FORScan Lite Beta for Android
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:43 am
Update v0.9.8beta, 2015-05-28
- Added new option 'Save debug info' (in addition to 'send' one). Added specially for users that have no mail setup. Logs are saved to Downloads/FORScan/log
- Fixed incorrect opening live data in connected mode
- improved parameters sorting in profile
Update v0.9.7beta, 2015-05-14
- last selected module is now remembered in Table, Dashboard or Graph modes
- added Drag button to the profile for more convenient sorting
- adjusted Dashboard gauges graphics (sizes, colors etc)
- fix of the send debug info function in Android 4.0
- trial period is extended until July 1st, 2015
Update v0.9.6beta, 2015-05-03
+ Added Enable/Disable Bluetooth setting (enable Bluetooth on start and disable on exit). Note: it doesn't ask for permission anymore, just enables if the setting is on, connection type is set to one of Bluetooths' and demo mode is off. Disables on exit for the same conditions.
- fixed several bugs in layout and navigation between sections in tablets
- fixed incorrect work with UTF characters in names of saved files
- fixed incorrect work with Downloads folder in some cases
- fixed delete options in open menus
- fixed small content bugs
Update v0.9.5beta, 2015-04-29
* Added "Exit" function when user taps Back from the main application window
* Added ability to save logs as TXT files to standard Downloads folder
* Added ability to save live data in CSV format to standard Downloads folder
* All documents are saved now to the standard Downloads/FORScan folder instead of internal storage
Note: it is recommended to use a file explorer (for example ES Explorer) to work with TXT and browse documents in the Downloads folder
* Fixed crash bug in the PID profile sorting procedure
* FIxed crash bug when user opens Table, Dashboard or Graphcs of module with large number of PIDs
* incorrect handling measurement units (Metric/Imperial) in some cases
Update v0.9.4beta, 2015-04-22
* Fixed Bluetooth communication bugs
* Added Bluetooth Request on applcation start
* Added Short module name on Errors page
* Added Android 4.0 support
* Fixed incorrect font size on some devices
Update v0.9.3beta, 2015-04-19
* Changes in Bluetooth 0 connection method
* Fixed bugs in sending debug information procedure
* Fixed content bugs
Update v0.9.2beta, 2015-04-19
* Fixed bug sharing files on Android versions 4.4 and higher
* Some changes in Bluetooth 0 connection method
Download link is updated. It is recommended to remove previous version before installing new one
It was decided to make public the testing version for Android . Everyone can download trial version using the link below. This version will expire in 1 month from today, and user will be suggested to download actual version for Android Play Market.
FORScan Lite limitation (differencies from FORScan for Windows):
* No Test and Service chapters. Tests is going to be added in the future
* Support of Bluetooth and WiFi adapters only. USB support may be added in the future
* Only Android v4.0 and newer devices are supported. We do not plan yet to support older versions (in our opinion, amount of such devices is already insignificant)
* This version of application is built only for ARMv7 architecture. If your device has another one, or you don’t know what it is but the application doesn’t work, please send us model and name of your device – we will add necessary archs.
* Only English language is supported yet (other of supported languages planned to be added later)
Rest of main functionality is identical to otherversions, as all versions (Windows, Android, iOS) are built on the same kernel , so only GUI is different.
How to install:
1. Enable Unknown sources installation: Settings->Security->Unknown sources
2. Open phone browser and load the application using this link:
Trial APK link
Install the application. By default, it will work in demo mode that doesn’t require an adapter. Next steps describe how to connect an adapter.
3. Connect adapter to the OBDII port and wait until it is loaded.
3.1.1. Enable Bluetooth in phone/tablet settings and pair the phone with the adapter. Current version of FORScan will work only with paired adapters!
3.1.2. In FORScan settings: disable Demo mode, select Connection type: Bluetooth 0, Bluetooth 1 or Bluetooth 2
3.1.3. Select your adapter (if not selected automatically)
Bluetooth 0 - recommended way. It is optimal for last Android versions (4.2.1 and higher). May not work with some china clones in Android versions below than 4.2.1.
Bluetooth 1 - try it if the option Bluetooth 0 doesn't work. May be preffered option for Android versions below than 4.2.1
Bluetooth 2 - an alternative implementation, may show the best results (performance and stability) on some devices with Android version below than 4.2.1. Should not work on last Android versions (4.2.1 and higher), although may still work on certain devices.
3.2.1. Enable WiFi in phone/tablet settings and connect to the adapter (select it as a WiFi access point).
3.2.2. In FORScan settings: disable Demo mode, select Connection type: WiFi, make sure IP and port settings are correct (should be correct by default, but it worth to check)
How to use:
1. Application status
FORScan status is indicated using the application icon at the upper left corner.
BLUE – application disconnected
WHITE – connection started, FORScan Lites tries to connect to the adapter
ORANGE – the application has connected to the adapter and tries to connect to the vehicle now
GREEN – FORScan Lite has successfully connected and ready to work
RED – connection failed
Also, if communication with the adapter or vehicle is performed, a circular progress bar is available in the action bar.
User can track the connection status in more details if opens the Log page of the application.
2. The user interface is similar to iOS one, so until the Android manual is not ready, documentation for iOS version can be used (Documentation chapter on the site).
3. Important feature of the Android version: if FORScan is connected to the vehicle, it will maintain the connection unless user has disconnected it manually or Android OS has killed the application to safe resources. Even if the application is in the background and user works with another application, or the phone is in sleeping mode, connection to the adapter and vehicle will be still online. This is important difference from iOS version that “freezes” adapter connection if user has switched to another application.
4. Another important feature: if FORScan is connected to the vehicle and FORScan Lite is active, the phone/tablet will not go to sleeping mode.
The application was tested with OBDLink MX and two types of china Bluetooth clones. In theory there may be some china adapters that do not work.
Bluetooth performance: In our tests china clones show minimum ping in range of 20-35 ms depending on the adapter type, phone/tablet type and some other (unknown for us) things. OBDLink MX has minimum ping in range of 7-10 ms stable. It should be counted that WiFi and Bluetooth chips of all china clones are locked to 38400, in contrast to OBDLink MX that is locked to 115200. This makes significant difference in performance, especially noticeable on vehicles with fast CAN bus.
WiFi performance: there is no any specific (comparing with Windows and iOS versions).
How to report problems:
1. Please send us short problem description (ANR, crash etc) and specify your device name and model, as well as fail conditions.
2. Send us debug information
2.1. Enable Debug mode in FORScan Settings
2.2. Reproduce the problem and go to Vehicle section, touch service icon in the action bar and choose Send debug info and send mail using Gmail or Mail application (or any application that allows to share files), or Save debug info to save the logs to Documents/FORScan/log folder.