OBD-2 adapter (cable) universal mod by Tehnis

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
tehnis
Vehicle: Ford Focus MK2 facelift, 1,6 CDTi

OBD-2 adapter (cable) universal mod by Tehnis

Post by tehnis » Fri May 29, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi!
I thought, why someone had to modify some specific OBD-2 adapter to work with Forscan, when he could modify all of them with a single effort - using a simple modified extension cable! :idea:
Just buy a straight full pinout male-to-female OBD-2 extension cable and place the HS/MS CAN switch in it :mrgreen:
You can use, test and switch any adapter You want. Even those small ones, which have no room for switch inside its housing.
Or You can buy a doble connector cable and make some more coonection variants if You wish.
Just did it and successfully using it. This is my post in Latvian Ford Focus Club forum.
And the picture, of course :)
Someone may find it usefull.
Attachments
OBD_forscan_mod.jpg
OBD_forscan_mod.jpg (173.8 KiB) Viewed 26064 times

william

Re: OBD-2 adapter (cable) universal mod by Tehnis

Post by william » Sat May 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Had the same idea, i had a hard time trying to solder all the wires and switch in the connector as this was my first time soldering.
I like the idea of the switch connected to the cable if it can be mechanically connected and do away with the need to solder.

Was the switch in your cable connected without the need for solder, and if not does anyone know of a switch that could be used.
Attachments
Untitled.png obd.png
Untitled.png obd.png (200.79 KiB) Viewed 26039 times
08 mk4 mondeo 2.0 140 bhp

tehnis
Vehicle: Ford Focus MK2 facelift, 1,6 CDTi

Post by tehnis » Sat May 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, another great idea from You! Thanks! :P
I still wonder why no one sells such already modified cables, for example, on ebay... It's a real business gap ;)
What concerns my cable (in the picture), I soldered everything myself. I just bougt a bare OBD2 extension cable (double-end cable is an option and only for my needs :) ) and a Two position MTS-202 6-Pin 6MM Mini SPDT ON--ON 6A 125VAC Toggle Switch. I skinned the cable in the middle, cut corresponding 4 signal wires and soldered them using principles in this topic. I also used a little box from an old telephone line connector to place the switch and all open wiring inside.
Yes, of course! Soldering is the only way to make a reliable wire connections.

tzok
Vehicle: Fiat Grande Punto

Post by tzok » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm using a STN1110 (OBDLINK SX) clone based cable with a 3-position, 2-circuit rotary switch to select between CAN on pins 1&9 (FIAT), 6&14 (GENERIC), and 3&11 (FORD).

As I can't reply to PM I'm adding the response here:
This is the interface - http://viaken.pl/en/nowy-polski-elm327- ... -2013.html
Despite the name it is a STN1110 not a ELM327 clone. One problem with it - the plug doesn't physically have not used pins, and it is hard to get (buy) them.

Automate
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Post by Automate » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:56 pm

tehnis wrote:I still wonder why no one sells such already modified cables, for example, on ebay... It's a real business gap ;)
I agree. Has anyone come across someone selling OBD2 cables with a built in MS/HS switch?

I did come across this one but it is not an MS/HS switch but rather a ON/OFF switch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/With-Switch-16- ... 418d833608
Thinking it should not be too hard to replace the ON/OFF switch with a DPDT switch connected to the proper wires.

-pascal
Vehicle: 2018 Ford F150 EcoBoost 3.5l

Post by -pascal » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 am

Automate wrote:
tehnis wrote:I still wonder why no one sells such already modified cables, for example, on ebay... It's a real business gap ;)
I agree. Has anyone come across someone selling OBD2 cables with a built in MS/HS switch?
Anyone?? I'm incapable of soldering electronics and I would like to purchase a switched wire so I can use any adapter, USB or Bluetooth. Someone needs to make these! :P
-Pascal
2016 Ford F150 Lariat EcoBoost 3.5L

Automate
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Post by Automate » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Automate wrote:

I did come across this one but it is not an MS/HS switch but rather a ON/OFF switch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/With-Switch-16- ... 418d833608
Thinking it should not be too hard to replace the ON/OFF switch with a DPDT switch connected to the proper wires.

This cable did not work. Most if not all the OBDII cables which use a flat ribbon cable only have 9 wires of the 16 connector connected. The other 7 pins on the OBDII connector or considered "Vendor Option". These pins are not connected on the flat cables. The Ford MSCAN bus is connected to these "Vendor Option" connectors.

ThomasOwens
Vehicle: BMW X5 V8 4.6/ 347

Post by ThomasOwens » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 am

I was looking for such one for quite a period of time. I wish I had found your post earlier. Well, now I have such adapter. My friend recommended me this website https://gsmserver.com/. And, well, I've found there a lot of another interesting staff for me.

Wangstang
Vehicle: 05 Ford Escape, 3.0L V6 AutoAWD

Post by Wangstang » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:47 am

Any new cable products on the market with the switch?

The idea of a fiat/ford/standard switch is interesting. I assume that would require an 8 pole switch?