Newbie issue - MacOS 11.2.1 with Crossover using OBDLink EX no luck

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
bclead
Vehicle: Ford F150 Raptor gasoline 3.6 eco boost 2018

Newbie issue - MacOS 11.2.1 with Crossover using OBDLink EX no luck

Post by bclead »

I want to start out by stating that am a clueless newbie in the use of FORScan. I have a 2018 For Raptor and thought that it would be nice to make some low-key alterations to the function (I.E. sideviews folding etc.). I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur (11.2.1). So, I purchased an OBDLink EX, the computer program Crossover, and a license for FORScan. I then installed FORScan 2.3.38 on Crossover. I followed the OBDLink EX instructions and plugged it first into my computer - and got a yellow light. Then I plugged it into the Raptor and got a steady green light. I have set the Connection type to "Auto" and checked the "Auto-connect" box. the MSCAN Support is also set to "AUTO". Despite all that, every time I try connecting FORSCan to my truck I get the message: "No ELM Found. Please check connection and try again".

Obviously I am doing something or many somethings wrong, but I cannot figure out what it is or they are!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!

.............Bruce
TORA
Vehicle: 2020 F350 6.7L

Re: Newbie issue - MacOS 11.2.1 with Crossover using OBDLink EX no luck

Post by TORA »

I had the same problem but I was using a PC. It sounds like you do not have the drivers install for the OBDLink.
bclead
Vehicle: Ford F150 Raptor gasoline 3.6 eco boost 2018

Post by bclead »

I thought that might be the case, but couldn't figure out what drivers to install. I tried to install the OBDWiz app but it just kept installing and never completed the installation!
smartguy69
Vehicle: Kuga Titanium,2 litre diesel, 150PS, 2015

Post by smartguy69 »

bclead wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:11 pm
I thought that might be the case, but couldn't figure out what drivers to install. I tried to install the OBDWiz app but it just kept installing and never completed the installation!
I would try it on a windows laptop and see if the problem still persists.

With my OBDLink EX there was a card with an address to download the drivers and OBDWiz app.
skyvan
Vehicle: 2021 Ford Transit Cargo 250 AWD 3.5L Ecoboost (TT)

Post by skyvan »

Hey Bruce, I recently got Forscan working on MacOS using Wine Crossover using my ODBLink MX+ from https://github.com/Gcenx/homebrew-wine/ ... tag/20.0.2.

The general steps are:
- Download and the above version of Wine Crossover (free and open source). Also download Forscan.
- Drag it to Applications and open it
- It should open a terminal window with some basic instructions, the key thing here is that running wine64 will start an exe. You can freely navigate your Mac from the command line and find files. Wine config and your emulated windows c: drive are located in your home folder under ~/.wine
- Running ls -l /dev/ | grep 'tty\.' will give you the connected devices and likely show your identifier for the OBDLink. Mine is the bluetooth version (MX+) so am not sure how the EX operates but we're trying to get a reference to the device that we can do to map a windows COM1 port to this device as it's seen on your Mac. ls -l /dev lists the files in the root directory's dev folder. There are a bunch of devices in most case so we filter it using a program called grep here telling it to find all filenames with 'tty.' in them. The | symbol in the middle passes the list of files from the left command to the right command.

Code: Select all

❯ ls -l /dev/ | grep 'tty\.'
crw-rw-rw-   1 root        wheel           21,   0 Apr 25 16:09 tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
crw-rw-rw-   1 root        wheel           21,   2 Apr 25 16:09 tty.OBDLinkMX82716-STN-SPP
Mine is called 'tty.OBDLinkMX82716-STN-SPP'
- Now run wine64 regedit to open Windows' regedit app and add the COM1 -> tty.YOUR_DEVICE_IDENTIFIER_HERE mapping as shown:
Be sure to add this to the Ports folder as shown above. You can add the value through the Edit menu at the top, New -> String Value
- Install Forscan by heading to your downloads folder in terminal (or wherever you downloaded it to) and running the setup program:

cd ~/Downloads
wine64 FORScanSetup2.3.40.beta.exe (current version as of this post)
- I previously mentioned where Wine's C drive was located. Here we're navigating into the Program Files/Forscan directory and running the actual Forscsan app:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/FORScan/
wine64 FORScan.exe
- Ensure the settings are configured for COM ports and COM1 in particular:
- Give connecting a go!

If this doesn't work or terminal is not the level of geekery you're familiar with, I'd be happy to hop on a zoom and help get you setup.