Cold start - engine vibrations, changing RPM - what to check

Share your FORScan experience with other users

Re: Cold start - engine vibrations, changing RPM - what to c

Postby william » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Most certainly is if they are replacing injectors free of charge.
08 mk4 mondeo 2.0 140 bhp
william

Postby rmkk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:06 pm

William, the service does it free of charge, they are very correct. But after week or so after they get injectors from store. Of course I hope that this is the reason of vibrations. Otherwise it indicates some mechanical harm of cylinders etc what I'm affraid of. See my first post, almost everything from important parts was exchanged and the engine is almost like the new one.

If engine is hot it works very well, does not eat oil nor cooling liquid. But even if hot it shakes a little sometimes. RPM is stable however Load is changing, it can be seen from "*warm.fsl".

Today in the morning I made another cold start with more PIDs to see what is changing along with RPM and what can be a cause of changing RPM. I left the engine in idle state all the time. I have few questions
- LOAD is changing from approx 45 to approx 60 regularly. Is there something (for example mechanical) that can make a regular "resistance" that causes LOAD changes to engine ?
- LOAD and RPM changes are not in sync. Should not be in sync ?
- "Vane Pos" is changing, it relates to turbocharger. I expect turbocharger to be in idle state when engine is idle. Shouldn't be ?
- "EGR_PCT" and other EGR params are changing. I expect EGR to be closed when engine is idle. Shouldn't be ?

Thanks for answer, patience and understanding.
Attachments
run20160109-evening-warm.zip
(185.11 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
run20160110-morning-cold.zip
(309.37 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
rmkk

Vehicle: Mondeo 2007/2.0TDCi/103kW, Focus 2006/1.6TDCi/66kW

Postby william » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Comparing to my car turbo seems to be working correctly, on the warm engine all seems to be working correctly apart from balance readings.

On the cold engine it is normal for egr valve to be open at idle when temperature is 13c or above, what is not normal is the egr valves behavior on the cold engine, it is constantly opening and closing and as engine load is related to air flow it changes in line with MAF.

Could egr behavior be related to bad balance pid readings as the egr works better on the warm engine when balance pids has slightly improved or is it caused by new egr not having adaptations reset when a new egr is installed.
william

Postby rmkk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:46 pm

william wrote:as engine load is related to air flow it changes in line with MAF.

Is there some implication of that for me ?

william wrote:Could egr behavior be related to bad balance pid readings as the egr works better on the warm engine when balance pids has slightly improved or is it caused by new egr not having adaptations reset when a new egr is installed.

Because I was not sure if the service made a reset after changing EGR, I made it three days ago after upgrade of PCM. I made it through Forscan "Reset EGR Valve Adaptations". What value indicates opened EGR ... EGRVP_V=0,96=closed ? EGRVP_V=1,8=opened ?

However, another reset procedures I was afraid of to execute to not destroy something. Additionally, I thought that after PCM upgrade was everything reset by default, but I'm not sure of that.

Can You suggest some more reset procedures related to components what was changed in my car ? Does "Reset all adaptations" really reset everything including DPF, IAT, Knocking sensor, ... ?

Many thanks.
rmkk

Postby william » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 pm

As the egr valve opens and closes the amount of air entering the engine changes, that's why you are seeing the changes in load values.
was egr reset with key on engine off or was engine running.
william

Postby rmkk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:34 pm

No, engine was not running.
rmkk

Postby william » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Maybe with the new injectors installed it will fix your problem.
It would be worth getting compression test when injectors are out, it would give you a good idea of the health of your engine.
Let us know how you get on.
william

Postby rmkk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:30 am

I went through the papers given to me by previous car owner and found something that can be a compression test protocol. It was probably made in 2013 when the car had 134000km (today counter shows 215000km) . It says that the cylinder 1 has the worst compression (20MPa) what seems to be the opposite result comparing to conclusion made according to CylBal_1 ... 4 values from ForScan.

Can You please look at it and try to evaluate it all together according to your experience ?

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
compressiontest-2013.png
compressiontest-2013.png (173.69 KiB) Viewed 5092 times
rmkk

Postby william » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:47 pm

I would think the high balance reading on cylinder one could be caused by the injector over fueling, when the new injectors are installed it will tell the tail.

Not sure what compression values should be on this engine but as all the values are within 15% of each other at the time of testing would have confirmed the engine to be ok.

No fault codes showing.
william

Postby rmkk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:28 pm

william wrote:as all the values are within 15% of each other at the time of testing would have confirmed the engine to be ok

If I understand You correctly - the test with new injectors shows if the engine is/is not ok. Vibrations shall be away, no fault code, improved CylBal values, no RPN and LOAD oscilations ...

Thanks
rmkk

PreviousNext

Return to Diagnostics and Maintenance using FORScan