Unable to Connect to Vehicle using OBDLink EX

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
DRR1
Vehicle: 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0L V6

Unable to Connect to Vehicle using OBDLink EX

Post by DRR1 »

I am new here but have searched and read as much as I can about this before posting.
I am trying to connect with a 2005 Jaguar S-type 3.0L V6. for the sole purpose of programming remote key fobs.

I know FORScan does not officially support Jaguar, but since others have been successful with this task using FORScan on 1999 - 2002 S-Types, I thought it was worth a try. (https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/all ... st-1339163)

I was expecting to maybe have issues with FORScan not recognizing my vehicle, but I am not even getting that far. FORScan communicates with my OBDLink EX, but not with the vehicle:
FORScan unable to connect
FORScan unable to connect
FORScan Error Unable to Connect.jpg (950.59 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
As you can see in this image, OBDWIZ connects just fine:
OBDWIZ Connects fine using ISO9141
OBDWIZ Connects fine using ISO9141
Successful OBDWIZ ISO9141.jpg (712.86 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
I compared my connector with your diagrams to see which protocols it should support and it looks like it has pins for J1850PWM and ISO9141 and HS CAN
It has pin 11 but not 3, so not sure what that means for MS CAN
My connector has all the pins for J1850PWM and HS CAN
My connector has all the pins for J1850PWM and HS CAN
2005 Jaguar OBDII_Pins.jpg (587.69 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
)

Any help to get FORScan to talk with my vehicle would be much appreciated. :)
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Re: Unable to Connect to Vehicle using OBDLink EX

Post by Ecmbuster »

2005 Jaguar S-type 3.0L V6
Firstly, that Jag and OBDwiz has access to a mandated diagnostic protocols for testing and emissions.
That protocol has been expanded over the years to include PIDs like the ones you see with OBDwiz.

Way back in the day, I had these olde Jags come in for basic service and FORScan did work - to a point.
The point being, if it had Ford controllers like the PCM, TCM etc, then the protocol between FORScan and the Jag worked - sometimes.

That Jag you have is a different beast and the network structure all though similar to all manufactuters.
It's like a language, Ford speaks Ford and Jag speaks Jag.
No different than the UK tyre (which is correct) and the US tire (which is incorrect)
Even better, the Canadian colour or US color
Is it boot or is it trunk?

Pins 2 and 10 are J1850 PWM Bus + and J1850 PWM Bus - respecively
Pins 6 and 14 are the CAN High and CAN Low
Pin 7 being the simple communication data line

J1850 Pulse Width Modulation:
It was Ford models up to 2003 with the "EEC-V Engine Management System".
This included Ford Based Jaguars like the S-Type and X-Type
The UK Ford models included:
Cougar, Puma, Fiesta Zetec, Mondeo Zetec, Focus to 2003

I use SDD or JLR with the VCM 1 or J2534-2 Devices
Everytime the VCM 1 changes hands from a Ford to a Jag, the firmware is overwtiten and it's the same with a Mazda.
Back to a Ford, firmware is again written.

FORScan was never designed to work on that model, the communications protocols are not the same.

To program keys, SDD is required if it's not a hacked version.
A legitimate version that has an operator with the NASTF SDRM Credentials.
An illigitimate version needs to be hacked and outside calculations need to be performed to have the access code.

The back door of SDD is very similar to IDS and here's the difference: SDD has all possible VIN's within the internal data base.

Write the last 6 digits of your VIN and can identify it with SDD at my kitchen table.
As an example and another reason this olde software is maintained with new versions.

Ford IDS is not capable of that feat.
AnyC00001.JPG
AnyC00001.JPG (97.62 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
AnyC00002.JPG
AnyC00002.JPG (73.54 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
AnyC00003.JPG
AnyC00003.JPG (126.69 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Attachments
2005 Jag-5 DLC.pdf
(92.36 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
DRR1

Post by DRR1 »

Thanks for your very informative reply, Ecmbuster!

That is helpful to see the diagram of which modules connect using each network. Looks like most modules won't be accessible from the ISO9141 protocol that OBDWIZ is using.

So to make sure I understand your conclusion, are you saying that my vehicle won't work with FORScan since protocols changed after 2003 and mine is of a newer year than the others that have reported success?

Since my main purpose is just remote programming, do you think I'll be better off just taking it to the dealer?

I'd be open to using SDD if the cost is in the same ballpark as paying the dealer to program the remotes. What do you estimate it would cost for the appropriate adapter/license needed to do it with SDD or JLR? Any recommended links for purchasing/download?

Thanks for your help!
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Are you programming the actual key or the remote fobs - maybe both?
Does the image match the actual version you have?
As for SDD, a VCM is required that actually works and not some POS "maybe".
Jag Key.jpg
Jag Key.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 997 times
DRR1

Post by DRR1 »

I am programming the remote fobs. Exactly like the picture you posted.

I am also having a local locksmith cut 2 keys for me and I understand that I will be able to pair the security lockout transceivers in those myself without any tools since I do have two working keys already and I believe the car will allow me to add others following standard instructions. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't cut the keys yet.

My goal is to go from 2 working keys (one key only, and one fob key that has a bad button), to 4 working keys and two fobs that work completely. That way I will still have at least 2 working keys in case one gets lost, and I will be able to use the fobs.

So, the simple answer is that I just need help with the fob programming part. The reason I was going the FORScan route is that I have not been successful with the many fob programming procedures I've found on jaguarforum.com and others. Apparently, some years of S-Types can't be done manually. I know my alarm audio works (that is used for the chirp indicating learn mode) because I've set it off by unlocking the car from the inside after locking it with the key from the outside, but I cannot get it to do any sort of chirp or chime that supposedly happens when you successfully get it into learn mode for the fobs.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

The problem will always be "the replacement keys" that were purchased.
One too many times been burned by the customer and now, the shop gets to order the correct keys.
The perfect answer is, "but the dealer is a 5 hour tow trip, one way", and that Jag is taking up floor space at $120.00 per hour!

This possible solution is dependent on the region.
The UK and North America uses different frequencies for security devices.
So what's the frequency and does it match the model?
Then there are the $hit keys with damaged or incorrect transponders.

Another solution is SDD in a virtual box. My versions are in native drives because of the needed speed and access to extra programming.
Either a J2534-2 device will work or the VCM 1.
Read the document top to bottom as well as your PM in this special case.
Attachments
Jag key & fob programming.rar
(50.91 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
DRR1

Post by DRR1 »

I tried the fob programming instructions. I followed them exactly multiple times and no dice.
The first issue is that with the door open, as soon as the key is inserted a chime starts dinging to remind you not to leave your keys in the car.
I went through the rest of the process anyway and no chirp or indicator light. I also tried with the door closed and still nothing.
I can also confirm that it never went into learn mode because the one partially working fob that I have still works. If it had gone into learn mode I believe any existing fobs would have been erased, but that didn't happen.

I don't think it is an issue with the fobs I am using because If the car won't even go into learn mode, there's no chance of any fobs working.

Some folks on jaguarforum.com are saying that certain years of S-Types can't be done without SDD.

I'd be happy to try again if you have any other ideas.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Forums are OK to seek answers or question a vehicle's behavior. Most are enthusiasts and have the money and time to create a JLR SDD machine.
Many copy/paste from many places to try and make something work. Some are into OEM and others put up with clones.
Even in this place, there are very few professionals that are actually trained and certified in their State, Province or Country.

One question is what part of the world that Jag is in. That can make a difference.
Next question, does this Jag actually start and is it driveable?
With the OBDII software, are there faults recorded?

The quickest option is with the dealer but the correct version of SDD should allow key and fob programming.
This is all dependent on how SDD is created. It can be in a virtual machine, virtual box or native installation.
The next hurdle is the interface. I use the Ford VCM1 and it always performs an internal flash when attached to SDD when switched from Ford or Mazda.
The J2534-2 device works as good and using CarDAQ Plus and CarDAQ Plus 2.
Another test to be performed in the near future is with Tactrix. It works with OBD II, Toyota and Subaru. The adventure will be with a Jag/Rover.

PM me the entire 17 digit VIN in this special case and will run the VIN through the different versions of SDD.
Last edited by Ecmbuster on Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRR1

Post by DRR1 »

Thanks for your help. The vehicle is in California, USA. Everything works normally on the car (except for the one button on the keyfob). Starts and drives great with both keys I have. No check engine light and no trouble codes shown with OBDII.

For what it's worth, I checked with a local locksmith today that is able to cut the keys, and he initially said he could program the fobs, but after further research on my VIN he told me he was wrong and it is only possible with factory software / scanner for my vehicle.

I don't mind running a virtual machine If I have instructions on what version to use and where to get it that would work with my vehicle.

I'll PM the VIN to you.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

I will be testing a Virtual Box and running on Windows 10.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

A decent and modern laptop is required with at least a standard USB port.
More on this later.