Forscan on Jap imports and or is this adapter a bad clone?

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
nzbrakelathes
Vehicle: Mazda MPV LY3P L3 Turbo

Forscan on Jap imports and or is this adapter a bad clone?

Post by nzbrakelathes »

Hi guys
I am new to all this Forscan and the main reason I got it is for PATS key programming on a couple of Mazda MPV's I have.
Mazda MPV 2004 LW3W Japan used import
Mazda MPV 2006 LY3P Japan used import.
I only tested it on the older model and VERY little data or tests can be done.
No live data (did I miss it?)
No PATS. few simple tests and no access to As Built Data.
end result is what I have for this car is 99% pointless, What is MY or THE issue?
Attachments
Forscan MPV.png
Forscan MPV.png (100.23 KiB) Viewed 897 times
nzbrakelathes

Re: Forscan on Jap imports and or is this adapter a bad clone?

Post by nzbrakelathes »

dump file
Attachments
dump.zip
(34.62 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

nzbrakelathes wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 am
Hi guys
I am new to all this Forscan and the main reason I got it is for PATS key programming on a couple of Mazda MPV's I have.
Mazda MPV 2004 LW3W Japan used import
Mazda MPV 2006 LY3P Japan used import.
I only tested it on the older model and VERY little data or tests can be done.
No live data (did I miss it?)
No PATS. few simple tests and no access to As Built Data.
end result is what I have for this car is 99% pointless, What is MY or THE issue?
I would get a decent adapter first(Recommended adapter links are on the FORscan Product Page: https://forscan.org/download.html)!

Your attachment showing the connection Log is giving you two possible problems on the third and fourth line! The adapter you are using is way below the standard that FORScan requires to operate today! FORScan left Cloned STN 1170 ELM327 adapters behind some time ago!

Try that first before Condemning FORScan or the Japan market Mazdas! The Mazdas from those years shared Ford's Module communication network so FORScan should work on those with a one of the recommended adapters as far as I am aware!

Forscan dump.bin files need to be sent to contact@forscan.org and a Paid extended license is required for support!
Do not PM me unless I expressly ask you to for a consultation!! I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
nzbrakelathes

Post by nzbrakelathes »

Hi and thanks for the reply.
So number 1 I do not have a good adapter......... thats a waste of NZ$83..... I will try and get a refund on that
I did order locally another older with the switch and fingers crossed it works better....

Second my car is pretty old so not much data there.....
Third I sent the dump file to the Forscan team and they got more Data pids then me so I need to lean more.....

I will test both adapters on the later model Mazda MPV (Turbo model LY3P year 2006-2011) and post my results for public critisism and learn how n what I am not doing correctly.
I have hopes to use Forscan on some older and maybe slightly newer Mazda product to Diag and program keys and seems I have plenty to learn yet.
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

nzbrakelathes wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:16 pm
So number 1 I do not have a good adapter......... thats a waste of NZ$83..... I will try and get a refund on that
I did order locally another older with the switch and fingers crossed it works better....

Third I sent the dump file to the Forscan team and they got more Data pids then me so I need to lean more.....

I will test both adapters on the later model Mazda MPV (Turbo model LY3P year 2006-2011) and post my results for public critisism and learn how n what I am not doing correctly.
I have hopes to use Forscan on some older and maybe slightly newer Mazda product to Diag and program keys and seems I have plenty to learn yet.
Wow $83NZD for a Chinese clone!

I do not know how the market and shipping conditions are In New Zealand but the Recommended OBDlink EX or vLinker FS adapter would have been slightly less if not the same price and there would be no fooling with external switches!
The external switch is probably not even needed on networks as old as what you have posted as there is likely no MSCAN network! Many of the last "clones" have been poorly implementing all the old networks (PWM and ISO which is likely in your case) or eliminating them altogether! FORScan has stickys posted about this in this section!
Do not PM me unless I expressly ask you to for a consultation!! I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
tractmec

Post by tractmec »

nzbrakelathes wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:16 pm

Wow $83NZD for a Chinese clone!

I do not know how the market and shipping conditions are In New Zealand but the Recommended OBDlink EX or vLinker FS adapter would have been slightly less if not the same price and there would be no fooling with external switches!
The external switch is probably not even needed on networks as old as what you have posted as there is likely no MSCAN network! Many of the last "clones" have been poorly implementing all the old networks (PWM and ISO which is likely in your case) or eliminating them altogether! FORScan has stickys posted about this in this section!
nzbrakelathes

Post by nzbrakelathes »

Today was a GREAT Forscan day!

I used the bad clone adapotr to:
Program the PROX keys to both my Mazda MPV's LY3P this was super easy and took maybe 12-15 minutes to each car.
Programmed 1 ignition/emergency key to one MPV as well as descovering the key with the car WASN'T programmed! so now both ignition keys work and programmed.

I did not erase any keys ( I fear something going wrong and having a dead car - I do now have 2 ignition keys and I think it said 3 or so keys programmed)
Prox key was only 1 which I had and I added another and shows 2!

The money I wasted on adapters even for this task makes the Forscan set up I have now still worth it over getting keys programmed in.

I ordered 2 V Gate as per link below ( i didn;t want 2 BUT got something wrong and 2 are coming lol)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094Z7PBLS?ps ... ct_details

I couldn't see much or any data Pids with my cheap clone BUT maybe I didn't do it right or look in the right area - I will spend more time later when I can and when my good adapter arrives, I could see and possibly change the Speedo calibration value ( I will road test later on and see if I can make it more accurate)

Should I make a new post with "Mazda MPV Mazda 8 LY3P successes"? list what I have 100% confirmed worked etc?

Thanks to Forscan team and others who gave some advise so far.