OBDLink EX wont connect to HP PC

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
richvollberg
Vehicle: Ford F150 XLT 5.0L 2016

OBDLink EX wont connect to HP PC

Post by richvollberg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Guys I am at my wits ends. I have tried for 3 days to get this thing to connect to my PC. I got one instance when the EX stayed on a yellow light. I quickly hooked it up to my truck and started ForSCAN. It connected then asked for the year. It did its pairing and got the list of modules. Then it went red and I haven’t been able to get it setup on the PC again. I have a Bluetooth Veep that works like a champ but it cant get all the modules to do what i want. I got another usb unit with the switch someone posted a link for and got it to work with the PC but it didn't connect to the OBD port. That scan tool never would connect to my 2016 F-150.

I have a HP laptop. Ive done all the HP usb fixes I can find, Ive deleted and tried to reset the devices in Devicemanager in windows 10 64.

Ive been on OBDLINK site Scantools site. And all over FTDI site.

Should i return this again to Amazon. That makes 2 units in a week returned to them as what i call defective.

Any Ideas on how to connect reliably with a HP laptop and ForSCAN to a 2016 Ford F-150?

Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Re: OBDLink EX wont connect to HP PC

Post by Andyfocus » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 pm

you have to plug it into the truck first then start up forscan..
delete all prevous profile and use a new one till all module show then save that profile ,
i prefer to not use a previous saved profile at all unless replacing a module .
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .

richvollberg

Post by richvollberg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 pm

I would if i could. My OBDLINK EX wont connect to my PC anymore. I tried loading the android app so i could flash the firmware. It wont give me the yellow light on my Galaxy 7.

I only got the EX to work for less than 5 minutes after hours trying to get it to work.

chrisrc51
Vehicle: 2012 Ford F350

Post by chrisrc51 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:32 am

I don’t know if this will help, I got mine Feb 15 and when I tried to connect it to my laptop, my laptop went crazy and did an auto shut down and it wasn’t until I unplugged all other USB devices and only had the OBDLink EX plugged in, I got the red light, did a driver update and all is well. It might be worth a shot.
2012 F350 DRW Lariat

sanglt
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Trend 2018

Post by sanglt » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:25 pm

richvollberg wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:13 pm
Guys I am at my wits ends. I have tried for 3 days to get this thing to connect to my PC. I got one instance when the EX stayed on a yellow light. I quickly hooked it up to my truck and started ForSCAN. It connected then asked for the year. It did its pairing and got the list of modules. Then it went red and I haven’t been able to get it setup on the PC again. I have a Bluetooth Veep that works like a champ but it cant get all the modules to do what i want. I got another usb unit with the switch someone posted a link for and got it to work with the PC but it didn't connect to the OBD port. That scan tool never would connect to my 2016 F-150.

I have a HP laptop. Ive done all the HP usb fixes I can find, Ive deleted and tried to reset the devices in Devicemanager in windows 10 64.

Ive been on OBDLINK site Scantools site. And all over FTDI site.

Should i return this again to Amazon. That makes 2 units in a week returned to them as what i call defective.

Any Ideas on how to connect reliably with a HP laptop and ForSCAN to a 2016 Ford F-150?
From this page: https://www.obdlink.com/setup-category/ex/
The LED will turn yellow when you connect EX to the PC’s USB port.

Red LED? Drivers were not installed properly.

Note: If the drivers for EX do not install automatically, click on the link below to download the driver.

Windows Driver

Can you try and install the certificate driver again?

richvollberg

Post by richvollberg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:45 pm

reloaded the drivers several times. i got both versions the exe and the DLL files. no luck getting a yellow again.

Found a good MS Can made by Veep that I think Im gonna get and just send this back as defective to Amazon.

Too much work and potential PC issues that this EX may cause since its so much of a pain to get working.

If its this bad to set up once only to fail do I really wanna try and load a file to my truck and it crash midway. I dont think so.

Maybe one day they will get the drivers better for the programer or update the newer units with better firm ware. Not worth screwing up my new truck using this thing.