cdm driver not working but prolific does! Admin?

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
martin123
Vehicle: transit connect 2003 1.8 tddi

cdm driver not working but prolific does! Admin?

Post by martin123 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Ok,earlier I tried to connect to a transit with version 2.3.13 & could NOT connect with my elm327 cable OR my mxlink Bluetooth adaptor. So I thought my devices had been bricked because of the supposed ftdi cdm update a while back.
So anyway I tried my other hard drive and this one connects no bother. I have noticed however that this version is 2.3.12 and also, in device manager my driver is prolific usb to serial 1.
Haven't tried mxlink yet.
Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Admin?
Update:
Just tried hard drive with cdm ftdi driver and would still not connect.so I downloaded prolific usb to serial driver 3.3.2.102 and it connects no bother.wtf!
Now this definitely has something to do with cdm driver because I know I used to just use cdm drivers with zero issues for years! Admin,do you have any idea?
So if anyone is having problems give this a try maybe. Thanks

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: cdm driver not working but prolific does! Admin?

Post by FORScan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:53 am

Type of used drivers depends on USB to UART chip in your adapters. There are several types. Most popular are: FTDI, Prolific, Silicon Labs and CH34x. So FTDI and Prolific are 2 different type of drivers that are not compatible with each other. If you have FTDI chip, you use FTDI drivers. If you have Prolific chip, you use Prolific drivers and so on. When you insert your device first time, by default Windows tries to download & install right drivers from Microsoft update center. So if it installed Prolific drivers and it works, it means your adapter has Prolific USB 2 UART chip. We have no idea how it worked with FTDI drivers earlier. Also, please note that FORScan doesn't manage USB drivers installation, so no matter what the FORScan version is, it cannot affect the version of drivers you installed.

martin123
Vehicle: transit connect 2003 1.8 tddi

Re: cdm driver not working but prolific does! Admin?

Post by martin123 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks for the reply. Might be better making a sticky regarding this matter no?
I've seen a lot of connection problems which might be down to this reason.and it's a shame to see folk give up on a top class app just because of a connection or driver issue.
Ps:this WNE THING. what is it? Never heard of it before