My setup for OBDLink LX bluetooth on WINE (Linux)

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions

My setup for OBDLink LX bluetooth on WINE (Linux)

Postby Mazdog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:00 am

This information is available on this forum and other sites but not in one place and not well explained, although see this post:

The common connection issue is FORScan under WINE is it can't see the ELM; it will scan only Wifi and then stop. Further setup is required to make bluetooth devices visible and accessible to WINE.

This step-by-step guide based on my experiences with getting FORScan for WINE 2.3.12 beta, OBDLink LX and Fedora 22 LXDE. I also used a USB bluetooth dongle because my old netbook doesn't have bluetooth built-in.

1. Install WINE (Microsoft Windows emulator), FORScan for WINE and blueman (bluetooth manager).
2. Launch blueman and Setup New Device. The OBDLinkLX has a button that must be pressed to make it visible.
I didn't make any custom setup. I didn't have to enter the passkey 1234.
Open Devices and you can check the OBDLinkLX serial port is rfcomm0
3. Map serial port for WINE using terminal with the following three commands:
cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
ls -l
ln -s /dev/rfcomm0
ls -l

The command ls -l simply lists the devices. The list should include com1 -> /dev/rfcomm0
4. Setup permissions for serial port access. Add your user name to the dialout group using terminal with the following commands:
sudo usermod -a -G dialout <yourusername>
grep dialout /etc/group

The second command checks the /etc/group file and should return dialout:x:18:<yourusername>
You may have to logout and login again.
5. Add serial port to Windows registry in WINE. Open the file ~/.wine/system.reg in a text editor and add the following two lines:
[Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 1015709345

6. Launch FORScan and it should now be able to see the serial port and connect to the ELM.
Vehicle: Mazda BT-50 WE-C 3.0 L 2006 4WD

Re: My setup for OBDLink LX bluetooth on WINE (Linux)

Postby borgward » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:03 pm

I added:

[Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 1015709345

to ~/.wine/system.reg. I saved it, Logged out and in but still not connecting. I checked ~/.wine/system.reg, but [Hardware\\Devicemap\\Serialcomm] 1015709345
"Serial0"="COM1" is not there. It did not get saved. I added it again and saved, but when I open it again it is not saved.
Vehicle: Fiesta SE 1.6 liter DOHC 120HP 2013

Postby martin123 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Also have same issue with my mxlink. Worked flawlessly for a while too. First elm cable now
Vehicle: transit connect 2003 1.8 tddi

Postby Patrick5 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Vehicle: Ford , Two thousand ten

Return to Adapters & Connection