Sync 2 to Sync 3 swap screen not completely turning off

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
tmallon
Vehicle: Edge, 3.5 2013

Sync 2 to Sync 3 swap screen not completely turning off

Post by tmallon »

Question about Sync 3 swap, everything seems to be fine with the exception the sync screen does not completely turn off when exiting the car. The ford logo appers and it goes dark but you can see it’s still back lit for some time, I believe almost an hour I have been unhooking it as I don’t want a dead battery.

It also appers to boot guickly and I don’t get a splash screen when powering on the car.

Any thoughts on what I might be missing

It’s in a 2013 Ford Edge
gege974
Vehicle: Ford cmax tdci

Re: Sync 2 to Sync 3 swap screen not completely turning off

Post by gege974 »

Hello
check your meter welds, this is often the case.
tmallon

Post by tmallon »

Are you saying to open the APIM, which weld? Is there any documentation on this anywhere or somewhere that offers repairs?
Ptrck600
Vehicle: F150/3.5/2016

Post by Ptrck600 »

Can you give more explanation of the swap? Did you change any wiring?
tmallon

Post by tmallon »

I was able to get a sync 3 screen and APIM from a donar car, a totaled 2016 Taurus, I also got the media hub and wiring pigtail.
Installation of WPT1239 Harness (Utilizing Pins 1 and 4):

Pin 1 is going to Pin 1 on Existing Media Hub Harness - Yellow/Blue Wire
Pin 4 is going to Pin 10 on Existing Media Hub Harness - White/Blue Wire
Pins 2 and 3 are NOT used and should be taped off, Pin 4 is the one closest to connector release tab

Power wires spliced into existing connector wires, soldered, and ready to be taped up:
( Vehicle Connector Reference: C3512A (New) and C3618 (Old)

I also ordered a GPS Antenna with a Blue Fakra connector. from Amazon.

I will dig up my as-built data from FORScan but everything there seems to be good now.
tmallon

Post by tmallon »

Found this

Ignition Off Draw (IOD) Due To Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) Or Remote Function Actuator (RFA) Keeping Network Awake – 2011 Ford Edge, Explorer & Lincoln MKX
oemdtc October 6, 2016 Diagnostic Tips

TSB 13-6-18
IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD) DUE TO ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM) OR REMOTE FUNCTION ACTUATOR (RFA) KEEPING NETWORK AWAKE
Publication Date: June 18, 2013
FORD: 2011 Edge, Explorer
LINCOLN: 2011 MKX

ISSUE:

Some 2011 Edge, MKX and Explorer vehicles equipped with MyTouch and Intelligent Access, may experience an RFA module keeping the controller area network (CAN) awake causing excessive IOD and a dead battery. An incorrect CAN message from the APIM may be causing this condition. APIM vehicle interface processor (VIP) versions 2.2.7 through 2.2.12 are the affected VIP levels.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to improve the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check APIM VIP level by reviewing the vehicle micro controller unit (VMCU) software.
From bezel diagnostics, select APIM, software version, then observe the VMCU. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00.
Is the VMCU level greater than 2.2.12?
Yes – this article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 414-01 for normal diagnosis.
No – check for and perform any open MyTouch service articles before proceeding with this procedure. Proceed to Step 3.
Program APIM using the scan tool and Professional Technician Society (PTS) website.
Connect scan tool, open PTS, select Read VIN and DTCs.
From PTS, select the SYNC drop-down from the OASIS tab.
Scroll to the bottom of the SYNC page, select the Custom bubble then select Read SYNC. Tool will gather module data and display available software for installation.
Select the assembly bubble without a check box next to the VIP assembly, select continue at the bottom of the page. No applications should be selected during this programming procedure
Select Program SYNC, follow on screen prompts to complete APIM programming procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool

However mine is a 2013 Edge, and I have a newer sync 3 system

Might be similar going to keep digging
tmallon

Post by tmallon »

Just found another note that makes sense and gives me something else to try lucky I scored the cd/radio tuner with the APIM and screen but states that the 2018 APIM might have issue on the CAN with older radios. So I will try and swap out tonight.

Even though my sync 3 came from a wrecked 2016 the APIM date sticker said June 2018 so I assume it was warranty replaced for some reason
kingminivan
Vehicle: Ford Edge, 3.5L V6/285hp, 2014

Post by kingminivan »

Any update with this issue? I am having this problem (along with a couple others) with a MFT to Sync 3 upgrade (along with some other unresolved issues). My vehicle is a Ford Edge 2014 SEL
kingminivan
Vehicle: Ford Edge, 3.5L V6/285hp, 2014

Post by kingminivan »

Have you programmed the APIM yourself? If you post the forscan as built, I may be able to help, I solved this issue myself on my APIM Sync 3.
tmallon

Post by tmallon »

Yes, and I bought a second non nav APIM programmed and still had the issue, been running sync 2 system again, till I figure it out, I will pull my config in the morning and post..