Disable Annoying Sync Voice Prompts

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
BoostedNate
Vehicle: Mustang, 2.3T, 2015

Disable Annoying Sync Voice Prompts

Post by BoostedNate » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 pm

I have a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost with the base model Sync. Any time I plug in my iPhone to USB, after a few minutes sync interrupts the music and says: “Because of the number of files on your media device some speech commands are not available on this device.”
I’ve looked and can’t find any way to disable this. Honestly I’d prefer to turn off the Sync voice prompts completely if I could.
I have the newest version of Sync installed in the vehicle. Not sure if this might be a something Forscan can modify in the ACM. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this?

BoostedNate

Re: Disable Annoying Sync Voice Prompts

Post by BoostedNate » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Let me re-word this: Is there a way to disable indexing of the iPhone with Sync to prevent this?

chrisw
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Fiesta ST180 1.6

Post by chrisw » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm

I've always understood it to be a function of the SYNC software which isn't defeatable.

If you use USB to access media on the iPhone to play through the head unit it'll always index the files. I had the same problem on my Android phone when I tried it; I quickly gave up and switched to Bluetooth.

If you only use USB to charge the phone, and use Bluetooth for media, DIYing a charge-only cable (or buying one) may do the trick.

BoostedNate

Post by BoostedNate » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

chrisw wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm
I've always understood it to be a function of the SYNC software which isn't defeatable.

If you use USB to access media on the iPhone to play through the head unit it'll always index the files. I had the same problem on my Android phone when I tried it; I quickly gave up and switched to Bluetooth.

If you only use USB to charge the phone, and use Bluetooth for media, DIYing a charge-only cable (or buying one) may do the trick.
I do notice a difference in quality when switching to bluetooth so I prefer USB. That's unfortunate that sync was designed that way. I guess the only solution would be to upgrade to an aftermarket HU.

SailorSam
Vehicle: Ford F-150, 3.5 EB, 2018

Post by SailorSam » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 am

Have you considered putting your music on a memory stick? I have one dedicated for music in my truck.

BoostedNate

Post by BoostedNate » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:53 pm

SailorSam wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 am
Have you considered putting your music on a memory stick? I have one dedicated for music in my truck.
Can't do that with Apple Music. The music can only be downloaded to the iOS device. Trying to sort through that much music using the Sync interface would be tedious to say the least.