2015 F150 New PSCM As-Built

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
bourgeois.jason
Vehicle: F-150, 2.7 liter, 2015

2015 F150 New PSCM As-Built

Post by bourgeois.jason »

Hi,

I just installed a new Motorcraft Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) assembly last night. I forgot to save the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) data from the last one and cannot get it, as it has already been returned to the parts store. I did get the Motorcraft as-built data and used Forscan to write it to the PSCM. I still have the U2100:55 code (module not configured). When I drove the truck around the neighborhood, I also get the ABS U0420 code (improper data from PSCM).

I looked at the as-built data and compared it to the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0) that was linked in under the thread on Useful Links (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4393). I noticed the following:
730-01-01 xx** xxxx xxxx Tire Rolling Radius

Those asterisks in my as-built data are "00". Why would the tire rolling radius be 0mm? It doesn't make sense. I have 245/70R17 tires.

I saw other people posting as-built data with "00" in that field, so I assume something else is wrong on my end.

I have spent a few hours researching this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do this without going to Ford and paying $180 for an hour of service.

Thanks,

Jason
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Re: 2015 F150 New PSCM As-Built

Post by tractmec »

bourgeois.jason wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm
Hi,

I just installed a new Motorcraft Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) assembly last night. I forgot to save the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) data from the last one and cannot get it, as it has already been returned to the parts store. I did get the Motorcraft as-built data and used Forscan to write it to the PSCM. I still have the U2100:55 code (module not configured). When I drove the truck around the neighborhood, I also get the ABS U0420 code (improper data from PSCM).

I looked at the as-built data and compared it to the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0) that was linked in under the thread on Useful Links (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4393). I noticed the following:
730-01-01 xx** xxxx xxxx Tire Rolling Radius

Those asterisks in my as-built data are "00". Why would the tire rolling radius be 0mm? It doesn't make sense. I have 245/70R17 tires.

I saw other people posting as-built data with "00" in that field, so I assume something else is wrong on my end.

I have spent a few hours researching this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to do this without going to Ford and paying $180 for an hour of service.

Thanks,

Jason
If this was a "New" Mototcraft EPAS it is quite likely that the module is "blank" as in no IDS PMI(Programmable Module Installation) has been performed. Something you should have been alerted to upon purchase either by the parts people or a note included in the box!

This is programming in addition to installing the correct AsBuilt data and the IDS PMI process does the Asbuilt update as well during the PMI process! This can happen with Remans as well having the wrong configuration files!

Run a PSCM self test in the Service functions and see if it completes!

This is programming that installs the correct calibration, strategy file and Secondary Boot Loader into a module and this is what the U2100:55 code likely means by module not configured.
The U0420 code from the ABS means it is confused because it is getting data from the PSCM that is not telling it which way the front wheels are pointed among other things.

I doubt the Rolling radius being 00 is your problem and if the AsBuilt file from Ford shows it that way then that means this particular F150 was probably not using that in it's configuration. Probably does not even have the wheel sensors that would be needed to measure that radius and from looking at the spread sheet no one has figured out the different codes to put in there any way so 00 turned off or disabled would be the safest!

The only Option in Forscan would be to request help and likely a copy of the 2.4.3x branch, which has firmware update capability, from contact@forscan.org but you may need to hold a Paid Forscan License($10.00US 1 Year)to get it.

I have done this in a 2010 Fusion on a used PSCM with 2.4.3 but it has only one AsBuilt line and only two programmable characters with a check sum and I was updating the calibration and strategy to later files So do not know how this would work on a possible blank module?

I am Afraid that is the only suggestion I have as far as Forscan is concerned! A trip to the Dealer may still be in your future!
bourgeois.jason

Thanks for the advice! I did run the PSCM self test. It gives the "U2100 - Initial Configuration Not Complete" code.

I can try to get the v2.4.3.x Forscan, but I don't really know how to update the firmware. I do have the yearly license.

Thanks again!
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Post by Ecmbuster »

The PSCM comes blank - no software, no firmware.
The PSCM has a specific strategy that fits the correct: Year, Make, Model and all the accessories that were built in from day one.
The flash within the MCU is specific.
A smart dealer tech will also look at the remaining controllers to ensure the software level of the replacement PSCM, also compares to the remaining controllers for their status.
Faults will be cleared and all adaptations are reset.
Take the best advise from tractmec.
This is a steering control system on a network.
Go to the dealer.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
bourgeois.jason

Thank you both for the good advice. You are correct about going to the dealer. I called my local dealer, and they said it would be $125. I will also need an alignment ($100 with coupon), so I'll get them both done there tomorrow morning. I hope they can figure it out. I need the truck next weekend for a camping trip.
bourgeois.jason

I'll limit my Forscan adventures to simpler items.
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Post by Ecmbuster »

When you attend the dealership with your VIN, they will also look at any outstanding issues from their end.
Ask them to look and explain anything outstanding.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

bourgeois.jason wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:07 pm
Thanks for the advice! I did run the PSCM self test. It gives the "U2100 - Initial Configuration Not Complete" code.

I can try to get the v2.4.3.x Forscan, but I don't really know how to update the firmware. I do have the yearly license.

Thanks again!
I would have been surprised if you had gotten anything other than that U code on a self test!

If you should decide to contact FORScan,(Should send them a note about what you are trying to do and your dump.bin file and the log file Zipped and attached to an email as per the support instructions here https://forscan.org/contactus.html) and while you are waiting for their response, have good long read through this topic viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14885&start=20.

Forscan can also advise you if this is possible with them at all!

When I did the calibration update in the Fusion I got all kinds of warnings when the process completed and I had no steering assist and that scared the s$@t out of me. Especially after two of these things have failed(U3000:96 Internal Electronic Failure) and I sure did not want to have to disassemble half the car again to do another one! Fortunately the warnings all disappeared and the assist returned after cycling the ignition off and back on and starting the engine again and it has been working fine for the last three months!

I would still advise that if you are at all unsure about doing this, an hour at the dealer might be money well spent with a lot less headaches!
bourgeois.jason

I brought it to the dealership yesterday and paid $155 for the programming. All is well.

Thanks for the advice.