Issue Enabling reverse camera on mk4 Focus

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
Graham17
Vehicle: Fiesta, 1.0 ecoboost/125/2016 Focus Mk4/125/2019

Issue Enabling reverse camera on mk4 Focus

Post by Graham17 »

Morning guys, this is a strange one as done this several times previously on Diff cars ie Mk7.5 and Mk8 Fiesta and Mk3 and 4 Focus.
So i bought an aftermarket NTSC reverse camera, same as used before, ran a co-ax to the sync 3 APIM pins 14 and 15 (hard on mk4 focus as you have to completely dismantle dashboard to get to APIM) Anyway i then ran power to reverse lamp and neg to ground.
When i select reverse camera lights up and get battery voltage at the camera. I have tested both pins 14 and 15 all the way to camera plug so know there ok and tested camera on 12v battery and TV and got good colour image so know that all works as it should.
I have enabled reverse camera in the BCM using Forscan and done a reset.
I have also amended the APIM line to the following:
7DO-01-01 0A6A 05DA 54 the 2nd digit A is reverse camera enabled. A master reset was then done.
ISSUE- for some reason when i select reverse you dont get the reverse camera, not even a blank image as you should, i do get reverse lamp and the camera powering up. Any ideas or suggestions?
Cant put all dash back together until i know cameras working, so have just plugged all items back in temporary to test.
I do get the reverse parking sensor display but not camera. I have also both enabled and disabled enhanced display on the APIM (which superimposes the reverse parking sensor image over the camera) no change.
I know this should work as done it before but its not??
Ghano38
Vehicle: Ford c max

Re: Issue Enabling reverse camera on mk4 Focus

Post by Ghano38 »

Hi there,according to my own experience you don't need to activate it in BCM but only in APIM since it's an aftermarket one, you just have to choose the right digit and letter in the line to get it work you can also choose the car model( sedan,suv ...)up right in the display,i will check mine give you more information.
How did you powered it ?
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Thanks for reply, i have always used cyanlabs.net and found the APIM asbuilt codes spot on. As for BCM thought it needed amending to tell APIM when in reverse to change screens ie put camera image up?
For power i have used both ign controlled +12v and also reverse light 12v tried Both and have same result camera powers up but no image and screen doesnt change to camera view.
This is strange as Fiesta mk8 identical APIM works perfectly. Only difference between Fiesta mk8, Focus Zetec and my Titanium is the Titanium has factory parking sensors front and rear, whereas i added them to both other cars. Cant see why that would make a difference but?
Ghano38

Post by Ghano38 »

Normally the APIM receives the reverse signal automatically from the BCM it is a matter of programming i did activate it in the BCM hoping it add the dynamic moving lines but it didn't work since it's an aftermarket one and i had to deactivate it because of dtc's relied to the lack of the appropriate module(lin bus) for powering i used the tailgate windshield wiper avoid using the reverse lights it may cause delay issue,look at this,it cames from another forum post,it helps me a lot,it's applicable for mk3 and mk3.5 it could work also for mk4 Sync 3.

7DO-04-02 **XX

The XX should be 01 for just rear sensors.

7D0-01-01 *X**

The X should be B for PDC and Reversing Camera or 9 for just rear sensors.

7D0-02-02 **** X***

Above needs to be checked as PDC architecture needs to be C1MCA. Look at the list below and see what it is currently set to, then choose the option that is identical but C1MCA.

0=DS off, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

1=DS off, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

2=DS off, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU not present

3=DS off, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU present

4=DS off, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

5=DS off, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

6=DS off, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU not present

7=DS off, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU present

8=DS on, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

9=DS on, RSS not present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

A=DS on, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU not present

B=DS on, RSS not present, CIMCA, TCU present

C=DS on, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU not present

D=DS on, RSS present, CGEA 1.3, TCU present

E=DS on, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU not present

F=DS on, RSS present, CIMCA, TCU present

Enable the Flank Guard

7D0-02-02 *3** **** ****
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Thanks for info, according to Cyanlabs 7DO-01-01 should
Screenshot_20210617-091839_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210617-091839_Samsung Internet.jpg (355.24 KiB) Viewed 184 times
be set to B for mk3, 3.5 Focus but A for mk4, however only difference is 1 is FOE illumination other is FNA illumination, whatever that means? In the interest of solving it i will try B setting and hope thats it.
Wasn't aware you didn't need to program BCM with aftermarket camera, and your def right about flagging up a dtc in BCM, altho it doesnt cause issues. Again will try disabling in BCM.
I'm beginning to think maybe camera fault, altho tested it before fitting and def lights up when powered.
Guess i'll just have to remove it from boot and take it to APIM connect directly to pins 14, 15 and see if it works, if so its wiring, if not duf camera (but will re check on TV) or programming issue.
Ghano38

Post by Ghano38 »

Of course you have to eliminate any doubt concerning the cam working first and keep in mind that for some reason it may take a couple of days to really apply the chosen activations even after a master reset of the APIM and a battery disconnect it happens to me witch is really bizarre.
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Right so first off removed camera re checked on tv perfect image, next connected output direct to sync 3 pins 14 and 15 selected reverse, reverse light on so thats ok, camera powered as led lit, but no image.
Next into Forscan changed line 7DO-01-01 xBxx xxxx xx, still didnt work but screen went dark. Master reset both times.
Reverted back to xAxx again. Even swopped around pins 14 and 15, no change.
There are several possibilities.
1. Its a programming issue
2. As i added the 2 pins on 14, 15 maybe not connecting to sync through APIM plug?
3. Theres a short on cable but tests out ok from front to back and no earth faults either?
I'm running out of options, every other car worked 1st time just not the mk4 Focus!!!!
Ghano38

Post by Ghano38 »

It might be related to video format although the one you are using is fully compatible,even though when polarity is not respected you can have a destroyed signal,you can also connect the APIM's pins 14 and 15 to video source such as cccm camera with the correct format and see if it shows up.
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Tried camera in Fiesta mk8 works fine so assume correct format. APIM vers 3.1 Fiesta, 3.2 on Focus
That leaves wiring or APIM, for wiring im going to take a monitor with AV input connect to pins 14 and 15 and prove the video is working at APIM connector.
If so that leaves the APIM programme.
On the Fiesta if i selected reverse with the camera disconected i get a blank screen, on the Focus it stays on the Home screen ie satnav,radio, phone but doesnt change. This leads me to believe its a programme issue
Will return back to original asbuilt then re add reverse camera again,then reset module see if that sorts it.
Graham17

Post by Graham17 »

Still having issues, trying to enable rear view camera.
Fitted temp 12v monitor into front of car connected up to pins 14 and 15 on APIM plug, and image works fine when selecting reverse. Camera powers up and displays in temp screen. The issue is therefore with APIM know the pins are correct and def make contact when plug in place. Its got to be programming.
Been through APIM settings again and on Cyanlabs site confirming asbuilt.
Tried resetting module and master reset no change, in fact screen has no change whatsoever when reverse selected.
This is indeed a strange one. Know this works as fitted on Fiesta mk8 same camera and APIM, only difference being Fiesta didn't have parking sensors originally i enabled them, whereas Focus did.

APIM settings as follows:
7D0-01-01 0A6A 05DA 54
7D0-01-02 02FC 0641 C4
7DO-02-01 554B 902C B0
7DO-02-02 0B4B 010B C0 but tried 010(6) in place of B
7D0-02-03 EE05
7D0-04-01 0100 1D80 02
7D0-04-02 010A
Any suggestion or comments guys?