Testing firmware update function for Ford modules

Testing new functions
warren8r
Vehicle: Ford Mustang GT with Roush Phase 2, 2020

Re: Testing firmware update function for Ford modules

Post by warren8r »

Help!
I was in the process of doing this. 2020 Mustang GT. I made it all the way to the module with 85MB (LONG).
I stayed in contact with all participating devices so that there was no pending interaction. About 1.5 hours into it, it was at 58% and just randomly said, "procedure interrupted." And "ready..." was showing.
I thought there was no way I bricked this thing, I took every measure possible. So I tried to refresh the connection to my car, it connections but then says it can't tell what kind of car.
I decided to uninstall and reinstall 2.4.3 beta...still same message. It asked for the product #, which I am glad I copy pasted, but that didnt. help. I tried to uninstall and install 2.3.42. Still unable to determine vehicle.
The dump file is too large to attach. Here is link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bu0LwH ... sp=sharing
Attachments
unabletofind.PNG
unabletofind.PNG (54.24 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

warren8r wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 am
Help!
I was in the process of doing this. 2020 Mustang GT. I made it all the way to the module with 85MB (LONG).
I stayed in contact with all participating devices so that there was no pending interaction. About 1.5 hours into it, it was at 58% and just randomly said, "procedure interrupted." And "ready..." was showing.
I thought there was no way I bricked this thing, I took every measure possible. So I tried to refresh the connection to my car, it connections but then says it can't tell what kind of car.
I decided to uninstall and reinstall 2.4.3 beta...still same message. It asked for the product #, which I am glad I copy pasted, but that didnt. help. I tried to uninstall and install 2.3.42. Still unable to determine vehicle.
The dump file is too large to attach. Here is link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bu0LwH ... sp=sharing
Pray that you saved a Profile from before you started this experiment as per the recovery procedure at this link. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18751 Something you should have read and thoroughly understood before you started!
Send your same zip file that you uploaded to google, attached to an email, to this address contact@forscan.org with a short description in the message body! Posting it here will give you little help! Hopefully you have a paid license as Paid holders(your log appears to show an activation code?) are the only ones The team responds to now!

You may have just discovered the reason that Forscan recommends wired USB adapters for this purpose!( I noticed several STPX Interruptions in your Log and at one point the connection is dropped completely, common with WIFI and not quite as common with Bluetooth but it does happen) right after a calibration/strategy .vbf file download.

The Forscan team will know more about it!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
wonko93
Vehicle: Ford Focus Titanium, 2.0L, 2012

Post by wonko93 »

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I have a 2012 Focus MkIII Titanium. I am running FORScan 2.4.3 with an ODBLink EX.

While trying to upgrade the firmware on the PAM module, when I attempt to "Test Run SBL", it fails at 2%, simply saying "Service procedure has been interrupted".
forscan.png
forscan.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 805 times
I have tried resetting the PAM module, but it did not help.

"Test Run SBL" is successful on other modules.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pete
tractmec
Vehicle: F150 5.4 Triton 2005 Expy5.4 2003 Fusion 3.0 2010

Post by tractmec »

wonko93 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:38 am
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I have a 2012 Focus MkIII Titanium. I am running FORScan 2.4.3 with an ODBLink EX.

While trying to upgrade the firmware on the PAM module, when I attempt to "Test Run SBL", it fails at 2%, simply saying "Service procedure has been interrupted".

forscan.png

I have tried resetting the PAM module, but it did not help.

"Test Run SBL" is successful on other modules.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Pete
You may have just found the reason that there is an SBL test button. Usually when this question has been asked elsewhere on the forum, FORScan usually responds with words such as, "There is no way to predict what Modules a Service Procedure can be run with so it is included for all and that error message will throw when a module is encountered that does not have the provision to run that procedure built in".

That particular Module my not be Secondary Boot loadable and there for it could be Firmware Fixed and not up-gradable! A good question would be , Why are you running these procedures as this is not a service that should be run "Just because I can"! It should only be done if there is a Ford Service Advisory that requires updating Firmware in a module to fix a problem! This is the most risky procedure ever done on a vehicle. This has been known to "brick" modules and Vehicles even in a Dealer setting with Dealer equipment!

If this as any consolation I have PAM modules in two vehicles(2003 Expedition and 2010 Fusion) that this message throws if i try to run any service procedure and the only configuration that can be done is on the Fusion and it is only two digits(0 and 1) on the 736-01-01 address, one for body style(Set to Four door in this case) and number of channels( this one is set to unknown vehicle value). The Expy is not even configurable and throws that error on any procedure I run, including Configuration and AsBuilt, and both Forscan and IDS ask whether it is 2 Sensor or 4 sensor(this one has Four) when it is first connected as apparently it matters to what they read initially!

As you asked for suggestions that is all I have! If you hold a Paid license you can roll your Log and dump.bin file into a .zip file and send to contact@forscan.org as per instructions at this page https://forscan.org/contactus.html and see what they say about it!
Do not PM me as I am not an Admin nor am I a member of the FORScan Team and all questions should be asked and answered on the Open Forum so all can benefit!
wonko93

Post by wonko93 »

tractmec wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:03 pm
That particular Module my not be Secondary Boot loadable and there for it could be Firmware Fixed and not up-gradable! A good question would be , Why are you running these procedures as this is not a service that should be run "Just because I can"! It should only be done if there is a Ford Service Advisory that requires updating Firmware in a module to fix a problem! This is the most risky procedure ever done on a vehicle. This has been known to "brick" modules and Vehicles even in a Dealer setting with Dealer equipment!
I have ordered a Sync 2 -> Sync 3 upgrade. From what I've read, once the APIM is replaced, there is a good chance that the parking assist, backup camera etc. may not function correctly, and that upgrading the PAM firmware should fix it. I was planning to be prepared, and upgrade the firmware while I wait for shipping.
As you asked for suggestions that is all I have! If you hold a Paid license you can roll your Log and dump.bin file into a .zip file and send to contact@forscan.org as per instructions at this page https://forscan.org/contactus.html and see what they say about it!
I do have a paid license (1 year), and I will see what the team has to say. It sounds like I may be better off trying to source a newer PAM module and replace it. I guess I should wait until the Sync upgrade is complete, and see what is what before I take any further action :D

Thanks for your help!
tripog
Vehicle: Explorer, Gas 5.0, 2000

Post by tripog »

So, I just got one of those Vgate vLinker FS USB adapters in today, when this programming function comes out of beta will it be able to update modules like the gem? also, what is the most recent beta with firmware programming still included?

edit just saw a new version was posted last month, I guess I missed its release.
wonko93

Post by wonko93 »

wonko93 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:01 am
I do have a paid license (1 year), and I will see what the team has to say.
FYI, I did send my debug info to the FORScan support team. They provided me with a test build, and it resolved the issue. I was able to successfully update the PAM firmware.

Wonderful support!
Noxx8342
Vehicle: Ford 6.2 411hp 2011

Hello I'm am virgin at any if this, please help.

Post by Noxx8342 »

I have a 2011 Ford raptor 6.2 svt.
Had the (pos+) cable come lose on a wash board road.
Lost all power, restarted just fine with no knowledge of the cable. Drive mabie 30yrs and again, pop good realize the issue reconnected tight, restarted ran then went dead.
No restart possible, had a issue with wire harness melted fixed it, no start, checked all fuses relays ect, ran power probe to each of the bcm pcm and fuse boxes, no issues,
Only codes popped were down hilldecent , breaks, off-road mode not functioning,.
Reset all systems only code or warning was Starting system fault and would not turn...Found a burn spot on pcmecm board, found exact match pcm online same everything, connected it and no start only warning is starting sys fault. Bypassed the start relay with bcm awake and it turns over but no start or run,. Please help
Andyfocus
Vehicle: ford focus 1.0 ecoboost (100ps) 2017

Post by Andyfocus »

changing the BCM requires your asbuilt data putting to it and calibration files , then pats reprogramming
i am the same as you just a forscan user still learning .
The search function is there for a reason use it.
no you can no longer pm me with your 1 or 0 posts so dont try.
wonko93

Post by wonko93 »

wonko93 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:36 am
FYI, I did send my debug info to the FORScan support team. They provided me with a test build, and it resolved the issue. I was able to successfully update the PAM firmware.
Happy to say that after my Sync 2 - Sync 3 upgrade, my backup camera and parking assist are still working nicely!