RCM code B2477, maybe found the culprit

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
t.mcginley.jr
Vehicle: 2008 Mazda Tribute, 2.3L auto, 2wd

RCM code B2477, maybe found the culprit

Post by t.mcginley.jr » Thu May 16, 2019 1:03 am

Hi all,

2008 Mazda Tribute (aka Escape) 2.3L auto 2wd

Vehicle was in a crash but no airbags deployed. RCM was full of crash data (code B1231), so I sent it out to have the crash data wiped and reset. I get it back, install it properly with a full de-power first and then a proper re-power after. Now I'm getting the B2477 code, Module Configuration Failure.

I looked up my As-built data from Ford, and compared it to what FORScan is showing me. All lines of RCM code match EXCEPT one. The last line, 737-04-01 currently shows "FF42", but the As-built data says "80C3". Could this be the source of my module config code? I'm under the impression it needs to have the exact as-built data to work. See attached pics

Any help would be great!
Attachments
As-Built data.JPG
As-Built data.JPG (18.14 KiB) Viewed 398 times
FORScan RCM log.JPG
FORScan RCM log.JPG (53.31 KiB) Viewed 398 times

linkinpark9812
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT/CS 5.0L 6-speed

Re: RCM code B2477, maybe found the culprit

Post by linkinpark9812 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:47 am

I assume you've already tried to clear the code and it keeps coming back (or can't be erased in the first place).

I'm looking at my Mustang service manual. It doesn't have that specific code that I can find, but something similar states the following as the resolution:

"INSTALL a new RCM and CARRY OUT Programmable Module Installation (PMI). Use as-built data when CARRYING OUT PMI . REFER to Restraints Control Module (RCM) in this section.

PMI is "Programmable Module Installation", which seems to be separate from your depowering/repowering procedure you brought up.

From what I see, PMI is something that is IDS specific, and Forscan cannot do. However, based on that quote above, it seems like the as-built sync could be an issue, and it very well may fix it.

In fact, my PMI instructions for when the original module isn't present states this as one of the steps:

"If the data is not available, the IDS displays a screen stating to contact the As-Built Data Center. Retrieve the data from the technician service publication website at this time and press the check mark. "
"Enter the module data and press the check mark."

While you say it's the same module, it either isn't or the original As-Built was wiped out and replaced with different values, for some odd reason. At least that's what it sounds like.

In fact, as I look at this, PMI might just be making sure the new module has the same as built data as the old module, and that's it (it's just more automated).

t.mcginley.jr

Post by t.mcginley.jr » Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 am

linkinpark9812 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:47 am
In fact, my PMI instructions for when the original module isn't present states this as one of the steps:

"If the data is not available, the IDS displays a screen stating to contact the As-Built Data Center. Retrieve the data from the technician service publication website at this time and press the check mark. "

While you say it's the same module, it either isn't or the original As-Built was wiped out and replaced with different values, for some odd reason. At least that's what it sounds like.

In fact, as I look at this, PMI might just be making sure the new module has the same as built data as the old module, and that's it (it's just more automated).
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I'm unsure why the current RCM line data doesn't match the as-built data from Ford. The RCM is for sure the original module to the vehicle, but I'm unsure what the company I sent it to did besides wiping the crash data. Is it possible that they simply entered the as-built data wrong?

Forscan will let me write that line of code, so I want to replace it with the correct as-built data. If that doesn't work I could always put back what is currently there.

Also, what does the Reset function in forscan do to the module? Is it a simple reset or does it wipe the as-built data from the module?

linkinpark9812
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT/CS 5.0L 6-speed

Post by linkinpark9812 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 am

t.mcginley.jr wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 am
linkinpark9812 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:47 am

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I'm unsure why the current RCM line data doesn't match the as-built data from Ford. The RCM is for sure the original module to the vehicle, but I'm unsure what the company I sent it to did besides wiping the crash data. Is it possible that they simply entered the as-built data wrong?

Forscan will let me write that line of code, so I want to replace it with the correct as-built data. If that doesn't work I could always put back what is currently there.

Also, what does the Reset function in forscan do to the module? Is it a simple reset or does it wipe the as-built data from the module?
I'm unsure about reset, it may just mean restarting the module or erasing learned data.

I DID find your DTC in my Mustang manual, it just isn't listed for the RCM. It's action states to "CARRY OUT Programmable Module Installation (PMI). REFER to Programmable Module Installation (PMI) in this section."

And again, from what I read, PMI is just either 1) Reading your old modules As build data, and transferring it to the new module or, if it's the same module, 2) having the new module match the old As Built data by contacting Ford (or that one site that makes it available).

EDIT: Further info on PMI that I found: https://static.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000150.pdf

Attached below are the PMI instructions listed for the Mustang, which makes it sound like you just need to restore the As Built data as it was before. Unsure why it changed, like you said.
pmi.png
pmi.png (51.16 KiB) Viewed 370 times

t.mcginley.jr

Post by t.mcginley.jr » Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the input again, all is good now.

I went through and checked each module to verify it against the As-built data from Ford, and the only line that didn't match was the last line of RCM code. I used FORScan to go in and write the correct code, and the B2477 error is now gone. I'm pretty sure the PCM needs to see all modules having the correct As-built data or else it throws a code. The code applies to any module I believe, i.e. RCM, ABS, IC, etc.