Resetting ABS module - will it need calibrating?

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Octi
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Ranger Wildrak 3.2L

Resetting ABS module - will it need calibrating?

Post by Octi » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:26 am

Hi,

I have a 2014 Ford Ranger 3.2L Wildtrak. I recently fitted a trailer module & wiring and made the associated changes to the following four options in the BCMii Central Configuration (Main):
• Rear foglight tow function
• Trailer module
• Towbar
• Trailer Stability Assist (the wiring instructions didn’t ask me to change this but I did - should I have?)

The first trailer module I fitted was defective (I eventually discovered!) and whilst trouble shooting I played with the settings of the above four options. At some point whilst making changes to the above four settings I triggered an ABS DTC (see attached) and associated brake, ABS & traction control dash board warning lights. I think the error and lights appeared when I made changes to the trailer stability assist option when the defective trailer module was still fitted.

I have now fitted a working trailer module and everything is now working fine, except that I still have the ABS DTC and warning lights. I would now like to attempt to clear this, but I am not sure whether clearing ABS DTCs will then require the ABS module to be re-calibrated or not.

Can someone please tell me if clearing the ABS module DTCs will then require re-calibration of the ABS module and if so, how to do that.

Cheers,
Attachments
ABS DTC.png
ABS DTC.png (83.86 KiB) Viewed 225 times

Keithmac
Vehicle: MK2 Kuga 2l dcti 163 Powershift 2013.

Re: Resetting ABS module - will it need calibrating?

Post by Keithmac » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:29 pm

Just clearing the DTC codes should be fine.

There is a function to RESET certain modules abd that would more than likely require a recalibration afterwards.

You've got a fair few DTC's..

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Post by denbo » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:36 pm

AS kiethmac says, clearing fault codes will not harm anything. With the amount of codes you have, i would be looking at these first. Myself, i would start with a battery check under load. Not something you can do without the correct tools.

Octi

Post by Octi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:46 am

Most of those DTCs say "DTC not present at time of request". One says "DTC maturing - intermittent at time of request". Another says "DTC present at time of request". The last two are shown in the attachment.

I have taken that to mean that the issue(s) that caused most of the DTCs has gone away. They all appeared when I fitted the broken trailer module. Is my thinking correct?
Attachments
dtcs to check.docx
(315.77 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

Octi

Post by Octi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 pm

So I reset the DTCs for the ABS module, but the attached DTC came back again immediately. Any thoughts?
Attachments
ABS DTC resized.png
ABS DTC resized.png (107.19 KiB) Viewed 159 times

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Post by denbo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:24 am

If you go to programing its pretty strait forward, it asks some questions about what equipment you have fitted. You answer yes/no. If your unsure about anything you can always go back to as built >you did save all your profile before you started< and start again.