Does anyone know what adapters work with Ford IDS software?

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions

Does anyone know what adapters work with Ford IDS software?

Postby braxx » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Guys,
I've been using Forscan and I love it. I use OBDLink wifi and it is great.

Recently I have been assigned a license for the Ford IDS software. Real OEM IDS software assigned to me.
The catch is they will not provide the VCM2 hardware and I'm not wanting to spend $1400 for a real VCM2.
Does anyone know what hardware will work with OEM Ford IDS software?
I don't want to buy a china VCM2 clone (might raise red flags) but if legit J2534 adapters work 100% I might be interested in going that route.
I guess I could also try my Autoenginuity and NEOVi blue/green adapters but I was looking for something a little more "solid" and no clones.
I wonder if the software is legit (which mine is) would it even matter if I used a VCM2 clone? Hmmm...

Thanks
Josh
S.E. Michigan (Metro Detroit)
braxx

Vehicle: Multiple...

Re: Does anyone know what adapters work with Ford IDS softwa

Postby dstirrup » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Not sure what reason you would have a Red Flag re a China clone as they look identical. Yes there are real quality issues (some are outright total BS garbage) and I had one die from years ago. So being an electronics technician I have done some looking around research and I have had a good run with this China clone;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-Ne ... 542.cTsmme

They also have the flight recorder (quite handy) which is the only reason I still use this clone;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Connect ... 545.NsvWrG

So if you still have an issue with clones then can I suggest your best option is to use the VXDiag box which is my goto for Ford IDS. They got smart and built a universal interface unit that emulates the VCM2 in software. If Bosch change their software driver for the VCM2 then VXdiags just update their software to ensure compatability if needed. The new generation embedded CPU's are so much quicker than the old VCM cpu so the software emulation option is the smart way to go.

The real VX product without any BS I bought direct from the manufacturer off Alliepress as well and were great to talk to and do support their product;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest- ... 0.0.Qekxgn

They also have a higher end universal VX interfaces which is apparently fantastic but I have not tried it as it is about $300 and the cheaper unit I have works fine.

Oh and the J2534 pass thru adapters don't allow you to program / flash modules and IDS does not talk to them anyways.

Hope this helps
dstirrup

Vehicle: Ford BF 2008, 4.0L 190kw, Auto 4spd

Re: Does anyone know what adapters work with Ford IDS softwa

Postby Craig_Ga » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

I have done some looking around research and I have had a good run with this China clone...

Dstirrup - Have you ever used that clone on a Diesel F250 or any 2003-2008 F series pickup? I ask because these trucks use UBP which many of the clones don't support.

Thanks!
Craig_Ga

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F-250 6.0L Powerstroke

Return to Adapters & Connection