f-wolf
Vehicle: Ford XR6 Turbo BA MK II 6 Speed Manual

Re: Ford As Built Data Deciphering

Post by f-wolf » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:31 pm

SYNC® 3 Settings overview

Display
You can adjust your display by:

Brightness
Mode, which can automatically switch between day and night modes based on the outside light level
Settings.jpg
Settings.jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/ ... rview.html

Also:

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/30-focus- ... o-dim.html

FE Turbo
Vehicle: Ford Focus RS

Post by FE Turbo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:59 am

Hi,

Thank you for the information.

My settings are exactly the same as the settings in the image you attached, but the screen brightness or mode does not change at all, whether it is night or day and whether the headlights are on or off.

I have also done a master reset, with no success on solving the problem.

Do you perhaps have any more suggestions in this regard for me?

seniorgeek
Vehicle: 2016 Ford Focus RS

Post by seniorgeek » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Yes, with the new version ODB2aa posted Oct 4 2018

forscapev
Vehicle: Titanium Escape, 2L Ecoboost, 2016

Post by forscapev » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

First Kudos to ClockWork to his wonderful tool (even thought I don't really know how to use it :)) Now my issue. I have a 2016 2WD Escape Titanium that came with Sync 3 v1.0. While trying to upgrade to Sync 3 V 3, the car shut off & APIM was bricked. I got another APIM from a 2017 MKC & using FORScan I was able to get everything back to Ford OEM except the clock display. It just shows "--+--" I just assumed that Lincolln's have an analog clock in the dash so they did not need the clock on the screen. Well, just a few minutes ago I googled some 2016 MKC dashes & , yes they show the time in the top-center of the display.

I've looked everywhere but I cannot figure out how to enable or turn on the clock on the display. I am (mostly) convinced that this would be in the ACM & have downloaded 3 VIN's to compare. My own, a 2016 MKC, & an 2016 Escape SE. For some reason, when I use the tool the VIN for my vehicle will not compare (instead of 3 different colors being displayed, I only get the two for the MKC & the Escape SE) but pushing on I see that there are some changes between the Lincoln & the Ford. So can anybody tell me if the digital clock would be affected by any of these 4 lines? Green = 2016 Escape SE / Purple = 2016 MKC
Attachments
Lincoln - Ford compare.png
Lincoln - Ford compare.png (132.86 KiB) Viewed 1254 times

Lukeyson
Vehicle: Fiesta ST150/XR4, 2.0 Duratec, 2007

Post by Lukeyson » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:31 am

Hi all.

Firstly, I am new to all this As-Built stuff. But it is clear to me that figuring out what the As-Built fields do is a massive case of reverse engineering. So I have a plan.

In my case, I need to know what the settings are in a B256/B257 2001-2008 Fiesta. With my own VIN, I do a quick search on https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt and get my As-Built data. The key is knowing what bits do what. So it occurs to me - I just need a large sweep of valid VINS from that model, with info about what features are enabled, and then draw up a big map of everything and see if I can find out what features map to what As-Built bits.

To date, I have seen people share VINs or work to find small differences in models. Certainly the length of this thread indicates great interest from Taurus and F150 owners. But nobody seems to have done this for the Fiesta of the vintage I seek.

So this is my plan, and I thought I'd share.

It is possible to find working copies of Ford Microcat floating around the place. If you are interested in finding out where, PM me, and I will point you in that direction. If I get swamped with PM's, I'll ask the admins if I can post it.

With a working copy of Microcat that covers the vehicle you are interested in (European, US, Asia Pacific etc), you need to navigate to the the Data Folder, which in my case is c:\FEU_Data, and open up the VIN folder. In there is a file called MCVIN.DAT.

Next, you need to open up that file in a HEXeditor. I used Hex Editor NEO, which is great with large files. The free versions does just enough for my needs. The Hex Editor needs to be good with large files since my MCVIN.DAT is over 2GB. Within the Hex Editor, search for the starting characters of the VIN's of the type you need - in my case WF0DXX - which will find me all the German built 3-Door Fiestas. WF0DXXGAJD7 - would get me all the German Built 3 Door 2007 models. There are always maps of the VIN for your model in the relevant workshop manual for your vehicle.

Go into that Hex editor and collect a shyte load of valid VINS. I dare say someone could even write a GREP script and pull them ALL out.

Next, in Microcat, load those VINS in one by one through the search menu. Start Microcat, Pick the Model Range you are after, in my instance it is "Fiesta 01-08/Fusion (CBK)" - (The Fusion lasted to 2012). Then in the Vehicle Identification window, paste your VIN in and click on SEARCH. On the Details page you will see TABS at the bottom. The 'Major Attributes' lists things like engine, emissions, transmission, Drive, Country, Air Conditioning type etc. The 'Minor Features' list a heap of other things - ABS/ESP, Powerfold mirrors, Heated Windscreen, Auto Lights/Wipers. Etc Etc.

NEXT, you go to the Motorcraft link above, and you do the search for each VIN.

What you can build up from that is a MASSIVE list of VIN, Features and As-Built codes - hopefully to the point that with some analysis you can actually map As-Built bits to the features that they correspond to.

I can't see any reason why this approach would not work for ANY car you wanted to Decipher the As-Built Data bits, as long as you had a working copy of Microcat and a Hex Editor, and a shyte load of patience assembling all the data and doing the analysis.

Lukeyson

Lukeyson

Post by Lukeyson » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 am

Some images and files for you. There is no denying that this is long, and arduous, and will cause sweat. But it seems to me like the only approach so far that lets you easily collect mass amounts of info for the purpose of mapping out the As-Built bits.

I have just attached images showing how you get the 'enabled features' out of Microcat, and how that maps to the As-Built fields using the Motorcraft link.

Unsure if this will work.

Luke
Attachments
WF0DXXGAJD6P74149.pdf
(122.16 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Microcat Minor Features #7.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #7.jpg (151.58 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Minor Features #6.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #6.jpg (153.94 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Minor Features #5.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #5.jpg (155.81 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Minor Features #4.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #4.jpg (160.7 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Minor Features #3.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #3.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Minor Features #2.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #2.jpg (164.62 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Minor Features #1.jpg
Microcat Minor Features #1.jpg (147.42 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Microcat Major Attributes.jpg
Microcat Major Attributes.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Lukeyson

Post by Lukeyson » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 am

Aha, it worked, but it all shows in the reverse order to how I loaded it. I'll know for next time.

Luke

ClockWorK
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus SHO pp

Post by ClockWorK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:38 am

That's kinda what my compare tool does
2013 Taurus SHO (pp), AWD Gauge Enabled, Engine Hours Enabled, Nav Enabled in APIM and IPC, DRLs Enabled
AsBuilt Compare Tool: http://www.compulsivecode.com/Project_A ... mpare.aspx

Lukeyson

Post by Lukeyson » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Ooh, I thought your tool was mainly a comparator. Now I look at it, your tool is wonderful!

Does your tool have a way of finding VINs for vehicles with the features you want? I saw a lot in your deducer folder, but none of the type of car I was researching. Scratching into the Microcat DB was able to give me a heap of VINS with and without the features that I wanted to load into your tool to do the comparisons for me.

Lukeyson

Lukeyson

Post by Lukeyson » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Just trying to get serious with your tool.

I have removed the files in the deducer folder not relevant to the study I'm trying to conduct. The Deducer Get-Data appears to find my VINs in ETIS, and then retrieves the HTML and .ab versions of the As-Built. But the retrieved ETIS HTML pages don't appear to include any Major Attributes or Minor Features, and thus your tool does not provide a list of features for me to compare against the downloaded As-Built values.

Examples of the VINS I used were:
WF0DXXGAJD6T64212
WF0DXXGAJD7D89677
WF0DXXGAJD7S43907
WF0HXXGAJH7K57161
WF0HXXGAJH7Y41195

The features list is available in Microcat, so if there were a way I could manually load them into your tool I could sidestep what seems to be a lack of ETIS data for these vehicles. But doing it automatically certainly would be nicer.

Luke