New to Forscan and Ford trucks

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
KCRebel
Vehicle: Ford F250 Platinum 6.7

New to Forscan and Ford trucks

Post by KCRebel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:34 am

Need help selecting an adapter and obd connector? I have several iPads, MacBooks to work with. I also have one pc laptop for emergency uses.
Needs to be apple/mac friendly unless that limits what I can do in forscan?
Sorry if this has already been addressed. Lots of the posts that came up when I searched were several years old. Tech changes at hyperspeed.

ozon8r
Vehicle: F250 PSD 2018

Re: New to Forscan and Ford trucks

Post by ozon8r » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:20 am

I was in the same boat. Last night, I downloaded Parallels in trial version good for 14 days and it included Windows 10 trial, all for free. I just today used the Macbook pro running Windows 10 in Parallels, downloaded the 2.3.17 beta within Windows 10, started the program, connected the OBDII adapter I purchased off amazon for $19, and everything connected and worked without issue. I was just out of pocket for the OBDII adapter link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1 ... UTF8&psc=1.

Now, if I want to make changes after the trial, I may have to pony up $79 for Parallels and $120 for Windows 10 (I think) to make later adjustments.

Good luck.

Matt

KCRebel
Vehicle: Ford F250 Platinum 6.7

Re: New to Forscan and Ford trucks

Post by KCRebel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Quick update to my own thread. I just picked up a pc laptop on sale at Best Buy for $250 and the wired adaptor off amazon for $30. Of course my luck the adapter was either wired wrong or the label for the HS/MS switch was applied in reverse. Took several attempts with the awesome mods of this forum to figure that out as I couldn't access all of the modules. Once we figured that out I was able to make all of the changes I wanted to make. I'm not at all comfortable exposing any of my macs to windows via parallels. If you look there are some real bad endings for people that did this so I would suggest to proceed with caution. Of course now I have nearly $300 paperweight but peace of mind was worth the investment.
Still looking for a wireless scanner that will work with my iPhones/ipads for longer trips and viewing PID's.