My Pain with the OBDLink EX - Adapter Not found with images

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
jhouse55
Vehicle: 2019 Raptor 3.5 Ecoboost

My Pain with the OBDLink EX - Adapter Not found with images

Post by jhouse55 »

Hello Everyone, please excuse my rant ...
I started this forscan journey with a cheap ELM327 adapter that had a toggle switch. I was able to connect to Forscan with it on a temporary license. The log had shown immediately that the adapter was not compatible with Forscan but I could at least connect.
So let's do everything right - I buy the OBDLink EX module which is fully supported. I install the adapter and the drivers installed great. I purchased the extended license so I don't have to worry about the temporary license. I update the firmware, adapter is showing yellow as drivers are installed, and green when plugged into the port on the truck. Every time I try to connect I get "adapter not found". I even went as far as installing OBDWiz and it connects to the truck just fine so the adapter isn't defective. I even went as far as changing the COM port from COM5 to COM2 and still the same results.
After all of this, I'm waving my surrender flag, I give. Please see screenshots.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Attachments
ForScanError.png
ForScanError.png (48.52 KiB) Viewed 357 times
ForScan_Conn.png
ForScan_Conn.png (55.03 KiB) Viewed 357 times
ForScan_DM.png
ForScan_DM.png (12.88 KiB) Viewed 357 times
ForScan_CommSett.png
ForScan_CommSett.png (24.79 KiB) Viewed 357 times
f-wolf
Vehicle: *** Ford ***

Re: My Pain with the OBDLink EX - Adapter Not found with images

Post by f-wolf »

This is what I use ... With NO problems at all

Just remember OBDLink EX is USB !!

ForScan 14.5.22.jpg
ForScan 14.5.22.jpg (110.67 KiB) Viewed 331 times
jhouse55

Post by jhouse55 »

Thanks @f-wolf , I will give it a try this morning with it set to auto. If that doesn’t work again, I’m wondering if uninstalling and reinstalling forscan might help. Adapter seems to work fine with other programs.
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

jhouse55 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:50 am
Thanks @f-wolf , I will give it a try this morning with it set to auto. If that doesn’t work again, I’m wondering if uninstalling and reinstalling forscan might help. Adapter seems to work fine with other programs.
Try setting the(Gear Icon Connections) Connection Type drop down to COM instead of FTDI and see what COM ports are listed under the COM Port Drop down(welcome to Windows Plug and Pray)! I have had my old ELMscan5(early OBDLink Adapter using FTDI Drivers) use a virtual COM port instead of one of the Windows Hardware COM ports 1-4(It is currently using COM Port 8 and connects perfectly)!

You can check what Port the adapter is using by opening the Ports(COM and LPT) listing in the Device Manager and looking at what the "USB Serial Port" {Mine is set to USB Serial Port(COM 8)}! You can check that this is true by unplugging the Adapter and seeing if the the listing disappears and reappears on plugging the adapter back in!

Set FORScan COM settings to use that Port!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
jhouse55

Post by jhouse55 »

I looked at the forscan log and in the log it was repeatedly saying “can’t find connector at 38400 baud”. Setting everything at auto fixed it like referenced earlier. Apparently setting the fine tuning suggestions in a few other articles was not the way to go. I’ll be able to sleep now!

Thanks everyone for your input, appreciate it!
scorpionul22
Vehicle: Ford Focus MK3 RS 2.3 ecoboost

Post by scorpionul22 »

for obdlink ex adaptor
connection type FTDI
baud rate 115200 !!! NOT 38400
auto-increase selected
auto-connect unselected