Is there a way to keep reverse camera energized above 10mph..

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
carguy1234
Vehicle: ford, 2.7, 2020

Is there a way to keep reverse camera energized above 10mph..

Post by carguy1234 »

i have a aftermarket radio but use the factory reverse camera.
i have wired up a momentary switch so i can view the reverse camera without being in "reverse"
when i hit the button the radio will show the camera, it works great below 10-15mph.
i use this to make sure the tail gate is closed if i have a brain fart and want to make sure.
but is there a way to keep the reverse camera energized above 10-15mph, i get a no video signal on the screen when above..

tks
jim
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Re: Is there a way to keep reverse camera energized above 10mph..

Post by Graham17 »

Its illegal in most countries to drive with video engaged (apart from rear seat passengers) as it distracts the driver and can cause accidents hence why it goes off after 5mph. Not sure why you would want it anyway, if as you say its to check tailgate is closed, just use rear view mirror or confirm before driving off.
atikovi
Vehicle: 2016 Ford Taurus

Post by atikovi »

Graham17 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:33 am
Its illegal in most countries to drive with video engaged (apart from rear seat passengers) as it distracts the driver and can cause accidents hence why it goes off after 5mph. Not sure why you would want it anyway, if as you say its to check tailgate is closed, just use rear view mirror or confirm before driving off.
That is meant for people watching videos or movies. Using the BUCAM is no more distracting then using the rear view mirror or using the display screen in the dash for navigation. It would be a slow day for the cops to ticket someone using the backup camera while driving instead of going after people texting or using handheld phones while driving.
atikovi
Vehicle: 2016 Ford Taurus

Post by atikovi »

carguy1234 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:39 am
i have a aftermarket radio but use the factory reverse camera.
i have wired up a momentary switch so i can view the reverse camera without being in "reverse"
when i hit the button the radio will show the camera, it works great below 10-15mph.
i use this to make sure the tail gate is closed if i have a brain fart and want to make sure.
but is there a way to keep the reverse camera energized above 10-15mph, i get a no video signal on the screen when above..
I have an aftermarket radio and camera on a tow vehicle and installed such a switch. It's great for monitoring what you are towing for a flat tire or anything out of the ordinary. Figure out what signal activates the camera like 12V+ or maybe ground, then wire up a switch to manually control it.
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Post by Graham17 »

I would beg to differ as all video regardless of whether movie or rear view is distracting, a rearview mirror is but a quick look before making a manouvre. However its not up to me to debate legalities.
The original factory rearview camera has ignition controlled 12v for power, it also uses 2 video wires to your APIM but also uses a lin signal to determine reverse gear selection and steering angle providing your guidelines etc its this module to module communication that probably disables the video once a set speed is reached. Therefore not possible with factory camera.
You could use a second cheap camera alongside factory one to this, but would need your switch wiring to a common n/o, n/c relay. Put your video + new cam onto n/o and video of existing factory video + onto n/c. The common goes to your existing screen. That way when you flick your switch it provides 12v+ to both new camera and relay deenergising factory camera in pref to new aux camera which doesn't have a lin wire therefore will remain active.