FORSCAN Profile for an RX8

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Miata1985
Vehicle: Mazda MX5, LF, 160HP, 2014

FORSCAN Profile for an RX8

Post by Miata1985 »

Hello together,

my first Thread/Post here ;) .
I'm using Forscan (also Forscan lite on Iphone for logging) since I'm driving Mazda several years now, and I simply love it.

To the topic:
I'm driving an Miata/MX5 from 2014 with some "small" modifications :)
Plan for this season is to add the Electric Power Steering (EPS) from an RX8.
First I wanted to check if I can reach the EPS ECU with Forscan, but unfortunately the Miata profile it doesn't try to contact the EPS ECU, and I don't have acces to an RX8 to get its profile.

So the question here is now, can anyone with a RX8 save his profile and give it to me? This would be gorgeous. For sure I can help how to save the profile.

Best regards and thanks
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Volvo Bertone and two Motorcyles

Re: FORSCAN Profile for an RX8

Post by Ecmbuster »

2014 Miata MX5 North American or Euro?
Multiple versions listed are: Club, Grand Touring, GS, GT, GX and Sport

As for the RX8, you need post the model and year to match:
The CAN network to the EPS, match the EPS torque sensor and if equipped, any ABS with or without traction control systems along with steering angle calibrations.

The PCM, ABS and EPS all need to have a converstion together.
If that works, the steering rack with the tie rod ends must be as good as a factory installation with an alignment.
Last edited by Ecmbuster on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions!
Miata1985

Post by Miata1985 »

Thanks for the reply.

It‘s a Euro „Sports-line“ (2.0 with 6 speed MT).

The EPS from the RX8 was the same over all years and models, so I‘m happy with any.

The RX8 EPS doesn‘t need that many signals from CAN, it‘s more or less a stand alone system with a torque sensor integrated into the steering rack. Some used it also for EV conversions.
But it needs RPM, VSS and a startup procedure over CAN to work properly. Also I wish to have it working with forscan to have the possibility to read DTCs and PIDs.

Yes, the mechanical integration is one of the biggest challenges. The subframe of the RX8 and MX5 have similarities, but are not exactly same. So the space for the rack is there, but the brackets have to be modified.

Regards
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Find and post the Euro schematics for both models.
Miata1985

Post by Miata1985 »

I have all the schematics for my car, and I have the schematic for the EPS, but that‘s quite a bit to much data to attach.
Here is the EPS Image

But I don‘t have a wiring issue, I wired it temporarily with jumper wires and measured on the ecu itself if all is there. Also CAN signals with an oscilloscope (only if they look as they should) to be sure to not interchange high and low.

I think I simply have to use a matching forscan profile to reach it.
Miata1985

Post by Miata1985 »

Bump :D

Is there nobody that is able to give me such a forscan profile?
I would appreciate that quite much.

Regards
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

If you have the VIN of the vehicle that the EPS came out of, you might access the As-Built direct from Maxda but doubtfull.
Not all profiles are the same. You may need more than one to test and see if it fits without any errors.
If this model was used (2014 Miata) and an RX8 close to the same year (2012 RX8 is the last build)
You can find possibilities with 2004-2011 Mazda RX8 models.

Using this VIN:
JM1FE17N050145968

Using this site:
https://www5.b2b.mazda.co.jp/asbuilt/fa ... l&direct=1

There is no profile found and tried with different VIN's available.
Even if there is one, that would need to be physically accomplished / connected and saved from the RX8.
If that was even possible, the network still needs to accept the EPS with the remaining network controllers.
Miata1985

Post by Miata1985 »

The RX8 EPS doesn‘t have specific AsBuilt data. As said it‘s more or less a standalone system that need some data from the CAN.
Both the RX8 and the Miata NC are quite old electronic architectures. The Miata only has AsBuilt for PCM, RCM, IC and ABS/DSC (and TCM if AT). But also some other ECU‘s are listening to the CAN network e.g. PRHT.

The Miata never came with EPS, the RX8 had it as standard. So I think the EPS isn’t coded into AsBuilt from PCM or IC or so.
AsBuilt from an Miata and RX8 PCM I could already encode, and there is nothing that relates to EPS.

But back to initial topic:
I think we misunderstand. What I asked for is the profile that forscan creates, when first connecting to a new vehicle.
When I connect my Miata with forscan (of course deleted all profiles), forscan creates a profile, but because the Miata never came with EPS, it doesn‘t include it.
So if I‘d had any RX8 profile where EPS is included, I could connect with this profile to reach the EPS. Or better, I could include it to my profile.

Regards
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

It doesn't work that way at all.
Any profile that is connected and saved, belongs to that specific vehicle.
Any profile from any other vehicle can not be used because FORScan queries the installed networks and is looking for specifics.
Profiles in that context is meaningless because you can't do anything with it.

If the network is not active, it will never connect.
If your model came with EPS, the data would likely show up within the BCM and ABS.
If it is a factory EPS, then that network would be active and displayed.

It's Central Configuration that requires adaptation IF it's available on that model and IF what you're trying to accomplish is accepted.
viewtopic.php?t=1932

Look at this profile in the attachment, even if something is connected, Central Configuration is in control, not the profile.
It was renamed from .profile to .txt for the upload

Post your results and questions.
Post your oscilloscope images.
Post your CAN addressing.
Attachments
Ford F-150 3V 5_4L 2010 ( 2010 MY ) VIN 1FT_________36162.txt
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 6 times