[Solved] PATS programs one key or the other key but not both

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
mikeyj001
Vehicle: Ford Focus, diesel 1.8 TDCI 2008

[Solved] PATS programs one key or the other key but not both

Post by mikeyj001 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:16 am

Hi FORSCAN team,

I have a salvage 2008 Ford Focus mk 2.5 that came without keys. I had a locksmith create 2 remote keys which will lock/unlock the car.

I'm trying to use FORSCAN to program the new keys so that I can at least crank the engine. PATS programming showed 2 original keys stored, so I erased them in order to create and store the new keys. Up to now I can only create one key, and PATS programming fails when creating the second key. This happens regardless of which key is programmed first.

To make things clear, I have new keys for programming, Key A and Key B. If I start with Key A, only that one will be programmed, and Key B fails programming. If I start with Key B, only that key will be programmed and Key A fails programming.

In my online search I haven't seen a case like this, however some users have sent in logs for the 'PATS programming failed' issue. Can you let me know which logs you need to analyze the problem.

Grateful for any help.
Last edited by mikeyj001 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denbo
Vehicle: ford focus 16 zetec

Re: PATS programs one key or the other key but not both

Post by denbo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:51 am

It seems to me that its still in programming mode. Did you follow the procedure to the letter? Others have had this problem but can,t remember how to fix it. Use the search.

mikeyj001

Post by mikeyj001 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:43 am

Hi denbo,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did follow to the letter. I can't do much more when the 'Programming failed' message comes up when it reaches 13%. When I press OK, it just brings me back to the Programming menu.

Funnily enough, yesterday I couldn't get either key to be programmed. I did do a search on Google and on this forum prior to posting. Since the keys came from a locksmith, I'd expect them to be in good working order.

I'll do another search here, maybe I missed something.

Thanks.

denbo

Post by denbo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:36 am

As an after thought "and i get sick of writing this" did you have battery support or charger connected.And one more thing, close the doors.

hueypilot
Vehicle: 2017 Ford Police 3.5L

Post by hueypilot » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 pm

It sound like you have two cloned keys. So both keys appear the same to the PCM.

denbo

Post by denbo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 am

If they were copies of each other then both would work/not work. Even if they were faulty clones, they would work or not work. not work one minute then not the next. When you delete both keys, go back and check that they have indeed been deleted. Then start again with a charger connected and you can see the voltage on the screen as above 12v. Do not start until it is.

mikeyj001

Post by mikeyj001 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies for not replying sooner, I had to rush out of the country due to a family emergency. I just came back yesterday.

Yes I have a charger attached during the process, although I have had the driver door open so that might not help. Also as I have the engine compartment fuse box open for testing the wiring underneath the fusebox, the battery is not situated in place and is on top of the engine at the moment so the bonnet has to be up. If one key can be programmed, I don't see why any open door would stop the second key from being programmed.

It's difficult to tell whether the DTC codes that come up are relevant right now. I noticed the battery drains quite a bit during this key programming process, so I guess it won't work if the voltage is below 12.5V.

Whenever I finish the process, Forscan will show 1 key programmed. When I delete the programmed key, it goes back to 0.

At this point, I'm still waiting to find out from the Forscan team which logs they need. Maybe I'll just check the forum rules and email any logs I get.

Thanks

FORScan
Site Admin

Post by FORScan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:39 pm

hueypilot provided correct answer: if you have 2 cloned keys, they have the same transponder ID and are recognized as the same single key by PATS. So you can program only first of them. Second cannot be programmed because it is already programmed (from PATS point of view). And now the topic starter cannot run the engine, because PATS knows only 1 key (must be at least two). So removing old keys was wrong decision in this situation. Now 2nd DIFFERENT key has to be obtained.

Lee25
Vehicle: Focus Zetec, 1.6

Post by Lee25 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 pm

See if you can get a second hand key and remove the transponder and place into one of your keys then try again there will be two different transponders in the the two keys so should work

david6688
Vehicle: FIESTA,1.6/120,2018

Post by david6688 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 am

iky