Fiesta display swap (Analog to Digital)

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Rosssyyy
Vehicle: Fiesta Zetec S ECOBOOST

Fiesta display swap (Analog to Digital)

Post by Rosssyyy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:25 am

I have changed my display over from the basic blue low res display to the digital display.

It did work as a plug and play and all functions were fine. The issue is that it drains my car battery to the point where it needs jumpers.

Is the because the config is wrong on Forscan? What would I need to change?

Many thanks

Don Ridley
Vehicle: 2016 Transit Connect

Re: Fiesta display swap (Analog to Digital)

Post by Don Ridley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:34 pm

You need to determine if there is actual parasitic current draw or if your battery is weak. Measure the current with and without the IPC plugged in. I doubt the IPC is drawing current but the configuration may have something else drawing current.

If you can't measure the current, study the as built configuration files and see what is different. Maybe a parking sensor or other option is turned on in the new IPC file. But you still need the current measurements to see if a configuration change makes a difference.

Rosssyyy

Post by Rosssyyy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Are you saying that the config changes automatically when I swap the screens over?

I don’t think the battery is an issue as it is fine now that I’ve reverted the change.

Don Ridley
Vehicle: 2016 Transit Connect

Post by Don Ridley » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 pm

No. The original IPC has a separate configuration file from the new one ( I assume is from a salvage vehicle). Manually reading, analyzing and changing configuration files is an advanced Forscan task and based on your questions is beyond your current skill set. You are looking at hours of work and research to figure out how all this works.

There may be an easy Forscan setting that can reconfigure new IPC. Try looking at the BdyCM main settings (extended license needed) for anything related to the IPC and IPC display. Change the settings that seem to be wrong (only owners of your make and model know exactly what are in these menus so most of us can't help).

If all of this is too confusing, your only option may be a visit to a dealer to make the necessary changes.

Rosssyyy

Post by Rosssyyy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:33 am

Don Ridley wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 pm
No. The original IPC has a separate configuration file from the new one ( I assume is from a salvage vehicle). Manually reading, analyzing and changing configuration files is an advanced Forscan task and based on your questions is beyond your current skill set. You are looking at hours of work and research to figure out how all this works.

There may be an easy Forscan setting that can reconfigure new IPC. Try looking at the BdyCM main settings (extended license needed) for anything related to the IPC and IPC display. Change the settings that seem to be wrong (only owners of your make and model know exactly what are in these menus so most of us can't help).

If all of this is too confusing, your only option may be a visit to a dealer to make the necessary changes.
I see, I assumed that only changing the display part over and keeping the original radio/cd player would require minimal changes in Forscan. I’ve read online that people who have retrofitted sat navigation into their cars have only needed to adjust the display type and some other changes.

The car is a mk7.5 festa, not the newer mk8 type. Hope that’s understood.

typhoonf2
Vehicle: ford focus 1.6 tdci 2013

Post by typhoonf2 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:30 pm

I did the same screen swap on my fiesta a few years ago. I changed the black mono screen to a colour one and it was just plug and play I never altered any settings and there wasn’t any battery drain.