‘19 Navigator TBC

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
cterrysgd
Vehicle: 2018 F-150 Raptor

‘19 Navigator TBC

Post by cterrysgd » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi All!

Been using Forscan for a couple years on F150’s and now moving onto a new Navigator I just got.

‘19 Reserve W/Out Tow Package. Trying to add the Trailer Brake Controller and 12V signal to charge the battery on my trailer while driving.

Downloaded most recent version of FS off website and it opened up the IPC menu for me which is where everyone find the TBC Gain and TBC Module to turn on in F150’s. Don’t have those options in my IPC. Tons of other options but not that. Tried changing the As Built config for:

IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x8xx xxxx and
IPC 720-04-01 xx4x xxxx xxxx

Neither will write. Keeps saying programming stopped or something.

Anyone have any ideas? Dealer said they turned on in their programming and it did nothing.

Thanks a bunch!

Chris

breaker
Vehicle: Expedition, 3.5L, 2019

Re: ‘19 Navigator TBC

Post by breaker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:51 pm

We have a 2019 Expedition and think we are both in the same boat here. Nothing is really working on our new vehicles yet. They are saying that we should be able to here pretty soon.

cterrysgd

Post by cterrysgd » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Thank you. For now my aftermarket controller will work for brakes but I'm not get a 12v charge on my trailer battery.

Any idea if that's a missing wire/fuse or if its a programming thing that activates that wire on models W/Out Tow Package?

Chris

sadistictech
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Flex

Post by sadistictech » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:46 pm

The battery charging CKT is controlled by the TRM. To have it supply power the module needs to see an battery input before it supplies power on that CKT. Not having a battery on the trailer, a bad break away battery (trailer brake), poor connections, or a bad battery in the trailer will cause the TRM to not supply power to the charge line. The benefit to this is it can correctly charge AGM, lead acid, flooded, and with the correct controller- lithium. The downside is that those that don't have batteries but have accessories that need the 12 volt will not get it supplied. I have not found any programing to allow power from the module all the time but I am assuming it can be done ( I just don't know how). The work around is to run a fused line from the battery to the charging line to allow it to run the accessories. Hope this helps

cterrysgd

Post by cterrysgd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Interesting. I have a 1 year old battery that reads charged and in working condition on the trailer I hooked it to. Wondering if it was reading fully charged and therefor the green light I normally see when its plugged into my ‘18 f150 was off because it knew not to charge or if there’s something else that it didn’t like and then didn’t send the 12v through.

sadistictech
Vehicle: 2010 Ford Flex

Post by sadistictech » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Where is this green light at? If it's on the trailer next to a small battery and has a "test" light then I suspect it is the break away controller for the brakes. The only other time I see charging light is with a lithium battery controller/charging system or a camper power control panel. If it is a break away brake controller then I see them wired in piggybacked on the trailer brake CKT or the charge CKT. Some of the conditions that the TBR wants to have before it sends power is the TRM detects that a trailer is connected, the ignition is on and engine is running, a brake pedal application has been detected in the present ignition cycle, and the BCM load shed strategy is not active (a message will be displayed in the instrument cluster, such as "Low Battery Features Temporarily Turned Off" or "Turn Power Off To Save Battery" to indicate that BCM load shed strategy is active).

cterrysgd

Post by cterrysgd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 am

Update... Got this working with the new Forscan release. I had the truck at the dealer to try and enable and they were stumped for weeks. Went up and requested my truck back b/c I was sick of waiting and come to find out that in the new release there are new options in the IPC. Enabled and my Brake Controller works no problem now. Hooked up to my trailer and voila! What they dealer had for weeks going back and forth with Ford for I had running in 20 mins with the new release! Mind boggling to me!

The only thing that isn’t working is the charging of my trailer battery or 12v constant while the trailer RV style 7 pin flat is plugged in. Will work on that and report back if I find a fix. That should be on from the factory regardless of whether you have tow package or not if you’re making the 7 pin harness available.

Chris

Stedy1
Vehicle: Expedition, ecoboost 3.5, 2019

Post by Stedy1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:15 pm

What are these new options? I have a 2019 Expedition. Installed the brake controller and have not been able to program with forscan.

Stedy1
Vehicle: Expedition, ecoboost 3.5, 2019

Post by Stedy1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:02 am

The Forscan support person came through with a fix for my 2019 Expedition TBC. He sent a new version of Forscan. I was using 2.3.28 and he sent 2.3.29.