Ford As Built Data Deciphering

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
sheltonfilms
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L Gas USA / 2013 Explorer LMT

Ford As Built Data Deciphering

Post by sheltonfilms » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 am

Are there some good resources for researching which AS BUILT DATA hex values mean what/do what?

I know some values have been "translated" which is why you see two different module configuration selections for certain modules.

I also know that the last two digits of the values are the checksum for the variables.

Example: 760-01-04 3733 D6

Add every 2 digit hex (except last two): 07+60+01+04+37+33=D6

I would like to help add more "descriptions" to the list but I'm looking for some direction.

FORScan
Site Admin

Re: Ford As Built Data Deciphering

Post by FORScan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:53 am

It is not necessary to calculate checksum, FORScan does it automatically if necessary.

We are working now on article that explains AB management.

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:33 am

Didn't even realize the auto calculation of the checksum.

Can't wait for the article.

ClockWorK
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus SHO pp

Post by ClockWorK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Not sure if anyone would be interested (or if this is not the proper place), but I've written a small program for comparing As-Built data side-by-side. It can read .AB files and .ABT files, and highlights differences. Shows values in hex and bin. If there is any interest, I will upload it. I only started on it yesterday, so it's not 100% done yet. I'm a n00b to As-Built data so far, but this was a tool I needed for me, so I put it together.

It also has a checksum calculator.
2013 Taurus SHO (pp), AWD Gauge Enabled, Engine Hours Enabled, Nav Enabled in APIM and IPC, DRLs Enabled
AsBuilt Compare Tool: http://www.compulsivecode.com/Project_A ... mpare.aspx

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:40 pm

ClockWorK wrote:Not sure if anyone would be interested (or if this is not the proper place), but I've written a small program for comparing As-Built data side-by-side. It can read .AB files and .ABT files, and highlights differences. Shows values in hex and bin. If there is any interest, I will upload it. I only started on it yesterday, so it's not 100% done yet. I'm a n00b to As-Built data so far, but this was a tool I needed for me, so I put it together.

It also has a checksum calculator.
I would be interested in this.

ClockWorK

Post by ClockWorK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Last month, I purchased a modified As-Built file (.AB) for my car to enable the AWD gauge on my 2013 Taurus SHO.
I first used FORScan to read and save the .ABT files from every module of my car.
Then I compared the FORScan files to the purchased .AB file, and identified the difference. At 720-01-02, one byte (and the checksum) were different.
Lastly, I used a beta of FORScan to program the changed bytes in the vehicle As-Built data.

Originally, all my comparing was being done by hand, and that was tedious.
Since I'm about to try enabling some more features, I needed an easier way to compare As-Built data.

It looks like this:

The difference shown is two bits. I'm not clear on whether these are single-bit flags (changed two values from binary 0 to 1) or if this is a 2-bit field (change one value from binary 00 to 11).

Then I started thinking, I can look up VINs of different vehicles and possibly narrow down which bits of As-Built data correspond to which optional features. Possibly. But I've only messed with the IPC module so far.

Definitely could use a map or spreadsheet of known As-Built fields / values / descriptions.
2013 Taurus SHO (pp), AWD Gauge Enabled, Engine Hours Enabled, Nav Enabled in APIM and IPC, DRLs Enabled

sheltonfilms

Post by sheltonfilms » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:32 pm

ClockWorK wrote: Definitely could use a map or spreadsheet of known As-Built fields / values / descriptions.
Bingo. I would also like to see a module identifier list (like 720 for IPC and 726 for BCM)

nvidican
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L V8

Post by nvidican » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Interested in the app your wrote to check difference - I was able to alter the as built data in the .ab file for my ACM (audio control module) but I've been unable to verify if IDS actually wrote it the way I wanted or not. I've just recently started messing with ForScan hoping that it can both help me verify the value and also allow me to change it as need be. I'm still waiting on sourcing in hardware to work with ForScan which can/will read/write the MS-CAN network for my ACM module. I had two ELM327 and was able to get a beta version of Forscan emailed to me - but the reader is unable to get the MS-CAN data for some reason now so I'm looking into better (J2534 clones; VCX nano, etc) instead... I've had some experience tweaking the .ab file though and might be able to help with your app if you'd like?

ClockWorK

Post by ClockWorK » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:31 pm

I've been using an OBD Link MX Bluetooth, and a beta version of FORScan with great results.

I've been meaning to reply to you about the VCX Nano I offered to sell in the Detroit area (and you replied). As much as I would like to sell it to you, I think you might be better off with an OBD Link MX or similar. They're a generation or two ahead of the ELM327 I believe. I've got the VCX in a drawer, unused. My only motivation to keep it is that maybe if I really screw something up, IDS and the VCX might be able to bail me out. And we've both seen mention that these things might be sketchy.

I will PM a link to the program and explanation shortly.

satria_wr
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Ecosport 1.5L Ti-VCT 110hp

Post by satria_wr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:06 am

ClockWorK wrote:Last month, I purchased a modified As-Built file (.AB) for my car to enable the AWD gauge on my 2013 Taurus SHO.
I first used FORScan to read and save the .ABT files from every module of my car.
Then I compared the FORScan files to the purchased .AB file, and identified the difference. At 720-01-02, one byte (and the checksum) were different.
Lastly, I used a beta of FORScan to program the changed bytes in the vehicle As-Built data.

Originally, all my comparing was being done by hand, and that was tedious.
Since I'm about to try enabling some more features, I needed an easier way to compare As-Built data.

It looks like this:

The difference shown is two bits. I'm not clear on whether these are single-bit flags (changed two values from binary 0 to 1) or if this is a 2-bit field (change one value from binary 00 to 11).

Then I started thinking, I can look up VINs of different vehicles and possibly narrow down which bits of As-Built data correspond to which optional features. Possibly. But I've only messed with the IPC module so far.

Definitely could use a map or spreadsheet of known As-Built fields / values / descriptions.
Where did you find that tools? Can i have a copy of the tools? Thx.
2014 Ford Ecosport Titanium
1.5 Ti-VCT Sigma (Remapped using PCMFlash)
PowerShift
2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Limited
2.4 4N15 DiD (Remapped using New Genius)
8-A/T