Where to buy a compatible adapter?

Discussion about adapters and connections - usage, problems, solutions

Re: Where to buy a compatible adapter?

Postby jzchen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 am

I think far best is USB.

I put my info on the els27.ru site exactly one month ago. Unfortunately I haven't received my invoice!

There seems another good adapter, but significantly more expensive, CANtieCAR, available here:

http://www.tiecar.net/CANtieCAR_Shop_12.html#CANtieCAR4
jzchen

Vehicle: C-MAX Energi, 2.0L I-4, Atkinson/188 hp net, 2013

Postby Wangstang » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Wangstang wrote:I need a little help with sorting through the options...Three quick questions so I can get an answer directly from those of you who are well versed as I learn my way....
1) Are there any advantages to using wifi or Bluetooth adapters if accessing the system over a phone?

2) Which specific adapter model/manufacturer & seller source would you recommend for a user in the United States who would like the most reliable and wide functional range? If you can provide that info for wifi/Bluetooth & USB adapters, I would appreciate it.

I'm planning to also run FORscan on Windows so I assume it would be wise to purchase a USB corded adapter to run directly to the laptop vs using built in Bluetooth/wireless to connect to an adapter with a cordless adapter.

Thanks for your help

Bringing over to page 8.

I'd prefer to avoid an overseas distributor who doesn't use a US based front end store like Amazon or eBay as I've been burned in the past with no recourse.
Wangstang

Vehicle: 05 Ford Escape, 3.0L V6 AutoAWD

Postby jibo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:13 pm

While the Hikeran did most of what I needed to do, it could not access all of the modules I wanted to change.

I purchased a OBDLink MX Bluetooth

had to remove my vehicle profile and change the settings in forscan to use the COM port not the Bluetooth port and VOILA, I can access a ton of modules now, probably 3-4 x the amount.

"You get what you pay for" to some degree does apply here...
So while the OBDLink MX Bluetooth is about 5X the price of the Hikeran, in my case, it was required. and at $100 CAN, it really isn't too bad still...
jibo

Vehicle: Ford F-150, 2.7L Ecoboost, 2016

Postby jibo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Wangstang wrote:I need a little help with sorting through the options...Three quick questions so I can get an answer directly from those of you who are well versed as I learn my way....
1) Are there any advantages to using wifi or Bluetooth adapters if accessing the system over a phone?

2) Which specific adapter model/manufacturer & seller source would you recommend for a user in the United States who would like the most reliable and wide functional range? If you can provide that info for wifi/Bluetooth & USB adapters, I would appreciate it.

I'm planning to also run FORscan on Windows so I assume it would be wise to purchase a USB corded adapter to run directly to the laptop vs using built in Bluetooth/wireless to connect to an adapter with a cordless adapter.

Thanks for your help

1) Wifi will usually be faster then Bluetooth, I have only used Bluetooth adapters so far.

2) OBDLink MX Bluetooth will work flawlessly with Windows via Bluetooth so long as you set the option within FORScan to use the com port for communication, instead of Auto or Bluetooth. Then you will see the most modules.

It is pricier then a straight USB cable, but i can confirm it reads every protocol and tracking down the exact cable might be some guessing.
jibo

Vehicle: Ford F-150, 2.7L Ecoboost, 2016

Postby dstirrup » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:08 pm

I am somewhat surprised that there is such a volume of discussion of complaints about compatibility when there is such a simple solution.

I bought the real chips from ELM and replaced the junk chinese chips in 2 of the adaptors. They get their royalty, I get a real ELM327 and the chinese provide a nice box and PCB for far cheaper and easier than making my own.

It is not hard to swap the chips.

Only downside is the freight from Canada was pricey but hey, all north american freight is overpriced. No wonder the chinese can whip the commercial posterior of the yanks internationally.
dstirrup

Vehicle: Ford BF 2008, 4.0L 190kw, Auto 4spd

Postby johanliam » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Maybe this is a good reference, http://www.mudah.my/ELS27+FORScan+Works ... 419219.htm

Vehicle: Ford Fiesta 2017

Postby ou8er2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 pm

The BAFX OBD2 BT reader works great with my 2017 F150 XLT but I am only getting to see The APIM Module, BCM Module x 2, and the PAM Module. I am wondering if the MX OBD2 reader will show me more modules.
ou8er2

Vehicle: 2017 F150 XLT 5.0L NA

Postby DanfocusZS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Just bought this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-USB-mo ... 2749.l2649

Hoping it can program keys, and save me a fortune??

What do you guys reckon???

Cheers

dan
DanfocusZS

Vehicle: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 ti-vvc 113bhp, 2009

Postby DirtyHarry » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:12 pm

I bought mine from amazon$29 model ELMconfig by ohp. It has a switch to toggle between HA-can and MS-can.

What you also need is the drivers for windows (google);
CDM v2.12.26 WHQL Certified

Unzip to windows/system32 for 32bit windows
or
unzip the windows/SySWOW64 for 64 bit windows

also ELMconfig runtimepack (google for it)

It's best to organize your downloads to a new directory like sync2, so you'll be able to find everything.

My sync2 took about 20 minutes to load the Nav once you prep all the usb update files are loaded to separate usb's.
DirtyHarry

Vehicle: Explorer, 3.5v6/280hp, 2016

Postby DanfocusZS » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Yeah, I'm not too keen on running the latest drivers, I have other Interfaces with ftdi this that will.go tits up if I run 12.24 drivers or newer. I'll stay in my current driver's as it works fine.

cheers

Dan
DanfocusZS

Vehicle: Ford Focus Zetec S 1.6 ti-vvc 113bhp, 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Adapters & Connection