need help with OBD adaptor

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
michaelebradley
Vehicle: 2010 Fusion Hybrid

need help with OBD adaptor

Post by michaelebradley »

Hi everyone. New user here. I have installed the Windows version of Forscan and have attempted unsuccessfully to connect to a 2010 Ford Fusion using a USB to OBD2 adapter. The OBD part of the cable says J2354 and I use this same USB to OBD cable all the time to connect to Toyota vehicles through their Techstream software. I was quite surprised that it was not recognized by Forscan. Anyway, looking for help to figure out if I am doing something incorrect, or if I need to buy a different adapter and which one people recommend. Note that my computer does not have Bluetooth so adapters that just used BT are not an option. Thanks everyone!
mozz
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0 5 speed

Re: need help with OBD adaptor

Post by mozz »

You can buy a USB bluetooth dongle at many places such as Walmart for $7. The cable you have may not work, others will chime in shortly.
fred08155
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Turnier TDCI 96kW 2002

Post by fred08155 »

I guess you already tried manual setting J2534 in options of Forscan, did you?
I already considered of buying such a "Mini VCI J2534 passthrough" adapter but now i think i won´t. It´s incredible cheap (about $15 on alibaba) but if the J2534 part doesn´t work or is not working with Forscan it´s useless.

Perhaps Forscan Team can get it to work then i will probably buy one of these adapters.
FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan »

FORScan should work with any devices that support J2534 interface. What does it say if you specify J2534 mode in connection settings as fred08155 advised?

As far as we can remember, some of our user tried this cheal "J2534" device sold on ebayt for $15 or so, and it worked fine with FORScan in J2534 mode. The only problem is that it seems to be not a real J2534 interface (that supports much more features than a ELM327, such as special programming signals and so on). As far as we understand, it has the same ELM327 inside, just emulates J2534 Passthru interface. It may have better performance and stability (but it need to be checked), but that''s all. In any case, it should work with FORScan.
fred08155
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo Turnier TDCI 96kW 2002

Post by fred08155 »

Any news if the adapter works or not or other user experiences?
Found some more infos about the Mini VCI J2534 device. It seems to base on a design from manucaturer xhorse including a leaked alpha firmware. There is no ELM chip inside instead there is a NXP LPC ARM chip.

By the way... does the Ford OpenXC reference design support J2534? This device also bases on a NXP LPC chip - LPC1769 a ARM cortex M3 chip you can easily get here for under $10. There is also a layout for a single sided board available for OpenXC...