Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
smartguy69
Vehicle: Kuga Titanium,2 litre diesel, 150PS, 2015

Re: obdlink ex

Post by smartguy69 »

FlynDagger wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:23 am
Hello,
On my brand new, (still never used) OBDlink EX, I got a red led when I first connected. I Downloaded and installed the drivers, and got the yellow led. I then updated the firmware, and now I get an orange led. Is this normal? I don't want to even try to plug it into my truck just in case it messes something up. What does the orange led mean?

Side note: the OBDLink site is a mess and it really sucks. I am very computer literate and still had problems finding and installing the correct drivers and firmware. There are 2 different areas to download the drivers; one zip file is missing the .exe command, the other actually works but of course had to fiddle around the website to find the working file. The directions on the firmware are not clear and it kept kicking me out of the upload. I had to look through the forum to find out that the baud rate needed to be adjusted; why not just put that in the instructions or on the actual firmware download page? I signed up for the Scantool.net support forum and never got the confirmation email. I've since reapplied twice to have the confirmation email sent, and still nothing today (it's been a week). Looking back, I should've never purchased this product and gone a different route.
Thanks in advance!
R
I just downloaded the drivers from the link that was on the white card and plugged it into the car. Works just fine. Not sure what the OBDwiz program is though.
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Post by Ecmbuster »

The OBDwiz program is OBD II software, it actually works quite well. Just another tool in the tool box.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
FlynDagger
Vehicle: Ford F150, 5.0 Coyote, FX4, 2017

Post by FlynDagger »

OK, Soooo... Does anyone know what the orange LED means then??? Like I said, it was red first, yellow after I installed the drivers, and orange after I updated the firmware.
smartguy69

Post by smartguy69 »

FlynDagger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:21 am
OK, Soooo... Does anyone know what the orange LED means then??? Like I said, it was red first, yellow after I installed the drivers, and orange after I updated the firmware.
I guess we don't. I will check mine. You can check if it's functioning correctly in device manager. It will be listed in ports if it's working correctly. If not it will show in "other".
FlynDagger
Vehicle: Ford F150, 5.0 Coyote, FX4, 2017

Post by FlynDagger »

Thanks, I'll go ahead and hook it up to the truck to see if it works. I've read stories about people messing up their modules with a faulty OBDlink EX and didn't want to chance it. Perhaps it was user error on their part. If I get a green light when I plug it to the truck, it should be good.
Hope for the best.
smartguy69

Post by smartguy69 »

FlynDagger wrote:
I just plugged my obdlink in this morning and depending on which angle you view it the light is either yellow, orange or red. That probably doesn't help much but face on it's yellow.

If you connect it to your laptop, right click windows bottom left of screen, click device manager and look in ports. It should say COM1, COM2, COM3 or COM4 depending on how many devices you have ever connected. Click on it and if it says its connected and has an FTDi driver listed then it's working properly.
stockncalls
Vehicle: 2010 Transit Connect XLT 2.0L

Post by stockncalls »

FlynDagger wrote:
I believe it _may_ actually be yellow if you change the angle with which you are viewing the LED.