FORScan PCM reprogramming (as-built) RX-8 (+other Mazdas...)

Any issues related to FORScan application
bretman
Vehicle: Mazdaspeed Axela 2009 2.3L Turbo 190Kw

Re: FORScan PCM reprogramming (as-built) RX-8 (+other Mazdas

Post by bretman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

One last couple of bits of info:

We found that the second brake switch sensor (BPA PID) originates from the Instrument Cluster. The JDM cluster does not have a cruise light and also does not pass on the BPA signal, even if you have the right brake switch.

If this is not present, it behaves in the same way as if you have a two wire brake switch.

... and I'm pretty sure that the majority of JDM vehicles do have a 180 Kph speed limiter.

baxevan
Vehicle: MAZDA2 2008

Post by baxevan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi there.
I have a Mazda2 DE and fitted the steering wheel with CC. Still waiting for the brake switch. I'm on the same boat.
My PCM3 Line is the only difference like the BL mazda3. The CCC data have a minor difference in first bytes.
Attachments
cc.png
cc.png (4.14 KiB) Viewed 795 times
pcm.jpg
pcm.jpg (209.04 KiB) Viewed 795 times

JamieM
Vehicle: Mazda RX-8, 2005, 13B-MSP Renesis High Power (231)

Post by JamieM » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 am

A number of people have asked now if they can change PCM1-9 as-built data bytes other than the single bit that controls cruise control on the RX-8 (which is all rx8cc can do), for experimentation or otherwise or for different Mazda cars.

To save me having to create a dedicated program for each and every car/combination, I've quickly thrown together a modified version of rx8cc that will read the current ABD from the PCM and save it to a txt file, which you can modify, and then it can load from the txt file and write the new data back to the PCM. Will still only work with PCMs similar enough to the RX-8, with the same address/layout/format of ABD (read using [21,00], 0x82 bytes long etc as per http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =10#p16553)

Since this is kind of a new tool I have called it rx8abd (version 1.0 here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b96Pe ... yDXQ2_kv0P). It has mostly the same command line options as rx8cc (run with "--help" to see).

May not work, use entirely at your own risk. Be very careful editing the text file because it WILL write anything you change in there to your PCM, calculating the checksums automatically. It does ignore whitespace and checks the length / validity of hex digits, but I accept absolutely no responsibility whatsoever if anything goes wrong, intended or not, or you break your car / ecu.

Usage:

Code: Select all

> rx8abd COM# outputFile.txt

> rx8abd COM# inputFile.txt --write
e.g.
1.png
1.png (16.22 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Then go edit the text file you specified the name of (will appear in same directory), notepad or any text editor will do.

It might be wise to make a backup of this file first... So you can go back to it if necessary...

Original abd.txt:

FFFF FFFF 03
0DFF FFFF FE
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
Let's modify it a bit:

FFFF FFFF 03
0DFF FFFF FE
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF DEAD FF
FFFF FACE FF
FFFF D00D FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
FFFF FFFF FF
(I did this on my spare ecu on my bench, so the silly values don't matter, but obviously don't use those...)
2.png
2.png (27.61 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Confirm it looks ok then type "y" followed by enter (or "n" to abort, which is the default if you just press enter)
3.png
3.png (30.37 KiB) Viewed 776 times
You can see the values changed :)

Running it in read mode (without --write) is safe and won't make any modifications to your PCM. Actually, it is a good test to see if your car is similar enough to the RX-8 to be compatible with my tools (though checking the ABD manually is still a good idea before doing any writing). Run with the --log option (just like rx8cc) to see what your VIN block looks like in comms.log (or how much of it your ELM327 is fast enough to read ;) )

Have fun!

(but be careful!)

Airborne_Ape
Vehicle: Ford, 3.5 Ecoboost, 2016

Post by Airborne_Ape » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Do this for an F150 and you'll be a millionaire overnight.

dejlo74
Vehicle: rx8 231hp 2004

Post by dejlo74 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:58 pm

i followed jamies descriptions about enabling cc on rx8 and i have used jamies both programs. awsome work you have done jamie. thanks.
everything works fine, i can get into pcm and read as built in data and even download it on my pc.
however, i am having issue with security code key. i cant get pass that to enable cc.
it seems that the security code is changed. any advice on this issue?
Attachments
20180523_210349.jpg
are these codes?
20180523_210349.jpg (156.62 KiB) Viewed 165 times