2016 F150 Replacing BCM

Car configuration discussions and experience sharing
deanrantala
Vehicle: 2009 Mercedes CLS550

2016 F150 Replacing BCM

Post by deanrantala » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:37 am

Re-posting from ford-truck forums, here I go:

Truck: 2016 F150 (11/15)
Good afternoon gentlemen. I normally work on BMW and Mercedes, but have some limited experience with Forscan and on occasion wrench on some Domestic stuff...
Here is what I am facing:
The above mentioned truck is almost new (less than 5,000 miles) but was under water. It was under water up to almost the top of the engine. The PCM stayed dry, but everything else went under. I have diagnosed a bad BCM and likely a bad SRS module. Not sure what else until I get the new BCM in place as the entire truck is completely dead (no ignition, radio, interior lights, nothing). Not sure if this truck has another module for rear lights or something similar like Mercedes or "FRM / Footwel modules" like BMW.. but the BCM is a good start. And yes, the engine is clean, cranks over, has good compression, oil and fluids have been changed - NO, engine was NOT running when flooded.

So.. the owner is going to purchase a NEW BCM (from Ford). With my limited Ford-specific experience, and what I have found on-line, here are my questions:
1) Can I program the new BCM (from Ford) using only Forscan?
2) What issues am I going to face if I only have ONE key for this vehicle?
3) Is installing a used BCM possible using only Forscan? If so, what do I need besides the donar BCM?
4) It may be worth noting: THIS IS A MEXICAN truck (built for and sold in Mexico) - any issues that may cause?
5) At the end of the day.. is it any better to just purchase a clone IDS/VCM?

The existing BCM is COMPLETELY dead, so no ability to read out anything.

I am very well versed with the BMW computer tools, cable hacking, VW diagnostics, Mercedes STAR, etc... but Ford is not my area of normal work. So please excuse my lack of understanding here. Information regarding such a new vehicle seems very sparse online. I have not normally worked on many Fords, but given my electrical knowledge.. I am finding a LOT of work available in the area I live since very VERY few people understand anything electronic here.

ThatOneDude
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab 5.4L 3V 4WD

Re: 2016 F150 Replacing BCM

Post by ThatOneDude » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:08 am

I would assume the replacement BCM (and any other modules needing replacement) would need programmed with a VCM (or equivalent) using the as-built data from Ford's service website.

That being said, on a flood truck, I would be worried about more than just the modules. (and there are many of them below the water level you described) Every wire harness below the water line would also be suspect. There are many connectors and splices that could easily be ruined by water. The amount of damage would of course depend on how long the truck was under water and salt vs fresh water.
1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive
2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab 5.4L 3V 4WD
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

deanrantala
Vehicle: 2009 Mercedes CLS550

Post by deanrantala » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:45 am

ThatOneDude wrote:I would assume the replacement BCM (and any other modules needing replacement) would need programmed with a VCM (or equivalent) using the as-built data from Ford's service website.

That being said, on a flood truck, I would be worried about more than just the modules. (and there are many of them below the water level you described) Every wire harness below the water line would also be suspect. There are many connectors and splices that could easily be ruined by water. The amount of damage would of course depend on how long the truck was under water and salt vs fresh water.

I hear ya. Personally, I would never attempt this for myself. And, I have explained this to the owner in detail (the very items you explained).. But.. This is Mexico. As long as the thing cranks and runs down the road: they care nothing about airbags, working lights, etc. If you never lived here.. you really would not understand. In fact, if I do not get it working, they will likely throw in an old carbureted 302 (with transmission) from a wrecked 1980's ford pickup and disregard all the electrical. Seriously - I see it all the time. My neighbor (and I use that word loosely) has a 2005 Mustang convertible with basically no electronics, and a old worn-out carbureted V8. The entire car looks like it survived the apocalypse. That is normal around here. There is a saying in Mexico: todo se puede.

This car was under water for roughly a few hours (maybe less). In fact, the water OUTSIDE was higher than the water got INSIDE - meaning it was not in the water long enough for the water to completely flood the interior. It seems to have reached just barely over the top of the BCM. It has sat for almost 90 days with doors open each day and the entire interior removed (seats, carpet, etc). I am sure there is certainly going to be other computer damage however.. I know water works on modern cars.. Been there, done that - more than a few times with customer BMW's.

That said, I have a mini-vci (J2534) I could use if it comes to that, but not sure if the BCM could be flashed with J2534 on this truck.. AND.. The other question hangs: will I need TWO keys? Or can I re-flash this thing and send it on its way with just the one key?

dhugo
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Mustang 2.3 ecoboost 6 spd manual. Stock

Post by dhugo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Following... I need to do the same thing on a 2015 Mustang.