PCM - ECC - high, medium, low performance setting?

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
BoLanger
Vehicle: Mondeo MK5

PCM - ECC - high, medium, low performance setting?

Post by BoLanger » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:07 am

Hi,

I was just browsing the PCM settings and came across the automatic temperature control.Image

Does anyone know what the bottom 3 settings (high, medium, low) are good for? Is this a way to reduce airflow out of the dachboard air vents? Kind of like reducing the blower speed?

Just curious ;-)

Thanks,
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (214.51 KiB) Viewed 457 times

rikbast
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo, 1.5 tdci 120 Pk, 2016

Re: PCM - ECC - high, medium, low performance setting?

Post by rikbast » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Can I ask which adapter you are using, as I can't see the PCM as you do. Sorry for the Off-topic

BoLanger

Post by BoLanger » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:52 pm

I am using the Tunnelrat Auto switch:

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.c ... 65062.aspx

Donny
Vehicle: Focus 1.6 Tdci 201071QP67

Post by Donny » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Just a guess but maybe cars built for different parts of the world have different settings depending on what the climate is like in the country that they are intended for.

BoLanger

Post by BoLanger » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:40 pm

I am not quite sure about the different climates. I did a quick setting couple of days ago and changed from ECC to ECC low performance. This caused a DTC. Unfortunately, I didn't bother back then and just changed it back again.

Actually, for the ECC, I am interested in two modifications. One is to have the ac compressor stay off even if I use the automatic switch. I kniw, when the ECC is said to do everything automatically, it also has to have authority on the ac cimpressor. On the otehr side, I had this function in my previous cars and really liked it. In the winter time, the ac compressor stayed off most of the time and I only used it once a month or on hot summer days. This made the compressor last very long and helped fuel economy.

The second thing I am looking for is to reduce the blower speed in automatic mode. I for myself don't like the strong air flow coming out of the vents and would prefere to have less airflow (with some more time needed for climate/heating to get to the target values)

Regards,

Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Post by Andyfocus » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:15 pm

its a good idea to use the air con all year round because if you dont the seals dry out and you have to have them replaced ,its the same with the compressor not using it will break it , costing more than the fuel you save . and it also helps clear the screen on those cold days with condensation on the inside of the car .
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .
The search function is there for a reason use it.
no you can no longer pm me with your 1 or 0 posts so dont try.

rikbast
Vehicle: Ford Mondeo, 1.5 tdci 120 Pk, 2016

Post by rikbast » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:44 am

Normally the AC compressor will not kick in below a threshold outside temp. In my old Mondeo (MK4) it was 4 degrees celsius

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:13 pm

rikbast wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:44 am
Normally the AC compressor will not kick in below a threshold outside temp. In my old Mondeo (MK4) it was 4 degrees celsius
sounds like your old mondeo had a dodgy sensor or the refridgeant was getting low ,only reason for it to not kick in is if it in automatic aircon mode , but should have kicked in after the engine warmed up anyway ..?

BoLanger

Post by BoLanger » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:41 pm

well... ac compressors will only work if the evaporator is running the risk of freezing. This is why typically, all auto ac systems will not work below 4 °C or so.

The comment to have a frequent use of the ac systems is absolutely correct. The problems mentioned are the reason why most auto makers recommend to have the ac on for a few minutes once a month or so, to make sure all of the seals and O rings will be lubricated.

As nearly all OEMs ask to do this only once a month, I strongly assume that non-operation for 30 out of 31 days (or 29 out of 30, or 27 out of 28 or 28 out of 29 ;-)) is absolutely OK for any ac system.

Besides a better fuel economy, I also expetc to have less wear on the compressor and compressor clutch if it simply isn't in use when not needed. I just don't know how to modify the system so that the compressor will not kick in if I push the auto button.

Andyfocus

Post by Andyfocus » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:19 pm

you will get more wear on the compressor after not been used for awhile as the oil wont have lubricated everything and dropped off it , as for wear on the clutch they are magnetic clutchs so no where note worthy unless the compressor is going to last more than around 40 years or so then they may show sign of wear but the cars usually long been scrapped before that time . (unless its a classic car thats worth restoring and keeping in show room condition. )