Ford As Built Data Deciphering

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
ClockWorK
Vehicle: 2015 Taurus SHO pp

Re: Ford As Built Data Deciphering

Post by ClockWorK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 pm

That is good info. I will try to add something to my AsBuilt compare tool to identify and highlight bytes that are part of the VIN.
2015 Taurus SHO (pp), AWD Gauge Enabled, Engine Hours Enabled, DRLs Enabled, Sync2-to-Sync3.
AsBuilt Compare Tool: http://www.compulsivecode.com/Project_A ... mpare.aspx

DanMc85
Vehicle: Fusion, 2.0L GTDI, 2014

Post by DanMc85 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:21 am

ClockWorK wrote:That is good info. I will try to add something to my AsBuilt compare tool to identify and highlight bytes that are part of the VIN.
It's in like 7 different modules. PCM, bcm, fcim, abs, ccm, sodr, sodl, and a few others I can't think of right now off the top of my head lol. I'm on my phone and not home near my computer.
Last edited by DanMc85 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngelDeath
Vehicle: 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium

Post by AngelDeath » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 am

ClockWorK wrote:That is good info. I will try to add something to my AsBuilt compare tool to identify and highlight bytes that are part of the VIN.
Something I thought of that might make viewing a bit easier, under the Compare AS-Built, wouldnt it make sense also to put a check box to show differences only? Since that tab is used to compare data, and obviously if the data is the same we wouldnt need to look at that considering we are looking for differences.

Just a thought.

ClockWorK
Vehicle: 2015 Taurus SHO pp

Post by ClockWorK » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:35 pm

I agree, an option to only show the differences might be a good option to add.

As for the VIN, I want to locate it dynamically in the module data, but it's tricky.

I want to make the whole program a little more user friendly. But I hate to tear apart something that's working well for the people that use it. And of course, motivation and free-time factor in.

I think a lot of people don't know to include the checksum byte in the data when using the checksum calculator, and then they think the calculator doesn't work.
2015 Taurus SHO (pp), AWD Gauge Enabled, Engine Hours Enabled, DRLs Enabled, Sync2-to-Sync3.
AsBuilt Compare Tool: http://www.compulsivecode.com/Project_A ... mpare.aspx

sheltonfilms
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L Gas USA / 2013 Explorer LMT

Post by sheltonfilms » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:27 pm

ClockWorK wrote: I want to make the whole program a little more user friendly. But I hate to tear apart something that's working well for the people that use it. And of course, motivation and free-time factor in.
But most of the guys (and gals) that are using this tool probably don't need "user friendly." You don't need to make the As Built Data Compare Tool for Dummies. :mrgreen:

Airborne_Ape
Vehicle: F150, 3.5 Eco, 2017

Post by Airborne_Ape » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:17 am

ClockWorK wrote:Definitely could use a map or spreadsheet of known As-Built fields / values / descriptions.
As my first post I know this absolutely needs to be shared on these forms, but haven't seen it anywhere here. I follow ForScan over on the F150 forums but have picked up different little bits from other sites. F150 forums user: 'Livinitup', has a fantastic spreadsheet setup in google drive here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Personally, I just got a 2016 Lariat 502a with tech package (essentially a platinum with no massage seats :cry: ). I'm looking forward to some of my own trials. Unfortunately spare time is commodity I don't have much of these days. I'm a slot machine technician by trade (employed by Americans & live in Canada) and I feel I have a good aptitude for this sort of stuff; although, I have a lot of learning first. I've read a lot here and on other Ford owner forums. You guys are doing an awesome job. I'll try to post relevant information and refrain from asking redundant questions.

Thanks,
If anyone is in Alberta give me shout on the 'Alberta F150's!!' Facebook group. I always bring ForScan to local meets.

wystewart
Vehicle: Mustang GT, 5L, 2014

Post by wystewart » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:21 am

There is also this one on modifying the as-built of a 2015+ mustang

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61773

gtuttle
Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150, 5.4

Post by gtuttle » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Need help too, my neighbor that has the ford dts (hopefully it is correct terminology) & he has been trying to download the "as built" data for my 2008 ford f150 & it says it downloaded (1 kb large) but it will not send send to my pcm & then on to the abs module. the file he downloaded is in .ab format.
He has tried multiple nights to configure the abs module. Backstorey is I bought the truck at insurance auction & engine blown & it didnt come with a PCM. After installing engine & getting PCM off a freshly wrecked 2008 ford f150 truck & it had the correct PCM, he refreshed the PCM & then it keeps coming up with same code B2477. I have changed the ABS module 3 times & each time keeps coming up with same code.
My neighbor believes he needs to download the "as built" to set it up correctly becasue the original PCM was not with truck.
Any help
Garry

briankmizell
Vehicle: Ford Edge Limited, v6 3.4l/285 hp, 2014

Post by briankmizell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:56 am

ClockWorK wrote:I've been using an OBD Link MX Bluetooth, and a beta version of FORScan with great results.

I've been meaning to reply to you about the VCX Nano I offered to sell in the Detroit area (and you replied). As much as I would like to sell it to you, I think you might be better off with an OBD Link MX or similar. They're a generation or two ahead of the ELM327 I believe. I've got the VCX in a drawer, unused. My only motivation to keep it is that maybe if I really screw something up, IDS and the VCX might be able to bail me out. And we've both seen mention that these things might be sketchy.

I will PM a link to the program and explanation shortly.
to anyone looking for a very good OBD2 device, this one is well worth the money. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z ... UTF8&psc=1

It has great reviews. The price was right at $31.00 USD as of November 18, 2016.

I'm currently going though the post in this thread, I have already added Navigation to my 2014 Edge Limited.

I want to see what all I can modify, I like having a vehicle that has little subtle differences than everyone else.

If anyone could provide me a list of the things that are editable in the asbuilt data, please message me. I would greatly appreciate it.

briankmizell
Vehicle: Ford Edge Limited, v6 3.4l/285 hp, 2014

Post by briankmizell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:15 am

satria_wr wrote:
ClockWorK wrote:Last month, I purchased a modified As-Built file (.AB) for my car to enable the AWD gauge on my 2013 Taurus SHO.
I first used FORScan to read and save the .ABT files from every module of my car.
Then I compared the FORScan files to the purchased .AB file, and identified the difference. At 720-01-02, one byte (and the checksum) were different.
Lastly, I used a beta of FORScan to program the changed bytes in the vehicle As-Built data.

Originally, all my comparing was being done by hand, and that was tedious.
Since I'm about to try enabling some more features, I needed an easier way to compare As-Built data.

It looks like this:

The difference shown is two bits. I'm not clear on whether these are single-bit flags (changed two values from binary 0 to 1) or if this is a 2-bit field (change one value from binary 00 to 11).

Then I started thinking, I can look up VINs of different vehicles and possibly narrow down which bits of As-Built data correspond to which optional features. Possibly. But I've only messed with the IPC module so far.

Definitely could use a map or spreadsheet of known As-Built fields / values / descriptions.
Where did you find that tools? Can i have a copy of the tools? Thx.

I downloaded the Asbuilt explorer, but it will not open in windwos vista premium.

Is it the same program as the asbuilt compare?

here is a screen shot of the error it gave me.
Attachments
Asbuilt explorer.JPG
screenshot of error
Asbuilt explorer.JPG (27.83 KiB) Viewed 9484 times