Please setup adapter first

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
amar1994
Vehicle: Mazda 3 BL 1.6 MZ-CD DPF, 1560ccm , 85KW , 2012

Please setup adapter first

Post by amar1994 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello and first of all best regards to everybody from Bosnia ;)

I have recently bought an ELM v 1.5 bluetooth chinese clone device . I connected it to the car with no problems , and it works with Torque aplication , however when I enter FORScan app it recognizes device but says: "Please setup adapter first" .

Can you help me , also if this is device related and there is no way to establish connection between ELM device and FORScan , do anybody at least knows custom DPF PID for 1.6 TDCi/1.6CD 85KW/115HP engine so I can add it to torque app . :)

I don't have any issues with the car and just want to monitor it from time to time.

Thanks in advance ;)

Cellular-Decay
Vehicle: Mazda MX-5 2.0L 2011 (GT PRHT)

Re: Please setup adapter first

Post by Cellular-Decay » Tue May 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Unfortunately there are a lot of crappy, fake ELM327 devices out there, and FORScan is more picky about the adapter because it needs to access more than generic OBD data.

I have 3 different, inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 adapters that work, although 1 is slow and performs poorly. You can read about them here:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 167#p15167

FYI: The version 1.5 devices are not clones. There was no true ELM327 version 1.5. The 1.5 versions have Chinese firmware rather than cloned ELM firmware (only the very early ELM327 v1.0 devices could actually be cloned). That being said, all of my devices are version 1.5 as well, and they work. So either there is something wrong with your device that makes it incompatible with FORScan, or it's not actually version 1.5 and was falsely sold as such (all of the Chinese version 2.1 devices are scams).

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Wed May 24, 2017 2:33 am

amar1994 wrote: however when I enter FORScan app it recognizes device but says: "Please setup adapter first" .
If we are talking about FORScan Lite for Android, this message ("Please setup adapter first") is displayed when FORScan doesn't see the adapter. Please check in Settings section, the adapter should be displayed in the list. If it is not, please make sure you have Bluetooth 0 connection type, Bluetooth is ON and the adapter is successfully paired with your Android device.

amar1994

Post by amar1994 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 am

Cellular-Decay wrote:Unfortunately there are a lot of crappy, fake ELM327 devices out there, and FORScan is more picky about the adapter because it needs to access more than generic OBD data.

I have 3 different, inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 adapters that work, although 1 is slow and performs poorly. You can read about them here:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 167#p15167

FYI: The version 1.5 devices are not clones. There was no true ELM327 version 1.5. The 1.5 versions have Chinese firmware rather than cloned ELM firmware (only the very early ELM327 v1.0 devices could actually be cloned). That being said, all of my devices are version 1.5 as well, and they work. So either there is something wrong with your device that makes it incompatible with FORScan, or it's not actually version 1.5 and was falsely sold as such (all of the Chinese version 2.1 devices are scams).
Thank you for your suggestions and help ;) , much appreciated :)

amar1994

Post by amar1994 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:21 am

FORScan wrote:Hello,
amar1994 wrote: however when I enter FORScan app it recognizes device but says: "Please setup adapter first" .
If we are talking about FORScan Lite for Android, this message ("Please setup adapter first") is displayed when FORScan doesn't see the adapter. Please check in Settings section, the adapter should be displayed in the list. If it is not, please make sure you have Bluetooth 0 connection type, Bluetooth is ON and the adapter is successfully paired with your Android device.

Regards,
FORScan Team
Thank you for your fast reply and willingness to help me .

I tried bluetooth 0 and adapter is paired with the phone , also app recognises it but shows the same message :?

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Thu May 25, 2017 6:42 am

amar1994 wrote:I tried bluetooth 0 and adapter is paired with the phone , also app recognises it but shows the same message :?
If adapter is paired, and FORScan is able to recognize it must not show the message ("Please set up adapter first"). Please check your PM for log reguest.

amar1994

Post by amar1994 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 am

FORScan wrote:
amar1994 wrote:I tried bluetooth 0 and adapter is paired with the phone , also app recognises it but shows the same message :?
If adapter is paired, and FORScan is able to recognize it must not show the message ("Please set up adapter first"). Please check your PM for log reguest.
Thnaks , will do ;)