Surface Pro X support? (Windows + ARM)

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions
Airborne_Ape
Vehicle: F150, 3.5 Eco, 2017

Surface Pro X support? (Windows + ARM)

Post by Airborne_Ape » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:48 am

This question is for the developers as much as it's for everyday users:
What are your thoughts on Qualcomms / Microsoft's new SQ1 processor for ForScan use?

I'm contemplating the new Microsoft Surface Pro X, but my first roadblock will be whether or not ForScan is compatible or which (if any) OBD devices have any drivers which support ARM processors.

My understanding is that Windows 10 will emulate X86 based applications to run on Qualcomms&Microsofts new joint processor, but the Verge and others are already making lists of applications which won't be supported by this new hardware. Additionally, according to TechCrunch, "Additionally, x64 apps (the 64-bit version of apps coded for Intel'x x86 platform) won't work". Shell extensions compiled for x86 will be incompatible with Microsoft's inline emulator.

If ForScan will work in Windows 10 on ARM out of the box, issue # 2 is that the new processor will require a host of new drivers to connect to various devices and I don't know how this will apply to all the current OBD tools on the market.

Are there any other users here contemplating purchasing a Surface Pro X?

moorecd3
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6L

Re: Surface Pro X support? (Windows + ARM)

Post by moorecd3 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 pm

I just saw this old thread and I am curious too as I am interested in a new Samsung Galaxy Book S running a Snap 8cx ARM processor on Windows 10. While FORscan may run, it may not play nice with the new OBDLink EX adapter designed for FORScan. I purchased an adapter to work with my old Dell PC (which runs fine) but the ARM processor might be a roadblock.

Thoughts?

moorecd3
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6L

Re: Surface Pro X support? (Windows + ARM)

Post by moorecd3 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:48 pm

I have had my new Samsung Galaxy Book S now for a few days and I am working with the FORScan team to see if we can get it to run on this configuration. I can say so far the the software does indeed install, but we can't seem to get it to actually run. Also, I would like to add that the OBD Link PC software DOES install and DOES run, but I have yet to attempt to connect the OBD Link EX to the new computer. It is my understanding right now that there are no compatible drivers for the EX, so if we were to get FORScan working I would be looking at purchasing an OBDLink MX (Bluetooth).

For the record, the Samsung chip is the 8cx. It is my understanding that it is very similar to the new Surface chip.

Right now it is a wait and see to see if we can get the software working on this platform (with credit due to the FORScan team) and I know that it is new, but it would open up an entire new segment for this software. I currently use an old 2006 Dell XPS for FORScan (so I can play with configuration on my FE) that while it works great; I still would like something newer.

The android app is slick and I wish we could do some calibrations with it, but fully understand why they have limited this.

You are 100% correct in your observations here. I think we have a two pronged issue at this point; 1) Getting the software to play nice and 2) Getting drivers for the scanners. I think it will all come down to time on the 2nd issue and how many folks buy into this new technology. I think the 1st issue will also be dependent on Samsung/Qualcomm/Microsoft/etc refining and improving what is out there now. I have already heard that x64 support might be coming late this year, early next year.