Which adapter to get?

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
PNGento
Vehicle: F350, diesel, 6.7L, Super Duty, 2017

Which adapter to get?

Post by PNGento »

I am new to the FORSCAN world and have not yet actually attempted any use of it, so please understand I am a very new newbie.

I have a 2017 Ford F350 Super Duty. I would like to be able to modify some of the parameters, features and functions of my truck. I can use a Windows laptop, Apple notebook, iPhone or Android phone. If I am understanding correctly, not all adapters work with all of the above devices.

It would appear, that the two most likely candidates might be the OBDLink MX+ or the OBDLink EX. When used with my Windows laptop, if I am understanding correctly, both will work. But, where I am not clear...will both allow me to actually manipulate/program the functions and features of my truck when used with the Windows laptop (new HP with Windows 10)?

If so, the MX+ is approx. $100...the EX is approx. $50. Price is not at issue...that it works is really what matters. Any help on this would be great.
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: Which adapter to get?

Post by tractmec »

PNGento wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:54 pm
I am new to the FORSCAN world and have not yet actually attempted any use of it, so please understand I am a very new newbie.

I have a 2017 Ford F350 Super Duty. I would like to be able to modify some of the parameters, features and functions of my truck. I can use a Windows laptop, Apple notebook, iPhone or Android phone. If I am understanding correctly, not all adapters work with all of the above devices.

It would appear, that the two most likely candidates might be the OBDLink MX+ or the OBDLink EX. When used with my Windows laptop, if I am understanding correctly, both will work. But, where I am not clear...will both allow me to actually manipulate/program the functions and features of my truck when used with the Windows laptop (new HP with Windows 10)?

If so, the MX+ is approx. $100...the EX is approx. $50. Price is not at issue...that it works is really what matters. Any help on this would be great.
If you expect that you will use the IOS mobile version, that is the only advantage to the MX+ over the MX version! If you expect as you have posted , to do any configuration and programming changes, then the mobile versions will not be the answer as configuration and programming is not enabled in the mobile or lite versions.
The Windows version will do Configuration and Programming with the MX and MX+ but it is only, with reservations about wireless connections in general, to be done with Bluetooth connections. (Forscan Team have never been happy with using WIFI connections but there is poor or no Bluetooth support in IOS so there was little choice)

The EX adapter is the one Forscan recommends for all configuration changes and the only ELM327 Based adapter they have recommended for Firmware updating in the 2.4.3x branch and the FORScan team had input into it's development!

Hopefully that helps in your decision making?
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
omar302
Vehicle: Ford Edge, Gasoline 2.7L/335hp, 2016

Post by omar302 »

The EX is better if you plan to do firmware flashing. Other than that the MX+ offers everything the EX has but via Bluetooth. The MX+ also offers enhanced DTC readings for many vehicles using OBDLink's app for free. The EX does not. For a Ford vehicle that is not an advantage because ForScan can read those codes, but if you have other make vehicle(s), the MX+ in my opinion is better.
mikematt
Vehicle: 2018 Ford F-150

Post by mikematt »

I think the EX is highly recommended. Most outstanding features of it are fast data transfer speed, connection reliability, and Ford CAN-BUSES supporting ability. It also enables you to perform any bidirectional tests on your Ford vehicles. Especially, it can switch quickly between HS-CAN, MS-CAN, and J1850, which ensures that nothing faulty happens even when you transmit to a wrong network. Its only downside is just working on Windows PC or laptop, but I think this is no problem with you because you can have all the system required. This article may help you make the decision easier: https://www.obdadvisor.com/best-forscan-adapter-review/