BA Falcon (AUS) PCM firmware update fail - 2.4.7.test20230102

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
christopherhughclark
Vehicle: Ford Falcon UTE BA 2005 4.0L 4SP AUTO

BA Falcon (AUS) PCM firmware update fail - 2.4.7.test20230102

Post by christopherhughclark »

Hey, not sure where to start.
Currently I am working with a wrecker that has access to IDS to fix my issue, they were able to bench flash recover my original PCM BUT it is not configured correctly, should have it all sorted tomorrow with any luck when they have the vehicle in person.

I am just trying to find out why this failed as I have programmed this vehicle and another in the past without issue.
Is it a bug of the new FORScan beta?
Is it a failure of the vLinker FS?

Unfortunately, I do not have a vehicle profile backup of my original PCM. I do have a .RAWT backup of my original PCM Vehicle ID block.

I have a Vgate vLinker FS.
Previously I updated the PCM in this vehicle with no problems with FORScan 2.4.7 test20221012 and vLinker FS firmware V2.0.88. (3R23-12A650-AAE to 3R23-12A650-AAF screenshot attached)
I also previously firmware updated some modules in a Mazda CX-5 KF with the same vLinker FS.

The laptop died, I got a replacement, running the latest FORScan 2.4.7.test20230102 I tried editing the tyre size in PCM Vehicle ID block configuration which requires a full firmware flash, this flash failed and bricked the PCM, I was unable to recover the PCM.

I thought potentially it was an issue with the replacement laptop so I borrowed a family members laptop, noticed there was a firmware update for the vLinker FS so i updated that also (V2.0.91.beta6), wasn't able to find the old version of FORScan I used previously so again I used the latest 2.4.7.test20230102.

Got a replacement PCM from the wreckers, did a PATS, verified the engine started and ran ok, went back to PCM Vehicle ID block configuration to edit the VIN as well as Speed Control and Speed Signal Output Control to match my original PCM. This flash failed and bricked the PCM.
I tried reflashing both PCM's without success (using my backup .RAWT of the Vehicle ID block).
Vehicle would fail to connect once PCMs bricked.

VIN ending 44499 is my vehicle. The other VIN is the wreckers PCM.
Attachments
ORIGINAL PCM INFO PRIOR TO SUCCESSFUL UPDATE IN NOVEMBER.txt
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
SCREENSHOT FROM PRIOR UPDATE IN NOVEMBER.png
SCREENSHOT FROM PRIOR UPDATE IN NOVEMBER.png (62.56 KiB) Viewed 713 times
FLASH FAILED.PNG
FLASH FAILED.PNG (191.59 KiB) Viewed 713 times
FLASH FAILED.txt
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
WRECKER PCM VEHICLE PROFILE.zip
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
WRECKER PCM INFO.txt
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
christopherhughclark

Re: BA Falcon (AUS) PCM firmware update fail - 2.4.7.test20230102

I just tried to flash the bricked PCM with an OpenPort 2.0 cable on 2.4.7.test20230102 and 2.4.7.test20221227.
I also tried the vLinker FS with test20221227.
Fails with the same log result as previously uploaded (Loading block 1/2).

I am not sure if the OpenPort 2.0 cable is supported but thought I would give it a go.
Ecmbuster
Vehicle: Subaru, Volvo Bertone and two Motorcycles

Post by Ecmbuster »

Tactrix Openport 2.0 is a good cable but not meant for the Ford products.
Not familiar with vLinker FS, more familiar with OBDLink EX.

The best connection is with on-line IDS (not a clone VCM) or a legitimate J2534-2 device.
A Ford subscription is not expensive.

FJDS software provides module reprogramming software (FMP) that covers from 1996 to present Ford, Lincoln and Mercury.
Find in your Zone (AU) the Ford subscription service.
If another PCM is being shipped and you have "another brick in the wall", use the subscription service to possibly revive the dead controllers.

You must have a power supply attached to the battery at all times, NOT a battery charger.
Minimum 55 AMPS is required.

If you have the firmware that fits the PCM, the VCM connected to IDS that was used and connect with FORScan. All you need is the drivers. < That is one idea.

FJDS with a subscription is the best idea with a power supply attached to a well charged battery.

Bench flashing works well providing the cables are robust. Be aware, bench flashing will also create many faults because there are "missing pieces" from the network.

Another solution with the correct firmware is using the download from this post. See the last page:
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 667#p84667
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions! There's a special place for NOT following up!
oldtinfords
Vehicle: BFII XR8 boss 260 5.4l 2006....BFII XR6T 2007....

Post by oldtinfords »

FORScan are aware that BA PCM programming is not working & they are working on it. Once bricked, you need to connect using the previously saved profile. It'll find the PCM & is how to instigate recovery, once flashing these modules is properly supported.

If you have paid for FORScan, you can send an email to support. If you haven't, go buy the extremely cheap 1 year licence so you have access to support.
The more people who are paid customers & needing the function, the sooner it may happen.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Interesting post. Save and maintain the scans and all other data.
Post your notes when possible.
Your details may help AU models / Users into the future.
Do not ask for help in PM. Use the forum to ask and answer questions! There's a special place for NOT following up!
oldtinfords

Post by oldtinfords »

Ecmbuster wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:44 am
Tactrix Openport 2.0 is a good cable but not meant for the Ford products.
Not familiar with vLinker FS, more familiar with OBDLink EX.
The Tatrix OpenPort 2.0 cable works perfectly when tuning Ford PCM's & is recommended by the developers of PCMTEC tuning software. Ford PCM's & TCM's in Australian Falcons & Mustangs have been programmed thousands of times. This includes strategies changed, VID block data edited, full tuning custom OS tuning with flex fuel on the stock Ford PCM.

I'd like a dollar for every time I've flashed a Ford PCM or ZF6 TCM using the Tatrix cable.
Ecmbuster

Post by Ecmbuster »

Agreed but the point being, does it have access to the MS CAN (Medium Speed CAN) and have that cable as well but use it strictly with Subaru models.
oldtinfords

Post by oldtinfords »

Ecmbuster wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:25 am
Agreed but the point being, does it have access to the MS CAN (Medium Speed CAN) and have that cable as well but use it strictly with Subaru models.
This topic is programming of BA Falcon (AUS) PCM firmware update fail & to make a statement that, "Tatrix Openport 2.0 is a good cable but not meant for the Ford products", is only partially correct. There are several J2534 cables that aren't specifically designed to work with ford modules, but they do. The Tatrix can be used on Ford modules that are on HS CAN, which I had been doing for years before getting an OBDLink MX+, OBDLink EX & vLinker FS cable.
I'm aware it can't access modules on MS CAN but it doesn't need to when programming Ford PCM's or TCM's. Again, the subject of this topic.
christopherhughclark

I emailed FORScan support, after sending a couple different logs and debug files they made a 2.4.7 test version that fixed my issue.

I was able to flash both PCMs with FORScan v2.4.7 test20230111
I used the vLinker FS for one and the OpenPort 2.0 for the other (just in case using different adapters would be helpful for FORScan support).

Support was amazing, very fast to respond, offered some suggestions, sent me a couple test builds to try.
Got two perfectly working and correctly configured PCMs now.
oldtinfords

Post by oldtinfords »

christopherhughclark wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:19 pm
I emailed FORScan support, after sending a couple different logs and debug files they made a 2.4.7 test version that fixed my issue.

I was able to flash both PCMs with FORScan v2.4.7 test20230111
I used the vLinker FS for one and the OpenPort 2.0 for the other (just in case using different adapters would be helpful for FORScan support).

Support was amazing, very fast to respond, offered some suggestions, sent me a couple test builds to try.
Got two perfectly working and correctly configured PCMs now.
Can you post an image of your settings page? The OpenPort 2.0 is failing to write several BA PCM's using the latest FORScan v2.4.7 test20230117 build. It doesn't even get to the erase point before it says failed. Good in a way because it doesn't brick it.

I'd like to test your J2534 setting to confirm it's working or not. I've provided FORScan new logs & debug so they can investigate.

The vLinker FS works perfectly to reprogram the VID & update the strategy on BA PCM's.