USB connector works for 2009 Ranger not for 2000 Lincoln

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
pragmatic
Vehicle: Lincoln LS 3.0L MT 2000; Ranger 2009 2.3L MT

USB connector works for 2009 Ranger not for 2000 Lincoln

Post by pragmatic » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm

I purchased a Ford Modified ELM 327 (with can switch) USB connector. Its a V2.1, my laptop (Windows 8.1) show it as a"Universal Serial Bus controller" Made by FTDI and as a USB Serial Converter FT232 USB UART.

When I connect up to my 2009 Ford Ranger (2.3L 5MT, if that matters) every thing works. I find all modules and can monitor performance. I have not tried to change anything since this vehicle is running fine.

When I attempt to connect to my 2000 Lincoln LS (3.0L, 5MT if that matters) I get unable to connect, turn ignition switch on errors. I have tried with the switch in the run position and with the car running.

Since it works fine for the Ranger I'm at a loss as to where the connection problem lies. The Lincoln runs fine but has several errors. There is an ABS error for the right front and left rear sensor. I have changed both sensor but the error remains, I suspect a ground problem. The brake warning light comes on after driving for a while I temporarily bypassed both the parking brake switch and the fluid level sensor switch but I still got the error. I also occasionally lose my odometer (displays dashes) I can get it to return by cycling the switch. I don't think any of these problems is not allowing the program to sense that the ignition switch is on.

Any ideas on how I should proceed to fix this connection problem. I'd buy a different connector but since it works for one car I don't think it is an issue (I could be wrong).

Thanks

pragmatic
Vehicle: Lincoln LS 3.0L MT 2000; Ranger 2009 2.3L MT

Re: USB connector works for 2009 Ranger not for 2000 Lincoln

Post by pragmatic » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Any ideas why the adapter works for the Ranger but not the Lincoln LS?

bizkitt
Vehicle: Mondeo MK4, 2.0 TDCI, 138hp, 2007

Re: USB connector works for 2009 Ranger not for 2000 Lincoln

Post by bizkitt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello pragmatic, a simple answer would be that the 2009 Ranger is a CAN car and your ELM`s CAN pair work OK and the 2000 Lincoln is older than CAN protocol and has K and L line.. which means that your ELM`s K and L line might not work, try to hook it up to anything before 2005ish and if you cant get any comms it means your ELM has an issue with pre-CAN cars.