Where to buy a compatible adapter?

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
SteveE
Vehicle: C-Max 1.6 TDCi 115PS 2012

Re: Where to buy a compatible adapter?

Post by SteveE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:09 pm

This site is highly recommended for low cost USB, WiFi and Bluetooth modified ELM327 : http://www.tunnelratelectronics.co.uk

archer973
Vehicle: Explorer 4.0 L V6 SOHC 1998

Post by archer973 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:49 pm

I purchased BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices from Amazon. It works great with FORScan and my Samsung Phone and LG tablet. Also used it with my boss' laptop running Windows, but I don't remember the laptop brand or Windows version. Was able to use FORScan to program new keys with this adapter and the laptop. This is the current link on AmazonSmile for this product (AmazonSmile is the same as Amazon but with each purchase AmazonSmile makes a donation to the charity you choose). https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Patata
Vehicle: Ford Focus 1.8tdci 115cv, 2003

Post by Patata » Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello, anybody have a interface working with Forscan in Focus 1.8tdci mk1? Wifi modem? Any have it buy in AliExpress? Regards

Cellular-Decay
Vehicle: Mazda MX-5 2.0L 2011 (GT PRHT)

Post by Cellular-Decay » Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 pm

TL;DR: Get the Hikeren!

I have three different cheap ELM327 Bluetooth models that work with FORScan (the 3rd one was a surprise because it's kind of a POS). They were all purchased from Amazon (links below) and prices are current as of the date of this post (price in parenthesis is what they were at time of purchase). These work on Android and Windows devices, but like many other Bluetooth products, they don't play well with Apple iOS (due to Apple's incomplete/crappy implementation of Bluetooth).

1. BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool for Android: $21.99 ($19.99)
The first one has been mentioned already in this thread. It supports more protocols than the others, but it is larger and more expensive (although still very affordable). I used the BAFX in my 2011 Mazda MX-5 for more than a year, leaving it in and on all the time, and other than protruding down into the footwell a bit, it worked great. I have also used it to troubleshoot cars belonging to several friends as well. It pairs and connects quickly and stays connected without issue.

2. Hikeren Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scan Tool (with power switch) for Android: $11.99 ($9.99)
While the BAFX did not protrude down far enough to interfere with driving (in my car, YMMV), I did find myself bumping it when getting in and out, so I decided to give one of the tiny ones a try. The Hikeren was around half the price of the BAFX, and it has a power switch, which I don't bother using (never had a battery drain issue with either). When reading reviews the tiny ones seem to get the brunt of bad reviews, but this Hikeren model has performed flawlessly for me. Like the BAFX it pairs and connects quickly and stays connected. Unlike the BAFX it is so small I can't imagine it getting in the way in any vehicle. However, if your OBD2 port is recessed, it might be hard to remove later.

3. Vgate Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID: $9.99 ($6.33)
The third one seems to be popular. I see it recommended on various forums a lot, but reviews of this product are not confidence inspiring. On Amazon 26% of the reviews are only 1 or 2 stars. If you consider 3 star reviews unfavorable, then a full 33% (one third) of the reviews are poor. This one was actually given to me by a friend who wasn't happy with it and bought a BAFX on my recommendation. I fully expected this one to fail with FORScan, but it works. It is really slow pairing and connecting, and has, on occasion, dropped the connection. Although it seems to work, I can't honestly recommend it, even for the lowest price I've seen it at (it was $3.96 in January). The others above are simply worth the extra money. Also note that the one I have does not exactly match the picture, so there are at least a couple of different products being sold as the same thing (all labels and markings are identical, but the plastic case and interior layout is slightly different).

Click for image of what FORScan Lite says about these adapters in my car (no that's not my real VIN).

Notice that the Vgate (right) has significantly more delay time than the BAFX or Hikeren (which had identical information in FORScan Lite). 15ms vs 36ms. This confirms what I experienced when using it. The Vgate is sloooow.

According to the documentation I have been able to find, all of these devices support the following protocols:

SAE J1850 PWM (41.6Kbaud)
SAE J1850 VPW (10.4Kbaud)
ISO9141-2 (5 baud init,10.4Kbaud)
ISO14230-4 KWP (5 baud init,10.4 Kbaud)
ISO14230-4 KWP (fast init,10.4 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID,500 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (29bit ID,500 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (11bit ID,250 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN (29bit ID,250 Kbaud)

In addition, the BAFX also supports:

SAE J1939 CAN (29bit ID,250 Kbaud)
CAN (11*bit ID,125*Kbaud)

And finally, here are my three OBD2 adapters (quarter for size comparison):

I hope some of you find this information useful.

mrgoodmccann
Vehicle: 2005 F150 5.4

Post by mrgoodmccann » Thu May 11, 2017 6:13 pm

I want to say thank you to everybody's advice on what adapter to buy. This is the one i ended up buying. I will let you know if it works.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (192.97 KiB) Viewed 19719 times

sandpiper
Vehicle: Mustang, 2.3 Ecoboost,2015

Post by sandpiper » Fri May 12, 2017 1:03 am

mrgoodmccann wrote:I want to say thank you to everybody's advice on what adapter to buy. This is the one i ended up buying. I will let you know if it works.

I bought this adaptor. Works fine. When I first connected to my laptop with Windows 10, it downloaded the drivers automatically. First time I hooked up to the car, connected right away. Works just fine.

mneseas
Vehicle: MAZDA 3, DIESEL, 2.2, 150 CV, 2014

Post by mneseas » Thu May 25, 2017 9:35 am

Hello everybody!

I'm new here, I'm searching for a wireless Bluetooth compatible adapter to my mazda 3 and forscan lite (just to check the dpf regenerations), with on/off switch and as small as possible.
I'm from Spain, I also need that can be bought in Europe.

Thanks in advance!

jzchen
Vehicle: C-MAX Energi, 2.0L I-4, Atkinson/188 hp net, 2013

Post by jzchen » Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 am

It seems the best is ELS27? Would this be the most reliable connection?

I think this is the correct site to purchase a real/original one: els27.ru ?

or is

VCM II still better?

I am interested in working on all makes, not just Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

Thank you!!!

jibo
Vehicle: Ford F-150, 2.7L Ecoboost, 2016

Post by jibo » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:38 am

Cellular-Decay wrote:TL;DR: Get the Hikeren!

I hope some of you find this information useful.
I missed the TLDR till after I had read through the entire thing and chosen the Hikeren as its what i could find easily in Canada :lol:

I had another arrive today that was a cheap attempt but ddint' reply fast enough to work with FORScan, so thanks for you reply!

Hoping this works flawlessly and I can finally put my LED Signals in my 2016 F150 XLT, as well as fix Dad's Hyper Flashing on his 2008 F350 :lol:

Wangstang
Vehicle: 05 Ford Escape, 3.0L V6 AutoAWD

Post by Wangstang » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:55 am

I need a little help with sorting through the options...Three quick questions so I can get an answer directly from those of you who are well versed as I learn my way....
1) Are there any advantages to using wifi or Bluetooth adapters if accessing the system over a phone?

2) Which specific adapter model/manufacturer & seller source would you recommend for a user in the United States who would like the most reliable and wide functional range? If you can provide that info for wifi/Bluetooth & USB adapters, I would appreciate it.

I'm planning to also run FORscan on Windows so I assume it would be wise to purchase a USB corded adapter to run directly to the laptop vs using built in Bluetooth/wireless to connect to an adapter with a cordless adapter.

Thanks for your help