OBD disconnect with car battery charger on

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
AleBertolo
Vehicle: Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 MY18.5

OBD disconnect with car battery charger on

Post by AleBertolo »

Hi All,

I have a question. I did a few APIM firmware updates on my vehicle, Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 2018. For the firmware updates it is strongly recommended to use a car battery charger during the updates to make sure the APIM does not brick for an interruption due to low car battery. I have an Obdlink EX and i bought the car charger in amazon, this is the model https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B084ZJ ... =UTF8&th=1

Long story short, when I have the car battery charger connected to the car, the OBD disconnects and connects continously, so I don’t have a stable OBD connection with the vehicle and I can’t do anything with the charger on.

Does anyone know what is the reason behind this disconnection? Just add that it happened the same thing with the Vlinker FS.

Thanks for your replies.
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: OBD disconnect with car battery charger on

Post by tractmec »

AleBertolo wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:02 pm
Hi All,

I have a question. I did a few APIM firmware updates on my vehicle, Ford Tourneo Custom 2.0 2018. For the firmware updates it is strongly recommended to use a car battery charger during the updates to make sure the APIM does not brick for an interruption due to low car battery. I have an Obdlink EX and i bought the car charger in amazon, this is the model https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B084ZJ ... =UTF8&th=1

Long story short, when I have the car battery charger connected to the car, the OBD disconnects and connects continously, so I don’t have a stable OBD connection with the vehicle and I can’t do anything with the charger on.

Does anyone know what is the reason behind this disconnection? Just add that it happened the same thing with the Vlinker FS.

Thanks for your replies.
The problem would likely be with the charger! Happens frequently with cheap AC LIne powered chargers, they do not filter enough of the "AC ripple" out of the DC Side of the charger and it interferes with the module network connections!

This one seems particularly bad! I would not even use this for battery charging! and 8 amps is not enough for what you were using it (Programming) for any way!

Send it back and get your money back!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
AleBertolo

Post by AleBertolo »

Thanks for your reply. Do you have by chance a recommended battery charger that would not interfere with the obd connection?

Thanks!
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

AleBertolo wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:25 pm
Thanks for your reply. Do you have by chance a recommended battery charger that would not interfere with the obd connection?

Thanks!
I do not have a specific recommendation but I suggest the criteria should be that you not spend less than $100. 00US on a charger!

What you linked to on Amazon to was a basic battery maintainer and I have little faith in those even for battery maintenance!

The better chargers are not going to be under that kind of($100.00US +) cost any way and you will not get a charger that will produce at least 12 amps for any less that that(would not do any Programming with less than at least a 10 amp capability)!

Any charger in this $100.00 to $120.00 + category should produce a clean enough flow of DC current to not effect the DLC connection in the fashion you are experiencing! And you probably should make sure that they specify that they cover Flooded Lead Acid(FLA) as well as Aggregated Glass Matt( AGM) batteries(all that I have looked at in the last 10 years do)!

I use a small 12 amp one in this price range, but I am in North America and I suspect you are in Europe(?) so any recommendation I give you, you likely will not find there.

Some Forum Members have said they have successfully used a Rechargeable jump start box for this as well(I have a Duracell 900 Amp jump starter but have never used it for this)!

Some on this forum are recommending a Dedicated AC to DC power supply rather than a Battery charger(similar to Computer Power supplies but capable of much higher current flow and Very Expensive $200.00 + for any I have looked at) for this purpose but I have no recommendations on those!

Search posts by member ECMbuster as dedicated Power supplies were his preferred recommendation!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
AleBertolo

Post by AleBertolo »

Thanks a lot for your thorough explanation. If I need to do any programming again I will definitely go for a good car battery charger to have at least 10 amp. Here in Europe the price range to get a good 10 amp charger is about 120-150 euros.

Thanks again. Have a good one!

Greetings from Italy.