Unable to connect to Vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
newsam3
Vehicle: 2015 Focus ST, 2.0, 250HP

Unable to connect to Vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by newsam3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:43 pm

I got a China Elm327 modified adapters and wanna use it to unlock some features for my new APIM (sync3).
But i have no luck to make it works. It says"Unable to connect to Vehicle. Please make sure the ignition key is on and try again".

Do you think is my setting problem or the elm327 problem?

Below are the saved log, message and the driver of my elm327.

(OK) [20:29:56.702] Connection to adapter has been established: COM3
(OK) [20:29:56.703] Adapter: ELM327 v1.5
(ERR) [20:29:58.300] Unable to connect to vehicle. Please make
sure the ignition key is ON and try again

Any experts here can help me out? Appreciate in advance.
Attachments
error2.png
error2.png (71.87 KiB) Viewed 19089 times
error.png
error.png (82.31 KiB) Viewed 19089 times

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: Unable to connect to Vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by FORScan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:05 am

As discussed in support, this seems to be a problem with CAN bus (in CAN output circuit) of the adapter.

Todd Ector
Vehicle: 2004 F150 XLT , 5.4 3v sohc 300hp

Post by Todd Ector » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:23 am

I suspect that one of two things are happening to you:

1. You have a bad windows driver, a extremely common and annoying problem when dealing with USB to com port adapter IC's. You might say that you don't have a com port because you are using a USB connection but you would be mistaken as the ELM interface "talks" or translates OBDII communication to and from a serial protocol. My first Chinese clone had that issue, it took a week or two to find the proper driver and convince windows that it was the proper driver. Once I figured out the right chip and version I finally found the right driver.

As a side note I recently received my ELS27 OBDII cable which also communicates over USB through the same kind of bus, the good people that are making and selling them provided me with a direct like to download the right driver for the interface chip that they are using, they actually had to have the company write a new driver to make it easier for the users to install and use their products.

It's a more expensive cable/adapter but to me it's worth it to have a fast, stable and more capable unit, it not only does the standard OBDII, MSCAN and MSCAN but also the newer ICAN, that is the bus that controls the colour displays in the newer instrument clusters.

I had a look for my best guess is the proper driver for your tool, http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_EXE.html is the link for the latest driver right from the IC manufacturer for your tool.

or 2. It's simply a defective clone.

newsam3
Vehicle: 2015 Focus ST, 2.0, 250HP

Post by newsam3 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks so much for the FORScan team and Todd, you guys are genius!

You guys were right, i got a bad clone and the seller dont even reply my message after I raised the problem.

But anyway, since it is just a USD 5 adapter, so i dumped it and brought a ELS27 as FORScan team suggested. So far, the ELS27 is fast and stable.
Hopefully this ELS27 clone can last long enough for its USD 40 value.

Now, i m starting to program the code for the APIM, some works and some dont...LOL

Thanks again!

Doan Tuan
Vehicle: Ecosport, Ti-VCT, 1.5L, 2014

Post by Doan Tuan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:37 am

Many thanks to FORScan Team!
I bought a China clone and spend some days trying to connect the interface unsuccessfully. With your right driver, I could establish the connection even on a virtual Windows 10 running on a Macbook! You're a genius team!!! ;)

capocvi
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Fusion SE 4Cyl 2.5L

Post by capocvi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Im having this same issue 2 years later lol. Same exact error even though my adapter is elm327 v1.4. Can someone help me? I have the correct drivers. Is it my connector maybe? i have this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0 ... UTF8&psc=1 . Is it a bad clone?

IzzyPR
Vehicle: 2014 Fiesta ST

Post by IzzyPR » Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am

I'm getting the same message with this one as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0 ... UTF8&psc=1

pelletij
Vehicle: Ford Escape SE, 4cy 2L turbo ecoboost, 2014

Post by pelletij » Tue May 14, 2019 2:32 am

Me either, was so excited to get this OBII https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0...UTF8&psc=1 and it doesn't connect to my vehicle. Grrr. The manufacturer did enclose a card with drivers etc. Do I need one of these drivers for windows 10? Thanks

WildBill
Vehicle: lincoln, 3.7L, 305 horse power, 2011

Post by WildBill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:48 pm

I have an Bluetooth ELM327 from TotalCarDiagnostic.com and it previously worked with Forscan. I'm using a Bluetooth dongle, which also checks out as it can see other devices. Today I'm unable to connect Forscan to the ELM. I tried connecting with the ignition in the full off position, then one button click on the start button which does turn on the "accessories", then one more push on the start button. This brings the car to it's ready to start position. Normally you would press this button with your foot on the brake to start the engine. None of these 3 position was I able to connect. I also have the TOAD software from TotalCarDiagnostic so I closed the Forscan software and started the TOAD software. The system now connected perfectly. I previously had a problem like this and followed the troubleshooting guide. MY bluetooth was connecting on COM7 so I went into device manager and changed the port setting from 9600 to 110 as recommended. This setting continued to work until today. I also deleted the Forscan profile that was created and tried again to connect and still nothing. So this is where I'm stuck while trying to add navigation to my Sync2 3.08 system.

WildBill
Vehicle: lincoln, 3.7L, 305 horse power, 2011

Post by WildBill » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:51 pm

As a last ditch effort I uninstalled Forscan 2.3.22 Beta EL2 and reinstalled the software. This worked and now I'm connected. Now I can get as far as item 7 on the enable navigation on Sync2 MyFord Touch says "click on the icon that looks like microchip and under the Configuration and Programming tab, select APIM and press the play button ( run service procedure on bottom left). The next page that shows up is not as indicated, this opens a second tab "APIM Module Configuration" and lists the status of each element in the module. The page with the numbers and values of the APIM module does not show up. How do I get to this page? I've been there before in an earlier attempt to do this re-programming of line 7D0-01-02. This first attempt did not work so I'm trying again.