Land Rover/Jag VCM II (Blue) vs Ford VCM2 (Red) vs TCS CDP

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions

Land Rover/Jag VCM II (Blue) vs Ford VCM2 (Red) vs TCS CDP

Postby Wangstang » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:28 pm

If you search online you'll find clones of the VCM II reported to be Ford compatible, and they are red. Price range is $100-200 USD

If you continue to dig around you'll find that their are Land Rover and Jaguar VCM2 clones which are blue. Price range is $150-300 USD

You can also find the TCS CDP in white or blue. Price range is 35-100 depending on Bluetooth options.
Multiplexer function, 2xHS CAN (ISO 11898-2), SW CAN (SAE J2411), K/L (ISO 9141-2), VPW (J1850), PWM (J1850), RS485 (J1708), TTL and (SPI, analog in, 5volt out).

I know FoMoCo ownership of Mazda, Jaguar and Land Rover impacted the use of VCM devices across all of those platforms, but is it safe to assume that a "Land Rover/Jaguar device will work with all Fords as well?

Are any one of these devices more reliable/capable of working on a wider range of vehicles than the other?

Any trends in quality control about one or the other?

Thanks
Wangstang

Vehicle: 05 Ford Escape, 3.0L V6 AutoAWD

Re: Land Rover/Jag VCM II (Blue) vs Ford VCM2 (Red) vs TCS C

Postby autotrans » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:34 am

I prefer the jlr mongoose for jaguar \ landrover also works well with forscan for ford.
the tcs cdp covers a good range of vehicles, but the chance of getting a good clone seem to be
about 50\50, so be carful who you buy from.
autotrans

Vehicle: HONDA VTEC 1600 2003

Postby Wangstang » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:28 pm

autotrans wrote:I prefer the jlr mongoose for jaguar \ landrover also works well with forscan for ford.
the tcs cdp covers a good range of vehicles, but the chance of getting a good clone seem to be
about 50\50, so be carful who you buy from.

Are you running FORScan over the mongoose cable without any lack of function?

Thanks
Wangstang

Vehicle: 05 Ford Escape, 3.0L V6 AutoAWD

Postby mikeluscher159 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:33 pm

I ordered a TCS CDP

Let's see what it can do, and if it works with FORScan
USDM 2006 Ford Taurus using a OBDLink MX

Willing to beta test
mikeluscher159

Postby autotrans » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 am

Are you running FORScan over the mongoose cable without any lack of function?

sorry for the late reply just seen this post, yes all modules seem to be available including
M S CAN.
autotrans

Vehicle: HONDA VTEC 1600 2003

Postby Reggraham » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 am

I am new to this forum and I use the JLR SDD with a DA-Dongle or a Mongoose Pro clone all the time with my Jaguar and LR LR2 , I have tested the Red VCM II with SDD that seemed OK. I downloaded FS mainly to use on my daughters Kuga with the VCM II clone which came with IDS v86. I logged on to check what UK vehicles and if the VCM II was fully supported as most of my family have Fords except me so it would be useful to have a tool that works fully across all their cars and trucks. It does seem that it is fine.
I am used to modifying the CCF on mainly Jaguars which I have done for quite a few people due to JLR's policy of making it difficult to add things like USB heated cooled memory seats etc.
Reggraham

Vehicle: Land Rover Freelander 2,2.2D,190BHP,2011

Postby Airborne_Ape » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:56 pm

autotrans wrote:
sorry for the late reply just seen this post, yes all modules seem to be available including
M S CAN.

Drew Technolgoies recently announced that the Mongoose would be discontinued and replaced by the Mongoose Pro. The new MongoosePro features significantly faster performance (10-50%). Existing Drew Tech customers that have purchased the Mongoose may be able to upgrade to the MongoosePro. The following Mongooses qualify for this upgrade:

Mongoose ISO/CAN
Mongoose Ford (PWMF)
Mongoose GM
Mongoose Chrysler
Mongoose Toyota (MFC)

If you have any of the above Mongoose versions, there are two options for upgrading to the MongoosePro here: http://www.drewtech.com/downloads/upgrade.html

I've been looking at getting a Mongoose pro once ForScan 2.4.0 is finalized. Their website was not clear on J2534-2 support, but if you can see modules on the MS CAN that seems to clear that up.

Glad to hear it works. Were you using the Mongoose or Mongoose Pro?
Airborne_Ape

Vehicle: Ford, 3.5 Ecoboost, 2016

Return to Adapters & Connection