiFi module in the adapter (especially if we are talking about a china clone) may have some problems with such a mode of work. So it is recommended to check before use it.

alchemyx
Vehicle: Mazda 5 2.0 RF-7J '2008 (80 kW)

Re: iPhone Lite and WiFi adapter (DPF readings)

Post by alchemyx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Thank you for quick reply. Now everything is clear. Thank you!