Bluetooth dongle that doesn't work (Sabrent)

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
Fast351
Vehicle: 2018 F150 XLT w/2.7EB

Bluetooth dongle that doesn't work (Sabrent)

Post by Fast351 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:25 pm

So I bought a OBDLink MX to use with my 2018 F150. My laptop is older and a Win7 machine and doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter built in. I bought a Bluetooth dongle, and instead of the Plugable recommended unit on F150forum, I bought a Sabrent BT-UB40 (because I'm a cheap@$$ and the cost was half the Plugable). I have had good luck with Sabrent products in the past. I have used them at work for serial to PCI adapters and other PC cards and they have always had a quality product.

The dongle installed correctly, using the default Windows drivers. The dongle was able to see the OBDLink MX and pair with it. But both Forscan and OBDWiz (the OBDLink software) were unable to connect to the vehicle. I feared either an OBDLink MX problem or a OBD port problem on the vehicle, but decided to rule out the dongle first. My wife's newer Win10 laptop has BT built in, and was able to pair and link to the vehicle. I ordered a Plugable dongle that will be here in a couple days so I will validate that it works with my Win7 laptop, but a friend has a Win7 laptop with that dongle and it works so my hopes are high.

Moral of the story: Not all BT dongles are created equal. Buy one that is known to work with your OS and OBD adapter.

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Re: Bluetooth dongle that doesn't work (Sabrent)

Post by denbo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:15 am

I don,t like bluetooth, i much prefer hard wired usb. The last thing you need is when down loading or programming, is to lose connection. That would be a disaster, and it doe,s happen.